All about Riven!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Empyrius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Hey all, im a fairly decent player with most champs. I have to say im most comfortable in jungle, top and mid in that order. I can support well but my adc is my weakest. However the thing i am best at would have to be Riven. My god my win rate with her is in the upper 70-75%. I started season 2 and have played her more than 500 games. If you have a question about what she would do in a certain situation ill let you know. Who she counters and how, who counters her and how. What she can do etc. Ask away!

ShatteredSkys

01-11-2013

Hi I'm a riven player too been playing her quite a bit., I know hour supposed to autoattck in between her spells but so much is going on I have trouble doing this do you have any tips to do this better?

Enygm4

01-11-2013

I have a doubt, since I bought her in season 2 I was only played her as tanky dps or bruiser, I mean 09/21/00 and a build like frozen mallet, blood, maw of malmortius, mercury, atma's and mercury threads, switching my blood or my maw for raduin's sometimes or wits end, warmog, etcetera.
But now all the world is calling me noob cause of this build, they said that I have to play her AD, pure AD, black cleaver, phantom, infinity, blood, etc
Which is the best build for her?

Empyrius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredSkys View Post
Hi I'm a riven player too been playing her quite a bit., I know hour supposed to autoattck in between her spells but so much is going on I have trouble doing this do you have any tips to do this better?
Mostly its just pacing yourself in between. There is usually a gut urge, "OMG gotta burst him down FAST" which makes alot of players waste all their abilities. It takes patience and practice to get her timing down. You will most certainly waste some stacks of her passive, but try to maximize each hit in between. Try some jungle riven, this will help you practice on mobs that are not much of a threat but helps you pace yourself.

Empyrius

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygm4 View Post
I have a doubt, since I bought her in season 2 I was only played her as tanky dps or bruiser, I mean 09/21/00 and a build like frozen mallet, blood, maw of malmortius, mercury, atma's and mercury threads, switching my blood or my maw for raduin's sometimes or wits end, warmog, etcetera.
But now all the world is calling me noob cause of this build, they said that I have to play her AD, pure AD, black cleaver, phantom, infinity, blood, etc
Which is the best build for her?
Riven has only a few builds that she can play effectively. It sounds like you were trying to build her a typical bruiser. High HP, decent defenses, decent attack. However the main problem with this build is Sustain. All Riven players have this issue, especially since they are nerfing her sustain even more. What this means is you need life steal at all costs. Typically this comes in the form of Bloodthirster.

Bloodthirster is a must need item on almost ALL riven players. It gives great attack and lifesteal. Since riven is a great pusher she can farm the minions up very fast as well.

The build most people play with her is pure attack. Sure they do get some armor and MR but mostly AD is the best thing for her. Your "Armor" is supposed to be your shield which scales with AD and absorbs most damage in 1v1 fights, in team fights its doesnt help greatly but can save your life. The logic behind riven is to quickly burst your enemies down, thus you need AD,. If you also get into prolonged fights Using your valor wisely should mitigate most damage.

My builds usually start
Boots + 3 hp pots
Rush Bloodthirster (if i won exchanges)
Rush Brutilizer
Upgrade boots( ninja tabi or merc treads, depends on situation)
Guardian angle-This gives armor, mr, and a rez.
Finish black cleaver.
After this you have 4 slots filled. If you need damage, pick up damage that is based on enemy team build.
If you need more HP warmogs
More armor-Randuins

fletche00

01-12-2013

What would you recommend for the Jungle, as in Runes/Masteries/Build?

I mainly play her top, but never really found her niche in the jungle, what do you suggest?

Empyrius

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletche00 View Post
What would you recommend for the Jungle, as in Runes/Masteries/Build?

I mainly play her top, but never really found her niche in the jungle, what do you suggest?

Well Riven jungle season 3 is a bit hard. Since she does have aoe, but shes a major single target hit. She usually takes a bit more damage than other champions in the jungle.

There are 3 possible builds that you should have for Riven in jungle:
1)AD red runes, Armor yellow seals, MR/lvl blue, and AD Purple Quint.
2)ArmPpen red runes , armor yllow seals, mor/lvl blue, and armpen Purple quint
3)Same runes as above, but mix AD,ArmPen.

I usually either use builds 1 and 3 in jungle. Since season three i have found build one works best, since she builds armor pen pretty early in her builds. The biggest issue with riven jungle is knowing how to jungle.

