Comprehensive Akali Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RadicalGaming

11-11-2012

Hi, my name is Lntuitive, a 1500~ elo player. Im no professional, but I believe that I have a somewhat dense enough knowledge of the game that I am able to write this guide. I'm here to present this simple and easy to follow guide to shed some light on how to play my favourite champion, Akali, to the zenith of her potential.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/2...5#ranked-stats

Akali is a hybrid assassin which has HUGE burst potential at post level 6. She is generally regarded as a pubstomp / solo queue champion as she can snowball the hell out of the enemy team. She has a very weak lane phase and can be easily abused by a decent opponent. Her strength lies in being able to proc her Mark of the Assassin on squishy targets for huge amounts of burst damage.

Story/Lore/Background

There exists an ancient order originating in the Ionian Isles dedicated to the preservation of balance. Order, chaos, light, darkness - all things must exist in perfect harmony for such is the way of the universe. This order is known as the Kinkou and it employs a triumvirate of shadow warriors to uphold its causes in the world. Akali is one of these shadow warriors, entrusted with the sacred duty of Pruning the Tree - eliminating those who threaten the equilibrium of Valoran.
A prodigious martial artist, Akali began training with her mother as soon as she could make a fist. Her mother's discipline was relentless and unforgiving, but predicated on the fundamental principle: "We do that which must be done." When the Kinkou inducted her into the order at the age of fourteen, she could slice a dangling chain with a chop of her hand. There was no question – she would succeed her mother as the Fist of Shadow. She has had to do much in this role which others might find morally questionable, but to her it is in service of her mother's inviolable doctrine. She now works with her fellows Shen and Kennen to enforce the balance of Valoran. This hallowed pursuit has unsurprisingly led the triumvirate to the Fields of Justice.

"The Fist of Shadow strikes from the cover of death itself. Do not impede the balance."

Pros
- Huge burst damage
- Very High mobility
- Great at snowballing
- Very effective solo queue champion
- Great sustain
- Energy Champion
- Easy to learn
- Nurse Skin meng

Cons
- Very weak laning phase
- Q does no damage in your early levels unless you proc it (difficult without ultimate)
- Hard to master
- Expensive Runes
- Somewhat weak mid-late game
- More difficult to play at higher elos
- Can be countered by true sight such as Oracle's Elixir and Lee Sin's Tempest/Cripple

Runes

This, i believe, is the best rune set possible to have on akali. It provides the Stats needed (in conjuction with your masteries) to proc your passives at level one, as well as inching out every little stat possible.

Marks - 7 Flat AD, 2 Magicpen
Seals - Health per level seals, or armor seals ( depending on lane matchup)
Glyphs - 7 Flat AP, 2 Flat MR or 7 Flat AP and 2 scaling AP (^^^)
Quints - 2 Flat AP, 1 Mspeed, or 2 Flat AP, 1 Flat Health (your choice)

Masteries

This is the strongest akali mastery page possible. You forgo 2 points in blast and 3 points in the useless havoc mastery which provides only 15 bonus damage for every 1000 damage, in exchange for 4 points in alacrity (also useless), but lets you have weapon expertise for stronger crescent slashes and late game lich procs.

1 Summoners Wrath
3 Brute Force
4 Alacrity
4 Sorcery
1 Weapon Expertise + 1 Arcane Knowledge
2 Blast
4 Archmage
1 Executioner

3 Resistance / Hardiness (depends on lane matchup)
1 Tough Skin
4 Durability
1 Veterans Scars

Item Build

The most effective and balanced akali build out there, used by professionals and amateurs alike.

Boots of Speed + 3 Health Potions
Hextech Revolver
Mercury Treads / Boots of Mobility / Ninja Tabi ( depends on game)
Hextech Gunblade
(Sheen - build if the gold you have when you are forced to base is 1260-1570)
Rabadons Deathcap
Guardians Angel
Lich Bane or Void Staff
Lich Bane or Void Staff (whichever u didnt get)

Core: [/B]Mercury's Treads / Gunblade / Rabadons Deathcap / Guardian's Angel
Post-core musthaves: Lich Bane / Void Staff
Optional items : Deathfire's Grasp, Trinity Force (must change mastery page and build completely), Sorcerer's Shoes, Mejai's Soulstealer (ONLY, and i mean ONLY if youre stomping extremely hard) Rylai's Crystal Scepter (build for tankiness, personally i dislike this item)

I dont build rylai's because it gimps your damage and how early u get gunblade, as well as taking up a valuable item spot. You NEED every other item on this list.

