Is it wrong to change someone else's religious beliefs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

See above.

the flail

11-16-2012

I think that depends on the beliefs in question. I would say that generally, yes it is wrong. However, there's always extraordinary cases. For instance, while I may be an atheist, I would not stop a group of Christians trying to convert say, a cult that practices human sacrifice.

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

I suppose that would certainly be a good instance of it.

What about turning a Christian into an atheist? It's something I've never actively sought to do, but I kind of end up taking the godliness out of anyone who spends enough time around me.

Mere Intricacy

11-16-2012

Forcibly, yes.
Through discussion and knowledge, no.

the flail

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere Intricacy View Post
Forcibly, yes.
Through discussion and knowledge, no.
this.

gankas kon

11-16-2012

If you present information and they make their own decision, no

If you inject your influence, yes

Fujiou

11-16-2012

I still think it's kind of wrong to do to someone. It's always just happened through casual conversation. I obviously don't believe in a god, but I think ignorance is pretty blissful.

I taught a buddy of mine to question his faith, and now he's constantly being harassed about it by his overtly religious parents and relatives.

Lance Eliot

11-16-2012

If you SUCCESSFULLY change another person's religious beliefs, then they were never truly committed to those beliefs in the first place.

Regardless, it is wrong to shove your beliefs (or lack thereof) down another's throat. I like to think of religious sharing in terms of "teach, don't preach."

Fujiou

11-16-2012

Teaching is preaching when it comes to religion.

Nobody should ever be so committed to any belief that they value their "commitment" over reason. To say "I need to believe x because I believed x in the past" is just dumb.

Zerocaliber

11-17-2012

It all comes down to respect honestly. If they aren't ok with sitting down and having a conversation with you about it, then don't try to force it onto them. You should be able to respect their right to believe whatever they want to.

There is nothing wrong though with having discussions with willing people on the topic but you should never force the individual in question. If they take your reasoning to heart and follow whatever you have convinced them of, then so be it. But it has to be their choice without you pressuring them.