Pre-Season PSA: Ranked Preparation and You.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

The end of season patch is imminent. Finding yourself wanting to finally take the plunge into ranked? Good, great, all the more power to you. But before you do? I ask you consider something. You need to be ready to play every role. That means masteries, champions, runes, and the pages to support them. You're not going to get away with playing nothing but Akali top and mid or something. It just doesn't work. Some things to consider:

1.) Pick order takes priority over calls. Yes, it's dumb and people are often complete ***holes when they pull it out, but it's true. If you want a role and someone before you says they want it instead and pick it? That's just how it is. So it's either fill a different role or be stubborn and screw your team. Which leads into the second problem.

2.) This isn't about you and your ELO. This is about everyone's ELO. It's a "united we stand, together we fall" scenario. If you throw a tantrum about not being able to fill a role, pick it anyway, and try to go two mid, or three bot, or something else, you're likely to lose and that hurts everyone's ELO. People get pissed when you do stuff that screws them and their ELO over. I know it's kind of contradictory to say that it's not about your ELO and then say that teams get mad when you screw with their ELO, it's just...it just doesn't work. People get mad when they lose because you're being stubborn.

3.) Yes, the IP costs to get Champions, Runes, and Rune Pages is an absurdly steep hill. It sucks, we've all been there. There's no way to get around it though without RP and not everyone has easy access to it. You just gotta deal with it.

As much as it sucks, at the end of the day you don't just screw yourself by not being able to support all the roles, but you also screw over your team. People's tempers get hot when you're in ranked. Yeah you can report them but if they're trying to talk sense with you and you say something like "stfu you tard i don't ****ing care" they just received everything they needed to reasonably report you too and then the entire exercise becomes counter productive.

So if you're gonna take the plunge into ranked for Season 3? Ask yourself if you have the champions, runes, and pages to support every role. As you climb up team comps often decide the match before it even begins, regardless of if it fits the meta or no. If you can't support all the roles do everyone who can a favor and just play normal draft. Not trying to sound like a jerk here. I'm just trying to speak for the other people who can support the other roles and can play ranked properly as a result.

Thank you, and good day.

BLUE TEAM LEADER

11-12-2012

thread is about a month early

The Nidalee

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Remind View Post
thread is about a month early
You mean a day? As in Elo reset is tonight? Because that's when Elo resets.

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

*Shrug*

It's looking like reset is very likely to be tonight. If I have to make the topic again in a month or whatever so be it.

Gaymer

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grambles View Post
You mean a day? As in Elo reset is tonight? Because that's when Elo resets.
Oh... Sweetie you must be new here. At the end of the first season there was maybe a month before season 2 ranked started.

SculptorOvFlesh

11-12-2012

Gunna Spam AD Elise top until i hit the 1500's. MUAHAHAHA

Layla

11-12-2012

Ahri top, Ahri mid, AD Ahri, support Ahri, jungle - dodge. Come at me.

The Nidalee

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticPanda View Post
Oh... Sweetie you must be new here. At the end of the first season there was maybe a month before season 2 ranked started.
That's great, but they said quite clearly that Elo was being compressed towards 1200 and placement matches would begin again after this patch.

Also, I was here for the end of Season One.

FINÅNCE

11-12-2012

Good little guide for newcomers to ranked

Ryuuguu Komachi

11-12-2012

Thank you for this insight. I was curious as to what the "basic requirements" for playing ranked were. For instance, I know that I can top, support, mid, and bot pretty well with a few champs, but I can't jungle worth a ****.

When it comes to the rune pages though, do you absolutely need -every necessary- rune for every role before trying? I'm not exactly coming into this with an ego that says "World Champ on First Attempt" but I also don't want to start getting hate because I'm missing a few runes or not a fantastic player in a role.

TL;DR: I want to play ranked and see how I do, but not at the cost of getting ban time for making mistakes or not being 100% complete in a role.