Re-open the thread saying banned for emotes!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Digitality

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

If this is a bannable offense the game shouldn't allow for it to even occur. He's using a mechanic within the game. Personally I would see it as a tactic to create distress and ruin the focus of my opponent. And since the game mechanically allows me to do it I would consider it a valid tactic.

There's even countermeasures available if you don't have the mental fortitude to tune it out. You can disable the sounds, or mute that trash talker who's trying to get you off your game.

Digitality

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeykris View Post
"It's part of the game" and "the game allows you to do it" is a terrible defense. The game allows you to do a lot of things, including:

-spamming bad words in chat
-saying negative things to your teammate
-buying five pairs of boots
-running into turrets over and over

There's nothing physically stopping you from doing any of these activities. Using the chat isn't wrong. Using the store isn't wrong. Even taking turret aggro isn't wrong - in the right situation. WHAT do you with these things is what matters - context.

If someone got perma banned for this I'd be on their side, but they weren't, they got warned. Even if the Summoner's code was a single line: "Don't be a dick." this would fall under that.
And with chat programs comes the knowledge (We've had two decades to learn it) that what people say can't be controlled, only moderated.

This is a function of the game itself and entirely within the control of the developers to do with as they please. It can be throttled. Just like they "nerfed" laugh spam.

Mecha Whitebeard

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeykris View Post
"It's part of the game" and "the game allows you to do it" is a terrible defense. The game allows you to do a lot of things, including:

-spamming bad words in chat
-saying negative things to your teammate
-buying five pairs of boots
-running into turrets over and over

There's nothing physically stopping you from doing any of these activities. Using the chat isn't wrong. Using the store isn't wrong. Even taking turret aggro isn't wrong - in the right situation. WHAT do you with these things is what matters - context.

If someone got perma banned for this I'd be on their side, but they weren't, they got warned. Even if the Summoner's code was a single line: "Don't be a dick." this would fall under that.
All 4 of those examples are examples of what PLAYERS can do.

All 4 of those suggestions are also blatantly AGAINST the summoners code as they are all trolling.

I have never seen a thread/admin/PHREAK HIMSELF SAID TO SPAM SINGED'S LAUGH ever tell another user that they may not use the IN-GAME emoticons for whatever reason.

diggyla

11-13-2012

The question that this thread raises would appear to be, "Should the act of being annoying result in a ban?"

There are a few problems that I have with bans related to someone simply being considered annoying by their teammates. The main problem I see is that annoyance is subjective (different people have different views on whether or not a specific action is annoying or not).

One person might find the champion taunt annoying while it might bring a smile to another teammate's face. In the same sense a player might end up with Annie in this Aram. This player might decide to play ad Annie. This kind of gameplay might very well annoy a portion of the community, but another portion might think of this as an entertaining way to play the game.

I'll bet there are a lot of people here who find humor in this kind of Game-play who might really enjoy playing with a person like the one who was banned. Others here might read the above statement and think, "are you crazy? Why would you want to play with that?" Again, it's subjective; it's a ban based on a shared personal opinion among a portion of the community.

I am not against the tribunal nor against Riot banning people for clearly defined reasons. I do see a problem with how vague the rules are. If there was a clearly defined rule saying "Emotes are not allowed to be used more than x number of times per minute", then players would have a clearer understanding of what is or is not permissible behavior. If there were clearly defined rules on such matters, the player would have known that they are objectively breaking a clearly defined rule; there would be no questioning whether or not their actions were a violation or not. This is not the case however, which leads to these kinds of threads and the confusion that we so often see on the forums.

YuSira

11-13-2012

To me, the 4th game would have caused me to punish him.
I don't take lightly to things of this nature though:

Kog'Maw [00:07:25] gay
Kog'Maw [00:07:51] ya
Kog'Maw [00:07:55] noob akali

To me Gay isn't an insult word and I have a tendancy to punish more when it is used as such. Regardless, to me it seems more than one person was using that account since the typing styles between the Corki game and the Kog'maw game changed drastically - and that is a bannable offense.

RavenMagus

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Whitebeard View Post
All 4 of those examples are examples of what PLAYERS can do.

All 4 of those suggestions are also blatantly AGAINST the summoners code as they are all trolling.

I have never seen a thread/admin/PHREAK HIMSELF SAID TO SPAM SINGED'S LAUGH ever tell another user that they may not use the IN-GAME emoticons for whatever reason.
Spamming emotes is also something the PLAYER can do, as allowed by the game, just as they can use the chat system or buy five boots. It's just like spamming insults in chat.

It says right there in the summoner's code: Enjoy Yourself, but not at Anyone Else’s Expense. Using laughs and emotes is fine, but there's a line to be crossed, and when people ask you to stop because you're abusing it, it's probably time to stop.

Yozaru

11-13-2012

How am i supposed to carry as taric if im not spamming his joke

Pin Heel Surfer

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuSira View Post
To me, the 4th game would have caused me to punish him.
I don't take lightly to things of this nature though:

Kog'Maw [00:07:25] gay
Kog'Maw [00:07:51] ya
Kog'Maw [00:07:55] noob akali

To me Gay isn't an insult word and I have a tendancy to punish more when it is used as such. Regardless, to me it seems more than one person was using that account since the typing styles between the Corki game and the Kog'maw game changed drastically - and that is a bannable offense.
Hi. I'm the guy who got banned for "spamming" emotes.

For those who are saying that I insulted Akali in game #4 - he is my friend. We were both on mumble but my mic wasn't working at the time. He said something homosexual in mumble so i typed "gay" in chat directed towards him.
He went to get himself executed in the tower but then someone caught him before he got to the tower. That's why I said noob akali.

Also, the reason why I was given a time ban vs a warning is because of an earlier case that is completely unrelated to taunt "spamming."

Gewcebawcks

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Heel Surfer View Post
Hi. I'm the guy who got banned for "spamming" emotes.

For those who are saying that I insulted Akali in game #4 - he is my friend. We were both on mumble but my mic wasn't working at the time. He said something homosexual in mumble so i typed "gay" in chat directed towards him.
He went to get himself executed in the tower but then someone caught him before he got to the tower. That's why I said noob akali.

Also, the reason why I was given a time ban vs a warning is because of an earlier case that is completely unrelated to taunt "spamming."
So if you and your friend are walking down the street, and me and my friend who happens to be a homosexual female pass by you, and we hear you insulting each other "for fun" by calling each other gay, or saying "that's gay", it's ok because you were talking to your friend?

How about someone with dark skin and the N-Word?

There were 8 other players in that game and you used hate-speak.

Ban deserved.

How is this thread still open???

messymike

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAMorgan View Post
RIOT has the final say on many, if not most, tribunal matters.

So this is just false.

RIOT does ban people, and if they "didn't" then the system they implemented did.
Which is the EXACT same thing.

they only review perma bans btw...