Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oberron

11-16-2012

So, I've read that Heart of Gold is losing it's gp10 effect entirely in favor of more HP. How does it make any sense to still call it Heart of Gold when it doesn't give gold? It seems like all the other gp10 items are getting more recipe involvement, which i like, but philo stone is the only one retaining 5gp10. Are you trying to make supports be more aggressive for the money, or are we just expected to wait longer for the items? Guess what I want to know, is are you giving us alternative sources for income to replace our losses?

Scrulox

11-16-2012

I thought the new jungle would give more golds and experience. Unlike the experience part, the gold part is barely noticeable. And with the removal of heart of gold and inability to gank early, some junglers' income like Mundo and Shyvanna, is really hurt by these changes. Please add more golds to the jungler monsters or add a heart of gold replacement, otherwise people will just feel that they are being punished for jungling.

DL23

11-16-2012

Sounds Good

Juke For Jesus

11-16-2012

I really hate the idea of barrier being implimented into SR. Imagine you're Vlad, an already heavily nerfed champion, and you ult someone who has 50 hp.... Wait for it... Wait for it.......

Nothing.

Bad idea; nerfs bursty AP to the ground. The difference between a kill or not kill is huge in SR, not to mention the barrier baits that will happen causeing YOUR death and not theirs rather than the opposite effect.

Not digging the idea.

IonDragonX

11-16-2012

@FeralPony
You designed Hecarim for Season 2, I believe.
The upcoming changes to movement speed really hurt his passive.
I would appreciate it if you increased his passive by 5% at all levels OR add a passive speed buff to his ultimate.

Nadirisen

11-16-2012

Here's hoping to the next season. GL and HF for everyone! All these changes are gonna make a support so much more fun to play. We get our own awesome changes and you guys we support are gonna be having so much fun while I figure out how to support best with sooooo many new potential builds and priorities

Xoqoo

11-16-2012

New items, new masteries, new hud! a lot of stuff more than season 2

PoopSlapped

11-16-2012

I strongly dislike that surge is being removed.

PrinceGumby

11-16-2012

I'm liking the changes that I've seen in the PBE thus far. Keep up the good work.

Ryladine

11-16-2012

Quote:
Roku:
Hey summoners,

I’m Roku, Game QA Analyst at Riot Games, and I’m here today to fill you in on some of the upcoming summoner spell changes we have planned this preseason. Overall, we want to offer you more viable summoner spells, so that you have plenty of options to tailor your selections to suit your individual playstyle and strategic needs. We hope to accomplish this by equalizing power levels and solidifying unique roles for each spell choice.

For starters, we plan to make Barrier available across all maps rather than just the Proving Grounds. To ensure it’s balanced it we’ll be increasing its cooldown and reducing its duration. Barrier will require faster reaction time in its new form, but will remain the go-to defensive option against burst damage. To reinforce this change, we’re also reducing the overall effect of Heal, but modifying it to heal allies for the same amount as it heals the caster. This will solidify Heal into a support role, while making it less useful for baiting opponents.

Next, we’re making some subtle tweaks to many of the summoner spells. Flash and Ignite will each have their cooldowns increased slightly in order to bring them more in line with other spells. Clarity, Clairvoyance, and Exhaust are set for small changes that will make them more visible during gameplay and emphasize their specific roles.

Finally, we’ll be removing both Promote and Surge. We’re creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means we’ll be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isn’t always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche we’d like Ignite to fill.

In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. We’re confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.

Surge's use is actually fairly obvious if you choose a champion that can benefit from the combination of AP and Attack Speed boost. Kayle for instance, when played correctly, can use surge to push all the way through the enemy inhibitor before 20 minutes.

Its very useful while taking down champions who are running, as well as attacking turrets, ignite can aid with taking down champions however it is useless when it comes to turrets.

Teemo for instance is greatly benefited by the spell, it again boost's two of his primary stats in AP and attack speed.

While it is slightly limited in its scope of champions, even moderately tweaking it to change half the AP to AD would make it beneficial to a large scope of champions from anyone such as YII who can be played Attack Speed AD/AP hybrid, to again kayle who has to be played as a hybrid of that kind.

Tanks, Assassins, Damage oriented champions, all can benefit from this spell more than they can from ignite because its boosts more than just their raw damage output, its use late game is even more pronounced as the attack speed multiplies the total damage output the champion is capable of, allowing them to use passive effects of items more quickly and any abilities that utilize their auto attacks for a period of time.