Summoner's Code, Section Six. Seriously.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KTM90

11-11-2012

"Having a great game is one of the biggest joys that League of Legends can bring you. But always bear in mind that when you’re relishing that landslide victory there is someone on the receiving end that is probably ripping their hair out. While it’s alright to celebrate, make sure that you keep any gloating (or any other mode of self-indulgence) out of all chat. Instead, thank your opponents for the game. After all, despite their best efforts, they just made you a very happy person.

Moreover, if you’ve just lost, avoid pointing any fingers or deploying excuses. Even if you had a great game, it’s not alright to blame your team. You had five opponents in that game, and - seeing as you just lost - chances are that they had something to do with it. We all know that losing can be frustrating, particularly if it’s a close game or one that’s completely one sided, but nobody likes a sore loser. Instead, thank your opponents for the game, and take a moment at the end of game screen to ask what you could have done better. If you’re polite, you might pick up a few pointers that can help you counter your opponent’s strategy in the future."

You make it very unpleasant for other players when you do not follow this section of the Summoner's Code. This is especially true for players that are very new and are getting their first impressions of League of Legends. It's not always a single person's fault or the entire team's fault that the game ended in a loss for you. There are exceptions but most of the time the players on your team are trying and/or learning. Demoralizing your teammates will affect their performance negatively and make them report you, and demoralizing your enemies will just make them report you. I am not saying that you have to be a cheerleader for the losing team, but you can keep all of your snide comments to yourself.

KTM90

11-12-2012

I am thinking about bumping this post with additional sections and emphasis on why one should follow them. There's almost always someone who violates the code in every game I play and considering that the Summoner's Code is a lot like the End User License Agreement you should follow it.

zraven7

11-12-2012

Honestly, I'm starting to think everyone should be rationed about 3 uses of the phrase "was feeding" a week, and be docked IP for every use afterwards.

KTM90

11-13-2012

Tired of hearing that phrase whilst they are pointing the finger? I actually don't hear it that often, but it's also never directed at me. =P Often times the number of times I died in total is low, but when it comes to the last stand in defending your base from enemies I often get a couple more from last resorts.

Ecclesian

11-13-2012

The lack of this being followed is the perpetuation of elo hell...

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM90 View Post
"Having a great game is one of the biggest joys that League of Legends can bring you. But always bear in mind that when you’re relishing that landslide victory there is someone on the receiving end that is probably ripping their hair out. While it’s alright to celebrate, make sure that you keep any gloating (or any other mode of self-indulgence) out of all chat. Instead, thank your opponents for the game. After all, despite their best efforts, they just made you a very happy person.

Moreover, if you’ve just lost, avoid pointing any fingers or deploying excuses. Even if you had a great game, it’s not alright to blame your team. You had five opponents in that game, and - seeing as you just lost - chances are that they had something to do with it. We all know that losing can be frustrating, particularly if it’s a close game or one that’s completely one sided, but nobody likes a sore loser. Instead, thank your opponents for the game, and take a moment at the end of game screen to ask what you could have done better. If you’re polite, you might pick up a few pointers that can help you counter your opponent’s strategy in the future."

You make it very unpleasant for other players when you do not follow this section of the Summoner's Code. This is especially true for players that are very new and are getting their first impressions of League of Legends. It's not always a single person's fault or the entire team's fault that the game ended in a loss for you. There are exceptions but most of the time the players on your team are trying and/or learning. Demoralizing your teammates will affect their performance negatively and make them report you, and demoralizing your enemies will just make them report you. I am not saying that you have to be a cheerleader for the losing team, but you can keep all of your snide comments to yourself.
any time someone makes one bad play the pre-made teams will just sit there calling someone a noob or bad, and so on. very frequently this happens even if you try to explain to them what they are doing is wrong, they will just argue and try to get under your skin even more. wish more people would follow this section of the code, and atleast understand it when you tell em it in game when they are sitting their wording thier accusations as verbal attacks personally. "you're bad" is a verbal personal attack, saying "you made a bad play" is not so much a personal attack, but still is accusing and blaming. Both still wrong.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclesian View Post
The lack of this being followed is the perpetuation of elo hell...
I think it more perpetuates the "perception" of there being an elo hell.

Taking responsibility for a loss, or at least the actions that led to the loss go a long way. Instead of pointing fingers, I think acceptance is first needed.

I accept that my elo is below 900.
I accept that, while not entirely the cause, my skill is a factor.
I accept that I need to improve my play style.
I accept that some games will have people far below my skill level.
I accept that it is a team game, and those less skilled then me, need to be motivated.
I accept that I need the ability to carry some of the teams.
I accept that without teamwork and leadership this team will lose.

KTM90

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilas View Post
I think it more perpetuates the "perception" of there being an elo hell.

Taking responsibility for a loss, or at least the actions that led to the loss go a long way. Instead of pointing fingers, I think acceptance is first needed.

