Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Math Question?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fujiou

11-12-2012

We have ten digits because there are five of them on each hand.

Dobagoh

11-12-2012

Quote:
Fujiou:
We have ten digits because there are five of them on each hand.

Incredibly wrong, and incredibly ignorant.

Fujiou

11-12-2012

Dobs, stop being stupid.

Dobagoh

11-12-2012

Quote:
Fujiou:
Dobs, stop being stupid.

Except you're wrong about that, you fucking idiot.

Linden Ryuujin

11-12-2012

Quote:
Dobagoh:
Because of the muslims.

The Chinese, Mayans, and Mesopotamians used counting systems of 12 and 60. Base 10 was a relatively new invention by towelheads.

Although the Arabs picked it up from India of course.

I think that the fact it matches our number of fingers makes too much sense for fluke, but I'm not sure there's evidence. Other culutures have used various other bases: 5, 8 and 60 (and its related 12 - this is where time with 60 seconds/mins and 12 hours comes) have been popular choices, all could be said to be finger related too.
5 fingers + thumb on one hand
60 based on the number of "segments" on the fingers of one hand, 12 segements on a hand repeated fives times - one for each digit on the other hand (ie. you point to a segment and the segment and finger used combine to give a number).

As with language I'm not sure how you'd prove the origins, but the fact we have 10 fingers and it's natural to count on your fingers a good fit in my opinion.