Dear everybody at Riot:

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TalLavi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Lyte, if you are seeing this can you do me a favor.

My last game as Leona did not go so well and while I tried to keep my cool my team kept raging and blaming me, is there a way you can pull the game out and the chat logs of the pre/post game and all the items bought, post it on GD and say your verdict on who you think was the most toxic player in that game?

LittleDi

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalLavi View Post
Lyte, if you are seeing this can you do me a favor.

My last game as Leona did not go so well and while I tried to keep my cool my team kept raging and blaming me, is there a way you can pull the game out and the chat logs of the pre/post game and all the items bought, post it on GD and say your verdict on who you think was the most toxic player in that game?
How would that help the study for how often false punishes actually happen?

Please don't derail the thread if you're not looking for the same answers.

Tarrent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
This one: http://www.riotgames.com/careers/ass...ser-researcher

We'd love to have another qualified, passionate researcher join us here
Thanks for the info I'll forward it to her. It'll probably make her day.

Fomorian27

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
For example, if a company posted exactly how many players are banned every month I could easily reverse engineer their numbers to figure out a lot more than they want to reveal. It's surprising how much you can predict/project off seemingly independent and trivial factoids
That sounds like magic to me. I have to ask... are you a wizard?

gnfnrf

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
That sounds like magic to me. I have to ask... are you a wizard?
You'd be surprised about what you can do with a few numbers and a lot of work.

I managed to use the number of Teemo deaths in that infographic from a few months ago (plus a few other numbers) to calculate how many games an average player plays in a day.

Of course, I could be wrong about it, but still, a lot more is possible than you might think.

LittleDi

11-13-2012

care to give a second view of my theory on the previous page please gnfnrf?

tribunalconsp

11-13-2012

...and the shills provide the optimal diversionary tactics for another cop-out from Lyte to post any concrete data.

I guess you're right: it's easier to convince people that there is no problem, than actually solving it yourself. That's what psychology is all about at the end of the day.

AlwaysUsesAnivia

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There's a difference between inability to understand data and releasing misleading data. For example, everyone who understands data knows that the in-game tips are correlations and not a causal inference. No one implies a causal relationship anywhere and numerous psychologists reviewed the language to double check the nuances of the tips.

If you want to discuss specific examples, let's do that. Otherwise, you aren't adding anything to these boards.
It's so cute when knowledgeable people feign ignorance. Note that I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you're merely being disingenuous rather than incompetent.

Example (paraphrased):
"Players who don't curse win 31% more games"

You're honestly pretending that you presented this correlation WITHOUT the express purpose of leading people to infer causation between refraining from cursing and winning? Really? Are we going to pretend that selectively presenting non-contextual data isn't a favorite trick of the advertising industry (and everyone else an agenda)?

Don't play dumb. As a psychologist, you're well aware that the same data can be presented in any number of ways, and that the presentation of data, particularly data taken completely out of methodological context (as in the above example), affects its interpretation. This goes doubly for laymen who aren't primed to be critical of data. The way in which you present this data demonstrates precisely that you are not only aware of this lack of critical thinking, but that you intend to exploit it. The natural tendency of people to conflate perceived patterns with causal forces is well-studied.

Of course, you're exploiting this tendency for a noble purpose. However, that doesn't change the fact that you're going about it by dishonest means. It reminds me of the misleading ads that TheTruth.com used to generate in its anti-smoking campaigns--their entire strategy was to combat misinformation from the tobacco industry by misinforming people themselves, albeit in the opposite direction. Similarly, in order to curb negative behavior (foul language) you're engaging in negative behavior yourself (misleading players).

LittleDi

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribunalconsp View Post
...and the shills provide the optimal diversionary tactics for another cop-out from Lyte to post any concrete data.

I guess you're right: it's easier to convince people that there is no problem, than actually solving it yourself. That's what psychology is all about at the end of the day.
... You really don't know what Psychology is do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

Educate yourself please.

tribunalconsp

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDi View Post
... You really don't know what Psychology is do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology

Educate yourself please.

Yes, the art of psychology.