Enemy has no mresist items: Void Staff or Haunting Guise?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadow Master

11-12-2012

So I've noticed lately that in a lot of matches the opposing team doesn't build any mresist items whatsoever, even when I'm playing mid and laying waste to their team with powerful AoE abilities and/or single target nukes.

I'm about as far from math as a XI century peasant, nor do I know the formulas for how these stats are calculated, so my question is: which item is more beneficial in such a scenario?

Assuming I already have Sorcerer's Shoes, should I get Void Staff with its % magic penetration, or should I opt for the flat magic penetration provided by Haunting Guise?

In other words, which item removes more mresist from champions who are only boasting their default mresist without any extra mresist from items?

Adinsx

11-12-2012

Average MR at lvl 18 (with mr/lvl blues): 65.

With Sorcerer's Shoes their effective MR is 45.

If you buy a Haunting Guise their effective MR is 25.

If you buy a Void Staff their effective MR is 18 (edit: 27).

But you also have to take cost into account, which I'm sort of too lazy too do.

Edit: lol I'm dumb. Multiplied 45 mr by .4 instead of .6

Amatzikahni

11-12-2012

It's situational. If you know your opponents are smart enough to start getting MR pretty soon, a Void Staff would easily be the best choice. However, in early game, grabbing lots of flat MP will make your abilities deal true damage while your enemies are still building their core, and you can snowball well until they start grabbing MR and you can sell an item for Void Staff if it's a big problem since you're so fed.

If your opponents are too stupid to build MR, then grabbing flat MP is your best bet. Teach them to build properly by destroying them with near-true damage.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-12-2012

Let's take the 65 MR base.

Sorceror's Shoes give +20 magic penetration.
Void Staff gives 40% magic penetration.
Haunting Guise gives +20 magic penetration.

Flat magic penetration is always calculated first, and it's very simple.

You take the enemy's magic resist and you subtract your flat penetration.

So for an enemy with 65 MR, Sorceror's Shoes treats them like they have 45 MR. You'll always build Sorceror's Shoes, so you're always getting this.

Now, if we build Haunting Guise, that'll reduce their MR by another 20, down to 25.

Alternatively, if we don't build Haunting Guise, but instead build Void Staff, we'll reduce their 45 MR by 40%. This will leave them with 27 MR.

So, in the case where the enemy is building no MR, Haunting Guise not only leaves them with less MR, but it's also like 700 gold cheaper.

Abyssal Scepter is another item to consider here as well.

TheOneMillion

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Let's take the 65 MR base.

Sorceror's Shoes give +20 magic penetration.
Void Staff gives 40% magic penetration.
Haunting Guise gives +20 magic penetration.

Flat magic penetration is always calculated first, and it's very simple.

You take the enemy's magic resist and you subtract your flat penetration.

So for an enemy with 65 MR, Sorceror's Shoes treats them like they have 45 MR. You'll always build Sorceror's Shoes, so you're always getting this.

Now, if we build Haunting Guise, that'll reduce their MR by another 20, down to 25.

Alternatively, if we don't build Haunting Guise, but instead build Void Staff, we'll reduce their 45 MR by 40%. This will leave them with 27 MR.

So, in the case where the enemy is building no MR, Haunting Guise not only leaves them with less MR, but it's also like 700 gold cheaper.

Abyssal Scepter is another item to consider here as well.
This guy has it right.

Jowabunga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Keep in mind, this is changing. Not only is flat mpen getting a nerf in the big item patch, but % pen will be calculated before flat. Right now I agree - guise is better for low MR situations.

Shadow Master

11-12-2012

Hm, I didn't know flat mpen was literally the amount of mresist it reduced.

I thought it was an "mpen rating" like in various RPGs, where the rating doesn't actually equal to the amount of the opposing stat it reduces, but instead has a certain amount of stat it reduces per point of rating.

Good to know.