1) Get a leash (usually mid champ will help and if you want red or blue the corresponding side may help.
2) Know when to charge up her passive. If you do this correctly you will start the first pull with full stacks of her passive. This is done by starting her broken wings at 1:29 and activating her ability at the last moment.
3)With a decent pull and hitting in between you should be fine with most other jungle mobs. Make sure to single hit one first then Ki burst. This will stun them and maximize your damage.

I usually start cloth armor 5 pots as well in the jungle. This is to help in lane ganks, hunters machete doesn't help there and the damage difference between the two is very small, however it increases your surlivability.

Enygm4

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikyre View Post
Mostly its just pacing yourself in between. There is usually a gut urge, "OMG gotta burst him down FAST" which makes alot of players waste all their abilities. It takes patience and practice to get her timing down. You will most certainly waste some stacks of her passive, but try to maximize each hit in between. Try some jungle riven, this will help you practice on mobs that are not much of a threat but helps you pace yourself.
Lol thank you, I used your advice today and it worth it too much.

But I saw the post of jungle riven and makes me remember that I tried it in season 2, and her clean time sucks so I've never used riven jungle again.
Now I want to try ! And reading that cloth is best than machete for the team and ganks, you upgrade it to wriggle's? If the answer is yes, I can buy a machete too, assuming that her clean is slow.
And finally, trinity force can be a situational item? With the purpose of boost my passive?

Empyrius

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygm4 View Post
Lol thank you, I used your advice today and it worth it too much.

But I saw the post of jungle riven and makes me remember that I tried it in season 2, and her clean time sucks so I've never used riven jungle again.
Now I want to try ! And reading that cloth is best than machete for the team and ganks, you upgrade it to wriggle's? If the answer is yes, I can buy a machete too, assuming that her clean is slow.
And finally, trinity force can be a situational item? With the purpose of boost my passive?
Glad you used some of the advice. Yes cloth armor gets upgraded to the item that builds into wriggles. Depending on the situation, i usually do great ganks and get a bunch of money. If i get great money reserves i try to rush Blood thirster. I find wriggles isnt to worth it but the item below it is still decent to have for clear times.

I usually never build Trinity. It is good, however it doesnt give enough pure stats to make it wort it. Riven usually doesnt need attack speed, crit, mana. the slow is decent and the sheen passive are the only thing going for it. It is usually better to get an item like Last whisper which allows your attacks to do more damage.

Boomstick II

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikyre View Post
Well Riven jungle season 3 is a bit hard. Since she does have aoe, but shes a major single target hit. She usually takes a bit more damage than other champions in the jungle.

There are 3 possible builds that you should have for Riven in jungle:
1)AD red runes, Armor yellow seals, MR/lvl blue, and AD Purple Quint.
2)ArmPpen red runes , armor yllow seals, mor/lvl blue, and armpen Purple quint
3)Same runes as above, but mix AD,ArmPen.

I usually either use builds 1 and 3 in jungle. Since season three i have found build one works best, since she builds armor pen pretty early in her builds. The biggest issue with riven jungle is knowing how to jungle.

1) Get a leash (usually mid champ will help and if you want red or blue the corresponding side may help.
2) Know when to charge up her passive. If you do this correctly you will start the first pull with full stacks of her passive. This is done by starting her broken wings at 1:29 and activating her ability at the last moment.
3)With a decent pull and hitting in between you should be fine with most other jungle mobs. Make sure to single hit one first then Ki burst. This will stun them and maximize your damage.

I usually start cloth armor 5 pots as well in the jungle. This is to help in lane ganks, hunters machete doesn't help there and the damage difference between the two is very small, however it increases your surlivability.
I love Riven as well, and just wanted to add to this:

For runes -
I would strongly suggest flat AD for both reds and quints. Skip the ArP. Higher AD = higher shield (and therefore less damage done to you in the jungle), plus I feel that the extra AD will actually help her clear faster than the ArP would anyway.

In other words, I suggest:
Reds - AD
Yellows - Armor
Blues - MR/lvl OR flat CDR
Quints - AD

The CDR can help immensely as well as it will give you faster clear times (use skills more often, which contribute to AoE damage) as well as giving you more up-time on your shield in the jungle to keep you healthy. You'll lack a little in MR unless you build some though, so I would suggest mercs + one other MR item (either maw or GA probably)

I personally feel that she can be pretty great in the jungle as well.