Almost level 30 with bugger all to show

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdunSaveMe

11-12-2012

I'm almost level 30. I just hit 29 yesterday. The problem with this is that I have less than 60 wins, and more losses than wins. I'm getting matched with people that have upwards of 500 wins and we only seem to win the game out of pure luck or one or two decent players.
Exactly how am I supposed to get better if I'm being matched against people that know what they're doing and are extremely good at it? I'm not a pro player, I'm relatively mediocre. But I know how to communicate with a team and I don't rage at people, but I do get raged at because of my skill level. I don't even know what to do about this.
I'm pretty much losing all confidence in this. Maybe if someone could play a couple of games with me, maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong. There's got to be someone around here who doesn't hate bad players.

Edit: I also wasn't sure which board to put this in, so it might be in the wrong one.

etharian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

don't lose hope. i find you learn more playing against better players. after all if all u do is play against bad players then you can get away with making the same mistakes every game,or b led to think a champion or lane match up is better than it actually is. obviously this is only really effective in laning phase cuz u can see what the opponent is doing that beats what ur doing.

do they have sustain and u don't? that means you can't rely on poking ur opponent down because they will heal between small trades. are they all burst damage or ability based? because you can take advantage of being able to poke them or avoid 'all in' engagements.

also patience is king. if the enemy in lane has an advantage be passive. stay back. let them try and freeze the lane and just stay within range for exp. being 1k behind in gold a level behind in exp is better than giving the enemy a kill having no gold yourself and possibly giving them a tower.

is someone on ur team doing well but you're losing the lane? try and ask them to give u a gank. even if u don't land a kill it can help relieve the lane pressure and give you some breathing room. and vice versa if you're doing well but a team lane is suffering. try and even it out a bit by roaming after you push your lane.

roaming doesn't always work out though. sometimes its best to let the opponent take the tower and let the lane push some so the dangers of being ganked is less since they have to invade deeper into enemy territory. this should allow u to free farm and hopefully catch back up.

at the same time if an team mate has a tendancy to not help when u gank or is so unskilled or far behind roaming to another lane can just put u further behind.

the best advice is not to give up. play smart. learn how to farm under turret . and most of all see what ur opponent is doing thats making them win. worse case scenario u can just pick the champ they were playing next game and copy their build and playstyle. it'll help u see why it worked so well for them and maybe how to deal with it better and what to expect next time.

hope it helps!

AdunSaveMe

11-12-2012

That helps a lot actually, thank you. Not too sure about the whole 'learn more playing against better players' thing. I've had loads of people tell me I should be playing against people at the same skill level as me. Thanks for the tips

Broodlord03

11-12-2012

As you play more you will notice small things that over time will add up to bigger plays. The misnomer about LoL is that it is easy. It's easy compared to say DOTA, sure. But Moba games in general are complicated games. There is a lot to learn, and getting better requires you to be able to take all of the little things you do and correct them.

Examples of mistakes I used to do:

I would trade poke in mid with just spells. Now I toss auto attacks in when I can as well.

Suicide for kills. It's better to let them live with that sliver of health, but you stay alive and get the gold and xp advantage that will pay off much larger in the long run.

Extend without vision. Don't do it. Wards are your friends. If you are in bot lane, and you see the jungler/mid/top in other lanes, feel free to get a bit froggy. If you don't: don't.

Learn that gold wins games, and aim for a minimum of 100 cs at 20 minutes.

Don't focus tanks in team fights. The carries are the dangerous ones. Kill them first.

Don't chase if you dont have vision of the other team. You might be getting baited.

It's all the little things that add up. Learn how to push your advantages. If you ace the other team, dont go buy. Push a tower, get dragon, do barron, steal buffs.

Lethadind

11-12-2012

Appreciate the fact that you are getting dominated and realize it for what it is: You making mistakes that you need to correct.

Once you understand this you begin to pay attention to how your opponent is laning, what they're doing that causes them to win trades, as well as how they are countering you. Once you realize a certain tactic isn't working against this player, you try new tactics. When those begin to work you fine-tune them, making them automatic. This is like "advanced improvement," because your mistakes look so glaring.

Here's what you do. Play a game with the intention of getting dominated. Do your best, but go into it knowing you probably won't do that well, which is the point. start paying attention to what happens and why you get dominated. Then come back here, and point out what happened in lane, and advanced players (ExecutionerKen for instance) can point out flaws in your gameplay and things you can improve.

An example from my own experience is me as Lee Sin laning against a very much better than me Nunu. He threw an iceball at me and a couple of auto-attacks at level 1 and had me zoned from the beginning. I asked him later how I could have prevented the zoning and he basically said "You can't. What you do is start with W (Lee's shield) and then harass back, instead of starting with Q and attempting to outburst me." So I needed to reduce his burst and then engage, instead I was engaging during his burst and not really reducing it.

It may not be as efficient as having someone play a few games with you but you'll get more responses that way. Good luck.

EDIT: People tend to rage pre-30 about normals because they haven't done ranked. If people at level 30 are still raging just pity them. Normals are so ridiculously relaxed. They're used to wind down after a couple of frustrating ranked games. Don't let it get to you, use normal games as your practice arena, your learning time, and don't be afraid to lose in order to learn. One thing I honestly suggest is taking a champion and going "all-in" against whoever your laning with to understand their burst and what they can handle. Sometimes it'll cause you to lose the entire match, but it's great experience for the future - you'll know not to all-in a Jax as Darius, for instance, because Jax actually beats him, or you'll discover that you can all-in a Karthus as Fizz, as he'll get melted at any point.

Insharai

11-12-2012

Watching pro players on youtube helped me out quite a bit.
Also having a group of people you can play with will help you from getting frustrated as easily XD.
Last hiting is probably one of the most important things in this entire game. I find making a custom game with no bots is a good way to practice.

AdunSaveMe

11-12-2012

You guys are awesome.

Rezo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdunSaveMe View Post
I'm almost level 30. I just hit 29 yesterday. The problem with this is that I have less than 60 wins, and more losses than wins. I'm getting matched with people that have upwards of 500 wins and we only seem to win the game out of pure luck or one or two decent players.
Well.. if you are queueing solo then those people with 500 wins arent much better than you. The system isnt going to match you with good players when you have more losses than wins.

Keep practicing, you have a long road ahead of you.

Hotdogs

11-13-2012

being matched against better players is the best way to learn
you just need to not worry about losing and learn from your losses

SweetTastOfBlood

11-13-2012

Your match ups will change the more losses you obtain. There is a normal elo Truthfully , being matched against better people isn't a bad thing at all. It can show you what your doing wrong whether it be mechanically , or just team fights , wards , etc. I would love to be put against higher elo normals than what i have now. (1500 wins to 1480 losses mostly from playing with Girlfriend or friends.) All in all , id say just watch what they do. It may suck seeing your wins/losses ratio decrease , but it will make you a better player.