@WhattayaBrian What is your job?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Method512

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
For the most part, I work on the codebase for the game client and server (what happens when the game actually begins--not the air client or the platform). These are coded in C++.

Right now specifically...doing a whole bunch of Python.
Python is actually used? I had a friend that learned that language but I never bothered thinking it wasn't used...

AA247

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method512 View Post
Python is actually used? I had a friend that learned that language but I never bothered thinking it wasn't used...
python is great for things like pasers. You can use it to do alot of things. The only con is that is kinda slow compared to compiled languages like c/c++

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

11-12-2012
4 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA247 View Post
its 2.7 because having extra () for print statements is too much work rite?jk I am junior comsci major and was wondering if you did interships for the summer
You know, I'm all for cleaning up your codebase (especially for major revisions), but they could've at least had a decent error message that detected old-style prints.

This has wasted my time. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ER View Post
Hey Brian, how much knowledge of coding and programming is required for a production level job in Riot? I'm finishing up my BSc in Aerospace Engineering, I know the basics to JAVA, C++ and MATLAB and I have a decent amount of gaming experience.
We have a fairly high bar, even for associate-level game engineers. The best thing you can do is take your basics and evolve them into fluency. It's hard to quantify knowledge into a "how much" question, but as far as the core language of C++ goes, you should understand its features extremely well.

Language features, naturally, are just the tip of the iceberg. You also need good architectural skills, and algorithms and data structures are a major part of that. You should understand all the major STL containers: vector, list, map, deque, string, etc, and you absolutely must have a solid grasp of algorithmic complexity (big-oh notation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method512 View Post
Well, you won't find any commercial games made it in, but that's not its purpose. You use it to write scripts to automate mundane tasks.

vileelf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Well, you won't find any commercial games made it in, but that's not its purpose. You use it to write scripts to automate mundane tasks.
for example you could iterate over all summoners, check their elos, and change their data accordingly.

unsanctifier

11-12-2012

WhattyaBrian

I play fizz a lot, would you like to play a game with me :3

You're one of the top reds IMO in terms of forum personalities!

Larrik Jaerico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Actually, (supposedly) large parts of EVEOnline are written in python. A LOT of other games use it to some degree, too.

AA247

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrik Jaerico View Post
Actually, (supposedly) large parts of EVEOnline are written in python. A LOT of other games use it to some degree, too.
you would never make the core game in python because it slow. You could make other features in python were speed isnt' that important

Tekkzy

11-12-2012

Quote:
You know, I'm all for cleaning up your codebase (especially for major revisions), but they could've at least had a decent error message that detected old-style prints.

We have a fairly high bar, even for associate-level game engineers. The best thing you can do is take your basics and evolve them into fluency. It's hard to quantify knowledge into a "how much" question, but as far as the core language of C++ goes, you should understand its features extremely well.

Language features, naturally, are just the tip of the iceberg. You also need good architectural skills, and algorithms and data structures are a major part of that. You should understand all the major STL containers: vector, list, map, deque, string, etc, and you absolutely must have a solid grasp of algorithmic complexity (big-oh notation).

I'm considering going to Digipen. Either for Real Time Interactive Simulation or Game Design. I was just hired by Microsoft, which is conveniently located in Redmond as well. I've already had a tour of the place and it looks amazing. Which field would you recommend?

Also I'm not sure if we met, but I worked for Riot for about a month. Haha.

B3ER

11-12-2012

Quote:

Great.... Time to practice, I guess. I should be able to educate myself in these areas. Long live the internet. Thanks, Brian.

Super Explosion

11-12-2012

Quote:
Lies! It's reasonably popular for visual novel games.

Even commercial ones covered by gaming press (IGN, other).