Pre-Season PSA: Ranked Preparation and You.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemor View Post
Thank you for this insight. I was curious as to what the "basic requirements" for playing ranked were. For instance, I know that I can top, support, mid, and bot pretty well with a few champs, but I can't jungle worth a ****.

When it comes to the rune pages though, do you absolutely need -every necessary- rune for every role before trying? I'm not exactly coming into this with an ego that says "World Champ on First Attempt" but I also don't want to start getting hate because I'm missing a few runes or not a fantastic player in a role.
Honestly? If you can't jungle you're going to be okay for the most part. The jungle is unique in that it's sort of a niche role that people don't like to fill for a variety of reasons. There's pressure to keep objective secure and ganks to do properly which ties into keeping an eye on the lanes. Sadly at lower ELO the jungler is often the first person to be blamed if the lane does something dumb like push to the enemy tower, demand a gank, then rages when they themselves get punished for being pushed up so far.

The jungle is also going to be changing a lot here soon so only the dedicated junglers are going to get in there and figure out what's what. Newer junglers are likely to be a bit wary of jumping into a jungle that is now more dangerous. You can probably go for it, just make sure you can start jungling ASAP. I'd make some recommendations for you as I jungle myself but it's all kind of up in the air since my two main junglers are Nautilus and Skarner, and those two are going two mana hungry, shield-based, aoe based junglers that Riot is watching closely in case they need to adjust them when the new jungle hits.

Ryuuguu Komachi

11-12-2012

That's a relief. I'd take being a support over jungling any day of the week. lol

The Nidalee

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemor View Post
Thank you for this insight. I was curious as to what the "basic requirements" for playing ranked were. For instance, I know that I can top, support, mid, and bot pretty well with a few champs, but I can't jungle worth a ****.

When it comes to the rune pages though, do you absolutely need -every necessary- rune for every role before trying? I'm not exactly coming into this with an ego that says "World Champ on First Attempt" but I also don't want to start getting hate because I'm missing a few runes or not a fantastic player in a role.

TL;DR: I want to play ranked and see how I do, but not at the cost of getting ban time for making mistakes or not being 100% complete in a role.
4/5 roles and you should be fine, just don't be one of those "ALL BUT SUPPORT" type of 4/5s and it'll be no worries.

You should have a decent rune set, but I know plenty of people who play ranked quite effectively with only two or three rune pages. (AP, AD, Support). I recommend investing heavily in runes, but it's not mandatory.

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

And now that we're in peak hours let's give this thing a little kick in the ass, eh?