Vladimir Rune Analysis Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VeiledSpectre

11-19-2012

Hey everyone,

I bought Vladimir a while back and I've been playing with him pretty much as much as possible and he's easily my favorite champion. I had a few questions about runes and rune analysis. From what I gather and what I've seen, the only real rune selection for marks at the current moment are MPen reds. No other AP based Mark really seems worth it, so those runes aren't really in question for me. The difficulties appear when dealing with the Yellow and Blue runes.

First the Yellow runes. I personally feel that running anything other than Health Yellows isn't really building Vlad to his full potential. While I cede that certain yellows may be more situationally advantageous in providing mitigation or soak, The health statistic procs his passive Crimson Pact and will eventually turn into AP. Because of this, I feel that Health yellows are "generally" a pretty safe bet, and at the end of the day, the most efficient bet. The only issue is whether to grab the scaling health or the flat health. The flat health is worth more in the early game, whereas the scaling health is worth more in the late game. Vlad's early game is really weak, so part of me thinks that one should spring for the flat healths to compensate. On the other hand, conventional rune guides seem to favor scaling runes as they do reward you more. My question is this: would the early game benefit from having flat runes to mitigate vlad's weak early game compound enough over the course of the average game to make up for the disadvantage the flat runes become in the endgame?

I struggle with the above theory as well as it applies to AP Blue runes. The question of trading scaling AP for Flat AP so that the early game is slightly better seems potentially interesting, but I'm not sure if the benefit is enough, even compounded over the course of a 20 minute game, to warrant taking them over scaling runes. Also, Blue runes offer another interesting and enticing choice for runes: CDR runes. In my experience with Vlad so far, one of the most painful things about levels 1-5 are the high cooldowns on your abilities. Is taking CDR runes worth the loss of the potential AP (and thus health that you would receive from Crimson Pact)? As your spells cd's become shorter, and you cast them more, you are able to sustain better and longer and increase your DPS, but at the same time, you're trading power on each hit. Is the CDR provided enough to warrant the trade-off in power, or is it mathematically not viable?

Moving on to my third issue, the best quintessences for Vlad are generally agreed upon to be either AP or Transmutation Quints. Again, AP is a really attractive stat because it synergizes with Crimson Pact, providing health. On the other hand, getting 3 Transmutation quints provides one with 6% spell vamp at the start of the game, HALF the spell vamp from Hextech Revolver, and with Hextech revolver, gives you nine-tenths of the spell vamp you would normally see from WotA at only a 1400 gold investment. Again, is the power provided by the AP (and the Health) outweighed by the utility of the spell vamp? is 6% enough to warrant trading out that power? Finally, what about Movement Speed Quintessences? In my personal experience, despite being a level 21 summoner, I've noticed that Vlad has a lack of range, no easy mobility, and no CC. This makes kiting and poking and trading blows with Q occasionally difficult, especially in the early game when making it to a location can be the difference between life, death, and a little extra CS. Would a set of MS Quints provide enough utility and mobility to both warrant trading out the Transmutation Quint set or the AP Set, or are the utility benefits from the MS quints not worth the extra damage or sustain on Vlad? Should I just practice my positioning more and deal with the base speed he has?

Does anyone who plays Vlad frequently in the higher ELO's and/or competitively have any insights to add/anything to say?

Great Pyrenees

11-19-2012

I am not a high elo but i have played hundreds of games on vlad. You are absolutly correct in your analysis. It is my opinion that you should build the rune set you personally enjoy the most because you trust it the most. As for myself I built flat armor yellows and flat mag resist blues because in season 2 this allowed me to top lane any champion with no fear of dying and yes the 6% spell vamp made a huge difference for me. The beauty of Vlad is he is almost ungankable. Going into season 3 being tanky is simply not going to help because Armor will cost 20% more and damage 20% less basically a 40% swing. So death is going to happen and we will see a wild west mentality of glass cannons. On that note you may consider AP per lvl yellows blues and quints. Hope this gave you some ideas.

Notorious P I P

11-20-2012

I have found scaling magic resist blues to be much better than the flats.

VeiledSpectre

11-20-2012

Why on earth would one take MR blues of any sort? I mean... wouldn't the synergy between the two AP choices with Crimson Pact, or the advantage gained by CDR runes to your early high CDs be better choices than a little extra magic resist? Its not like even with runes Vlad is a great tank... Or is this more of a meta thing?

Klondiekbar

11-20-2012

You're never going to give Vlad a good early game. There's little point in wasting runes to try to do it at the expense of the late game.

BUT, if you feel like your overall game is better because you have a safer early game, go for it. The runes are there for your preferences.

VeiledSpectre

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondiekbar View Post
You're never going to give Vlad a good early game. There's little point in wasting runes to try to do it at the expense of the late game.

BUT, if you feel like your overall game is better because you have a safer early game, go for it. The runes are there for your preferences.
Hrm... I don't know... I've only just bought a few T3 MPen Marks and already I feel like I notice a substantial difference than with not having them...