FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
The one mastery we are adding specifically gold related in Utility is a mastery called "Pickpocket" that grants gold upon attacking an enemy champion. This will allow active supports a bit more gold while harassing their opponents, while also being useful for other character types that spec into deep into Utility.
wait wHaT o_O

This makes no sense... "harass = gold"

I think I'd rather you guys left it as it is until you found a GOOD idea to work with...

King of Squid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Did you guys consider moving the summoner spell mastery point deeper into the tree and making it buff each summoner spell differently?
ie clarity: offense steals mana away from nearby enemies, defense passively retores mana, utility reduces all your cooldowns by 1 second.

shadekeller

11-14-2012

Gah no surge on my teemo X_X what shall I do... King of Squid I like where you are going with your ideas but no SURGE X_X

Frosted Badgers

11-14-2012

Yay, now throwing bananas at people will be even more fun.

72 Cats

Recruiter

11-14-2012

I'm so looking forward to this mastery!

CKRsupreme

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
As for Surge - we definitely missed the mark. Originally Surge was envisioned as a team oriented spell, something similar to old Rally. After a few iterations it had to be toned down, but we didn't want to make the user feel worse for taking it. As it stands now, it does come down to which spell is going to give you more damage - Ignite or Surge. In an overwhelming majority of cases, Ignite will actually give you more mileage even if Surge sounds better. This becomes especially true later in the game as Ignite ignores armor / magic resist. Surge was fun to cast, and had good synergy with a particular couple champions - but a majority of the time it was actually a trap. There were some fun aspects of it - turret pushing, clever edge case uses, and getting bigger, but it overall was a false choice.
So the problem comes down to which summoner spell is used more, Ignite or Surge, and how they scale? Oh and the false choice you mentioned. I believe it is because surge failed mechanically. Why not make it a true choice by specializing ignite for close range damage dealers like assassins and bruisers and make Surge reliable for long range damage dealers like AD carries and AP carries. Surge as it is has the right idea in that regard in that it will buff both carry styles. However it falls short because of the the synergy between the two stats. Attack speed for the AD and AP for, well you know.
Instead remove both of these stats and add in something both carry classes can use, An increase in either % damage or flat damage like ignite for the duration. this can be done in two different ways.

A. It can add a Flat damage amount for each damage source(abilities and auto attacks) so it can rival ignite all game

B. A percentage of all damage dealt. for example a champion with physical, magical and true damage deals 100 damage in each category for a total of 300 damage before mitigation. in my scenario the character could deal instead 110 damage in each category instead.

Ignite should favor close range damage dealers by dealing more damage than surge along with the utility debuff but long range champions should have a viable offensive summoner spell. as it is, the range of ignite makes it difficult for long range carries to use ignite safely, often risking their positioning in a team fight.

Nation Fallou

11-14-2012

It sounds like a lot of good and needed changes.
Maybe also put in a system to have masteries/runes/spells automatically picked based on the champion and not the last ones used in your previous game? Just a thought.

Glaedien

11-14-2012

^
It'd be neat to have preferred pages for champs you own. It's only happened a few times, but finding out mid-match I'm playing cass with AD pages or Riven with AP pages sucks. My own fault for not remembering to switch (definitely a noob mistake), but it's still an epic facepalm moment.

Doomhaus

11-14-2012

Thats nice and all Riot but can you f**king nerf darius yet??

Matuk

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schplat View Post
Does this mean that I will have to redo all of my mastery pages? This is the first big change to the mastery tree since I started playing, so I'm asking in all seriousness.
You haven't been playing for very long then, there was a big change a while back that forced lotsa people to switch to what we have now.