Adding [Number of Wins] to the matchmaking parameters

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 24
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

11-12-2012
1 of 16 Riot Posts

We recently just rolled out a beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in NA only. When we make sure it has the desired effects, we'll turn it on globally.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the [Number of Wins] a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar [Number of Wins] as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar [Elo]. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in [Number of Wins]--it's just more rare.

Happy to discuss the matchmaking change here or any other matchmaking questions players might have. For reference, I've provided some older matchmaking discussions we've had in the past:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1827767
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1976101

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.

Super Explosion

11-12-2012

!

Retrosketch

11-12-2012

"Lyte is my hero"

I MAKE IT HAPPEN

11-12-2012

!!

Mr Richard101

11-12-2012

but number of wins doesnt directly mean a more skilled player... that applies especially to ranked. you can have plat level players who have <10 ranked wins in the same game with honestly bad players who have 200 wins, but still hover around 1200 elo.

have you tested how this will affect matchmaking speed? you said itll be trying to do this for the first few minutes... my queues are sub 20 seconds usually. does that mean that my queue time will be pushed to a few minutes? just so i can be matched with people with similar pointless stats?

Eruzi

11-12-2012

That's nice

Ashno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

first page yay.
Thanks lyte!

DuckyFriend

11-12-2012

finally, in normals i won't feel like the least win person
thanks lyte

Zerglinator

11-12-2012

Truly, you are our guiding Lyte.

Ballbag69

11-12-2012

Yes

1234511 ... 24