Ability level up order

Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,

Then max out q -> e -> w
r whenever possible

Ability Explanation

Passive - Twin Disciplines - DISCIPLINE OF FORCE: Upon obtaining 19.5 ability power, Akali's auto attacks deal 7.916% bonus magic damage, increasing by 1% for every 6 ability power gained thereafter. (The bonus damage affects all structures.)

DISCIPLINE OF MIGHT: Upon obtaining 9.5 bonus attack damage, Akali gains 7.916% spell vamp, increasing by an additional 1% for every 6 attack damage gained thereafter.

Very strong passive. Your runes and masteries are built around this passive. Your gunblade will help further make use of this amazing passive.

Q - Mark of the Assassin - Akali throws her kama at a target enemy, dealing 45 / 70 / 95 / 120 / 145 (+ 40% AP) magic damage and marking the target for 6 seconds. Akali's basic attacks or Crescent Slashes against a marked target will consume the mark dealing the same damage again and restoring 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 energy.

Your bread and butter, the bulk of your damage. Early game, you will use this to farm minions, sustain, burst, gank, troll, whatever. This ability is very weak early because it's difficult to get close to proc it. However, once you reach 6, you can abuse the "double-mark-proc" combo (see ability combos) and deal a HUGE amount of burst damage to your laning opponent. Late game, you're simply going to be r'ing to the squishy and procing this in conjunction with lich bane for big damage.

W - Twilight Shroud - For 8 seconds, target 300-diameter area stealths Akali and grants her 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 armor and magic resistance. Attacking or using abilities reveals her for 0.5 seconds. Enemies inside the smoke suffer 14% / 18% / 22% / 26% / 30% slowed movement

Sounds simple and easy to use, but hard to learn how to use this very important ability correctly. This can be used offensively or defensively. This ability is your early game lifeline. It allows you to farm and harass your opponent without being abused by range or trading abilities. The stealth lasts for a split-second after you leave the border of the shroud, so you can perform long range double-mark-proc bursts on your unsuspecting lane opponent. This ability is also commonly used as an escape method. You can juke and jive around the shroud and find an exit or jump to a enemy minion with your ultimate. You can also use this to slow a group of prey or enemies chasing you or your teammates. A smart lane opponent will buy a vision ward on their first back and render this ability useless, so try to gank often and kill your lane opponent as often as possible.

E - Crescent Slash - Akali flourishes her kamas, dealing : 30 / 55 / 80 / 105 / 130 (+ 30% AP) (+ 60% AD) This ability also activates a present Mark of the Assassin on targets.

Your AoE ability. Mainly used for proccing Marks and dealing additional damage inbetween bursts. This also deals physical damage, not magical damage, but scales off BOTH your AP and AD. It doesn't deal that much damage so if youre farming youll need to use it twice to kill a creep wave. Be very careful of using this in teamfights. It could use up vital energy you couldve used on your Mark of the Assassin, resulting in you dying and your enemy escaping.

R - Shadow Dance - Akali dashes to and deals 100 / 175 / 250 (+ 50% AP) magic damage to target enemy. Akali gains an Essence of Shadow every 25 / 20 / 15 seconds, affected by cooldown reduction, up to a maximum of 3. Additionally, Akali gains an Essence of Shadow for each kill or assist.

This is what makes Akali, Akali. This is your what allows you to burst down that squishy at the back, and able to proc your otherwise useless marks. You'll have 3 of these, and you can commit all of these on a single target to insure their death. Also, everytime you get a kill or assist, you get another dash, which will allow you to turn the tides of fight or dash to a different target to kill. You can also shadow dance + auto attack late game for great burst damage if your Q is on cooldown or you are out of energy to finish off an enemy, as this only consumes essences, not energy.

