FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demonrath302

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Change is good.

msgerbs

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChIcHiChImOn View Post
I don't get it. It's pretty clear how much damage ignite does at each level if you look it up, and at level one (which is normally the level of the person who draws first blood in most of my crazy, troll infested games) it only does 90 damage, so to slap on and kill they would need to have something like half a bar of health assuming they carry potions, or in mid with a dorans ring they would still need to have less than a bar. Just don't take the risk of still being in combat at less than 1-2 bars early game, that's all I'm saying. Close-call kills can't be relied on. Hope this logic helps you to stay informed and play better against ignite, if you were even having trouble in the first place, and note that I'm not nearly the best LoL player around so all I'm offering is a friendly tip and not some serious insult or whatever you might mistake this for.
Pretty much every game for the 2 weeks I played jungle olaf, I ganked at around 70% HP at level 3-4, and pretty much every game I got killed ridiculously easily by ignite + combo.

Lothloran

11-14-2012

I would just like to say one thing. Surge was useful on several different champions and I favored it over ignite on those toons, but favored ignite on the toons I thought benefited more from the spells.

Toons I used surge on: Yi, AD/AP Sion, AD Nasus if I was focusing on boosting life steal over attack speed, trynd in some situations. In normal Que I'd almost always set surge as my d and ghost as my f just for the quick first few kills.,

Toons I used ignite on: Any AD/AP who wouldn't benefit from surge lol.

I'm not happy about the removal of surge which does play a valid role in more than a "niche" capacity.

Lothloran

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DxPanxD View Post
^
It'd be neat to have preferred pages for champs you own. It's only happened a few times, but finding out mid-match I'm playing cass with AD pages or Riven with AP pages sucks. My own fault for not remembering to switch (definitely a noob mistake), but it's still an epic facepalm moment.

You know you can rename your rune / mastery pages so it'll glare you in the face when you're picking...

Nana Mizuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Will there be an inactive name purge like before?

TheGiantYordle

11-14-2012

Yeah, just what's needed, towers to do even less damage... oh wait they don't do any damage to mid/late game tanks anyway... Or those who can cast shields, or blink, or flash, or ... nm Let's just leave towers alone, you guys have proven that you can't do anything concerning them against players anyway, after repeated attempts, so let's just go with the 'tower dive' mastery. Back to level 2 diving Vlad it is!

TheGiantYordle

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Hey summoners,

I’m Roku, Game QA Analyst at Riot Games, and I’m here today to fill you in on some of the upcoming summoner spell changes we have planned this preseason. Overall, we want to offer you more viable summoner spells, so that you have plenty of options to tailor your selections to suit your individual playstyle and strategic needs. We hope to accomplish this by equalizing power levels and solidifying unique roles for each spell choice.

For starters, we plan to make Barrier available across all maps rather than just the Proving Grounds. To ensure it’s balanced it we’ll be increasing its cooldown and reducing its duration. Barrier will require faster reaction time in its new form, but will remain the go-to defensive option against burst damage. To reinforce this change, we’re also reducing the overall effect of Heal, but modifying it to heal allies for the same amount as it heals the caster. This will solidify Heal into a support role, while making it less useful for baiting opponents.

Next, we’re making some subtle tweaks to many of the summoner spells. Flash and Ignite will each have their cooldowns increased slightly in order to bring them more in line with other spells. Clarity, Clairvoyance, and Exhaust are set for small changes that will make them more visible during gameplay and emphasize their specific roles.

Finally, we’ll be removing both Promote and Surge. We’re creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means we’ll be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isn’t always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche we’d like Ignite to fill.

In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. We’re confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.
Vlad. Barrier, Ghost. Tower Diving at level 2 like a boss, yet again. See previous post.

(For those newer players who don't remember early Vlad, here is your set. Harass with level 1 Q, screw farming. This zones them, you hit 2 first... It actually -helps- if their jungler ganks you now. Auto-attack, Q, Auto-attack while running at their turret, pop ghost and pool... sit under them with the pool until they've almost nothing left, come out of the pool, hit them with a Q on the way out. The barrier now lets Post-Repeated-Nerf-Vlad now do this once again, as all they did really was lower his early game survivability for dives such as this, the barrier no matter how small makes up for this, being as he can already almost get away with it lacking about 50-70 hp to pull it off clean. Escape through their jungle. Fin. Repeat until they swap mid lanes, then do it to them.)

For Quality Assurance, you must not actually -play- very often. Me, and those like me, who've played since 2009, are going to capitalize on this summoner spell, and the 'Tower Dive' Mastery, until you either remove it and stick it back where it belongs (proving grounds), or ensure that the only games played are ranked, being as we got bored of ranked about a week after you came out with it.

So far the only intelligent changes I've seen are those to the jungle. Step it back up, RIOT, or have you forgotten your original creed of 'This game will never merely be about making money..." as stated by Udyr some two and a half years ago.

Glaedien

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothloran View Post
You know you can rename your rune / mastery pages so it'll glare you in the face when you're picking...
Oh yeah, I've named my pages, but it still doesn't stop me from derping occasionally and forgetting to switch. My own fault, just mentioning a mistake most of us have probably made at one point or another. It's really nothing Riot needs to concern itself with. Even when I forgot to switch, I didn't really find myself at an overwhelming disadvantage, and even if I had, it'd just serve as a lesson to pay more attention during champion select.

Häßlich

11-14-2012

Removing Surge? Badbadbadbadbadbadbad!!!

-1, Riot.

Matuk

11-14-2012

You have mentioned that you have decided to remove Surge because Surge and Ignite provide too similar of an effect, and often Ignite is just the better choice. And since you want ALL summoner spells to be worth using, you don't want to leave Surge in, because it's often viewed as simply inferior to Ignite (obviously not everybody agrees, but you guys have access to the stats of how often it's used).

Now that you're making Barrier available in ALL games, aren't you worried that Barrier and Heal will provide too similar of an effect? Both can be used to "bait" people in for a quick turn-around kill. The distinction here, though, is that Heal affects all nearby allies, even minions, while Barrier will only shield you - and from what we've been told, only for two seconds.

Except in situations where the enemy team has plenty of healing debuffs - why would I ever choose Barrier over Heal? Hell, right now, not counting Masteries, if Barrier were made available as-is, Barrier would definitely never be chosen. Specifically because Heal and Barrier have the same numerical strength, but you can never "waste" Heal by mis-timing it, the way you can with Barrier, unless you happen to be at full HP, or simply don't need either one anyways.

The only advantage that Barrier has is that it will still work 100% when you're Ignited - but since you are going out of your way to make sure Ignite lasts longer than Barrier, and thus Ignite isn't fully wasted against it, what's the point?

I'd rather have a spell shield summoner spell, sort of like a really-long CD Banshee's Veil, instead of Barrier.