I accept that my elo is below 900.
I accept that, while not entirely the cause, my skill is a factor.
I accept that I need to improve my play style.
I accept that some games will have people far below my skill level.
I accept that it is a team game, and those less skilled then me, need to be motivated.
I accept that I need the ability to carry some of the teams.
I accept that without teamwork and leadership this team will lose.
This is indeed part of accepting defeat with dignity. Not every performance is flawless and there is always something that can be improved upon (well, at least I hope so).

KTM90

11-13-2012

THE EULA AND YOU
See bottom for summary.
V. CODE OF CONDUCT

While using the Software and playing the Game, you agree to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. You also agree to comply with certain additional rules that govern your use of the Game (the “Code of Conduct”). The Code of Conduct is not meant to be exhaustive, and Riot Games reserves the right to modify this Code of Conduct at any time, as well as take any appropriate disciplinary measures including Account termination and deletion to protect the integrity and spirit of the Game, regardless of whether a specific behavior is listed here as prohibited. In addition to this Code of Conduct, please see the Summoner’s Code for additional guidance on exemplary game-play behavior. The following are examples of behavior that warrant disciplinary measures:

A. Impersonating any person, business, or entity, including an employee of Riot Games, or communicating in any way that makes it appear that the communication originates from Riot Games;

B. Posting identifying information about yourself, or any other user, in the Game;

C. Harassing, stalking, or threatening any other users in the Game;

D. Removing, altering or concealing any copyright, trademark, patent or other proprietary rights notices of Riot Games contained in the Game and/or the Software. You also may not transmit content that violates or infringes the rights of others, including without limitation, patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, publicity, personal rights or other proprietary or non-proprietary rights;

E. Transmitting or communicating any content which, in the sole and exclusive discretion of Riot Games, is deemed offensive, including, but not limited to, language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;

F. Transmitting or facilitating the transmission of any content that contains a virus, corrupted data, trojan horse, bot keystroke logger, worm, time bomb, cancelbot or other computer programming routines that are intended to and/or actually damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or mine, scrape or expropriate any system, data or personal information;

G. Spamming chat, whether for personal or commercial purposes, by disrupting the flow of conversation with repeated postings of a similar nature;

H. Participating in any action which, in the sole and exclusive judgment of Riot Games, “exploits” an undocumented aspect of the Game in order to secure an unfair advantage over other users;

I. Participating in any action which, in the sole and exclusive judgment of Riot Games, defrauds any other user of the Game, including, but not limited to, by “scamming” or “social engineering;”

J. Accessing or attempting to access areas of the Game or Game servers that have not been made available to the public;

K. Logging out, disconnecting or exiting the Game during live game-play. Riot Games’ automated Leaverbuster® system tracks this data and may issue temporary bans to users who frequently leave during live game-play. The length of the temporary ban will increase over time if a particular Account continues to leave during live game-play; or

L. Selecting a Summoner name that is falsely indicative of an association with Riot Games, contains personally identifying information, infringes on the proprietary or non-proprietary rights of third parties, or that is offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable. You may not use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent this restriction on Summoner name choices. Riot Games may modify any name which, in the sole and exclusive judgment of Riot Games, violates this provision without further notification to you, and may take further disciplinary measures, including Account termination, for repeated violations.

Section Five Explained:
This section basically lines up with the Summoner's Code (though the code has some finer points), but it also mentions some things that the Summoner's Code does not.
Here are the key points:
-Violating these rules will warrant disciplinary action.
-You will not impersonate another person, that is a form of fraud.
-You will not post any identifying information (names, numbers, addresses).
-Harassing other players is unacceptable.
-Infringing on Copyright laws is bad everywhere else, so it's also bad here.
-Transmitting any content that Riot deems offensive is against their rules.
-Transmitting or assisting in transmitting any form of malware is against the law (in many cases).
-Spamming chat for any purpose is annoying and not permitted.
-Exploiting the game is not okay.
-Scamming and/or hacking is definitely not okay since it is also illegal (or in violation of something somewhere).
-Trying to access parts of their server that are not marked for the public is not okay.
-Logging out or Disconnecting from a game is part of the code of conduct and it ruins the game for the rest of us.
-Selecting a name that falsely indicates you are associated with Riot or is offensive is obviously not good.
-In addition to this Code of Conduct, please see the Summoner’s Code for additional guidance on exemplary game-play behavior.

Remember that the End User License Agreement is the list of terms you agree to in order to use a limited license to play the game. Almost nobody reads them because it's a giant wall of text, but every time you click "I accept" you are agreeing to these rules. This also includes section nine, which states:
The Game is an “on-line” game that must be played over the internet through a service provided by or on behalf of Riot Games. You acknowledge and agree that Riot Games, in its sole and absolute discretion, may stop providing support for or access to the Game at any time, for any reason or no reason. You also agree that Riot Games may change, modify, suspend, “nerf,” discontinue, or restrict your access to any features or parts of the Game at any time without notice or liability to you. You acknowledge that you have no interest, monetary or otherwise, in any feature of or content in the Software or the Game.

-In other words Riot can terminate your account for no reason if they feel like it. All the more reason for you to be educated about the terms you agreed to.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-13-2012

^ lest you become part of the human Cent-iPad because you didn't read the terms and conditions