Thought process behind removing thornmail?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amariithynar

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
It's a trap in most cases, but in the niche case that it's useful, it's too strong. I also have a few design issues with it; for instance, it scales with your opponent's power (yes, I know there are abilities that do this), and it's targeted against a group of characters that is already weak on the map.
Can i get you to check this out, Nome? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=31333004 wherein I detail why Frozen Heart is the superior choice to Thornmail in all but the 1v1 instance, for not much more than the cost and with a better intermediate step before the high cost recipe.

The opponent's power scaling isn't even enough to make it worthwhile considering the aura reduction from FH of their attack speed will save you more health differential in the long run, even against a fed Tryn.

SummonAddict

11-13-2012

I know this is a very unique case, but how does this affect countering Olaf? Since after his ult Randuin's doesn't affect him and Thornmail is usually my strongest counter against him due to his lifesteal/spellvamp.

FDMasakaki

11-13-2012

Quote:
This is where I defer to the last point, where it's targeted towards a group of characters that are already disadvantaged on the map.
but, but, but....my rammus T_T

OnlyBotLane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Imagine a version for MR. Where if you caught out a tank as an ap and tried to nuke them but imstead you burst yourself for just as much damage and they killed you.

Kevy21

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Quote:
This is where I defer to the last point, where it's targeted towards a group of characters that are already disadvantaged on the map.
Are you being freaking serious? disadvantaged?

....You sir need to play more.....You would only Ever build an item like a thornmail if the other team has a crazy out of control fed ADC that's at a MASSIVE advantage.

Even then Thornmail is hardly ever used, Exhaust/CC is way more effective gonna remove them too with your logic?

Axil

11-13-2012

People actually bought thornmail?

ImaPBSkid

11-13-2012

Last week or so i've seen 4-5 thornmail in every game. It has the highest armor/gold cost in the game. Even against champs like Riven, Darius, Rengar, ect. it's a good pick. In fact, as these types of champs don't care about attack speed, it's a superior choice to randuins or frozen heart in my opinion.

The Bruise or Lose meta just got even stronger.

Shnksy

11-13-2012

The problem in general is what that item does and what can counter it. In SR you can buy a BT and just out lifesteal the damage for the most part making the it generally not worth buying. But then when you can't have that same lifesteal anymore it becomes too powerful making you just kill yourself when trying to attack someone.

Ariana Grande

11-13-2012

Frozen Heart was always better than thornmail.

Yefo

11-13-2012

Quote:
I know the theory is that it shuts down ranged ADs, but I think in practice (at least for me), it is used against teams that try to abuse the Bruiser meta by picking 3 of them.