FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kevbot034

11-12-2012

An item to do the same thing as Promote? That's interesting. I love to take Promote when I'm mid or solo top; early game it gives you the chance to recall without being forced to make your jungler gank. I'll miss the spell, but it will let me use a more useful one in teamfights now. Exciting!

But what really needs to happen is to make Revive viable in some way shape or form, lol

EndlessHelix

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
Indeed!
Will you tell us any of them?

Please, eludicate us in the undereducated and questionably washed masses.

Aakesh

11-12-2012

if the free tenacity isn't in the first few levels of Defense tree, then no AD carry is going to get it.

Magy

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayleas View Post
Promote and Surge removed?!?!?! But how will I ever troll someone else into dodging? /sarcasm
Smite and revive.

Darkearth10

11-12-2012

No!!! Please keep Surge, it works great on Karthus!

Chessiere

11-12-2012

It's true that spellvamp acts differently but then again, you can enjoy spellvamp due to your spells, which depending on the champ you play (AP) has a smaller effect compared to an AD champion.
AD carries get to replenish their HP with each autoattack whereas AP carries have a select burst with a determined Cooldown on the spells. In fact spellvamp is optimal only with a certain group of champions such as Ryze, Rumble and Swain. Whereas Lifesteal is useful and is a MUST on ALL the AD carries extending its usefulness to Bruisers as well.

Xyltin

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Hey summoners,

Im Roku, Game QA Analyst at Riot Games, and Im here today to fill you in on some of the upcoming summoner spell changes we have planned this preseason. Overall, we want to offer you more viable summoner spells, so that you have plenty of options to tailor your selections to suit your individual playstyle and strategic needs. We hope to accomplish this by equalizing power levels and solidifying unique roles for each spell choice.

For starters, we plan to make Barrier available across all maps rather than just the Proving Grounds. To ensure its balanced it well be increasing its cooldown and reducing its duration. Barrier will require faster reaction time in its new form, but will remain the go-to defensive option against burst damage. To reinforce this change, were also reducing the overall effect of Heal, but modifying it to heal allies for the same amount as it heals the caster. This will solidify Heal into a support role, while making it less useful for baiting opponents.

Next, were making some subtle tweaks to many of the summoner spells. Flash and Ignite will each have their cooldowns increased slightly in order to bring them more in line with other spells. Clarity, Clairvoyance, and Exhaust are set for small changes that will make them more visible during gameplay and emphasize their specific roles.

Finally, well be removing both Promote and Surge. Were creating an item with an effect like Promote since it makes sense as a strategic option, and having it as a buy-in strategy means well be able to better balance the effect in relation to its gold cost. Surge is being removed because it isnt always clear when to use it or which champions benefit from it. In the end, Surge is a competing spell in a niche wed like Ignite to fill.

In the preseason we want summoner spells to be another way to customize your champion to suit your playstyle instead of being dominated by a few, extremely strong choices. Were confident that these modifications will free you up to experiment with different combinations and tailored to your favorite champions.
So 2 removed SS and a new one.
But what about the old one like Clarity and Revive. You mentioned changes to all the other ones, but what happens with these 2? (i actually think that revive could be pretty good with the new item that reduces the CD by 20%).
Will Clarity ever be more than a skill that is used when you start playing lol to be able to ignore your mana management?

Krìn

11-12-2012

The one thing that works well on Kayle is being removed.
Alternatively you are buffing ignite with the same effects? If so, that will be incredibly OP.
I am disappointed.

You know for one thing, you should add videos to summoner spells, like you do to summoner abilities. Then you could elaborate when to use spells, what situations, good uses, etc.
I don't think it's justified to outright remove spells just because they're unpopular. Focus more on why they are unpopular and how to fix that.

UNPGriff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Stop beating around the bush is give some actual details here.

Tremor

Recruiter

11-12-2012

Are there any tweaks on Executioner?

Executioner- Increase damage dealt by 6% to targets below 40% health.

This is the 21st point in Offense, and it is kind of..eh. Sometimes I find myself trying to look for less wasteful things, it kind of helps with last hitting and such, but doesn't give you the sense of "Oh, I am so glad I specced 21 points into Offense."

It doesn't feel meaty enough for how many points you invest into it.