Ability Combo

(Insert Gunblade active / ignite when needed)

The most simple one that everybody knows:

Q -> wait for cd -> R -> auto attack -> Q -> R-> auto attack -> E

The above combo can only be used sometimes in ganks, a single target, or in lane. In teamfights, you usually do not have the luxury of waiting for the cd. Instead, in a teamfight, target the priority squishy and perform this combo instead:

R -> Q -> R-> auto attack-> Q -> R -> E -> auto attack

With this combo, you can instagib at least one person before you get focused down, and after you do, you can either flash out, pop shroud, or revive from GA, then find another suitable target to burst. (A suitable target to burst would be one that you could kill quickly with a combo, or one which your team is killing and is it and mid-low health)

(You can substitute R for flash if R is off cooldown)

Early game

Guard your jungle, leash your jungler, and focus on getting through your early game by csing as much as possible and not dying. If you have a weak laning opponent, you can abuse this with shroud harass and mark procs. Once you hit level 6, you should have 1275+ gold. Push the lane, return to base, and get a revolver and ward.

Mid Game

At this point, you can play extremely aggressive. Put down your shroud and perform your double-proc combos for huge damage. Finish them off with additional procs, shadow dances, and ignite, then push the lane and go roam with your jungler. The key to winning solo queue is influencing other lanes and snowballing your team to win early. Coordinate with your teammates to gank other lanes or kill the jungler in his jungle. Take your own wraith camp when your jungler isn't around and steal the enemy big wraith whenever you can with a simple q auto e auto. If youre are really succesful with roaming, you can even buy an oracles to snowball even more. Get dragons whenever possible and take as many objectives as you can. Push your advantage to the absolute limit

Late-mid game

This is when baron becomes a factor as champions become stronger, it starts to become killable. Most solo queue games either end quickly as one team has a HUGE snowballed advantage over the other, or over baron fights. Pick off enemies with youre teammates and push as much as possible. This, I would say, is when akali kind of falls off. However once you finish your build you will end a monster of an assassin.

Late Game

This is when you regain the powers of mid game. If you ever manage to obtain a full build, you can kill any squishy within a matter of seconds. Once you get void staff, even tanks will begin to fear your insane damage. Your pushing abilities are also insane. Lichbane procs combined with the magic damage portion of your passive will absolutely destroy structures, making you a great backdoorer. You can take down large monsters (blue golem, red lizard) with 2 mark of the assassins. In late game head on teamfight, find a suitable opening, then jump to their AD carry and unleash everything on them. They will die very quickly. If they have GA, quickly jump onto another suitable target and perform a burst on them aswell. Once the ADC revives, jump back on them and finish them off, and use the jump you just gained to continue the fight. Simply, a 6 item akali is hard to deal with as she may be easily focused down, but she can take down whoever she wants in a split second. Make that count.

EDIT: Fixed organization and minor formatting errors

godmarck

11-12-2012

nice guide +1

MaximusEvil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Useless champ, Lee sin>Akali, I wouldnt play her, if riot gave me all the free RP in the world of LoL

TehJackAttack

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusEvil View Post
Useless champ, Lee sin>Akali, I wouldnt play her, if riot gave me all the free RP in the world of LoL
Good job! You learned that lee sin reveals stealth champs with this E and Q? Congratulations, sir!

Good luck preventing Akali from snowballing off the other lanes, since she is more mobile and has more burst damage than Lee.

hellrazor22

11-12-2012

Quote:
Nice job comparing 2 completely different champs! I bet your ELO is as high as your IQ

RadicalGaming

11-12-2012

Quote:
All Lee Sin does is reveal Akali in her shroud with tempest. How does that make her a useless champ? You forgot considering a lot of factors.

- Both of his revealing spells are SKILL SHOTS that CAN BE DODGED.
- It is fairly easy to avoid getting ganked as akali as you can simply place a ward on one side of the lane and hug it (only applies to mid lane, which is where I usually go)
- Revealing Akali does just that, reveal her. That doesn't affect your damage, or your ability to instagib someone.
- Personally, I LOVE laning against Lee Sin's with Akali top. Most Lee Sin's (people like you) think they got you beat because of his reveal, but they fail to realize the point that it doesn't effect her massive burst damage.

MaximusEvil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor22 View Post
Nice job comparing 2 completely different champs! I bet your ELO is as high as your IQ
Lee Sin is a direct counter to akali.. l2play

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalGaming View Post
All Lee Sin does is reveal Akali in her shroud with tempest. How does that make her a useless champ? You forgot considering a lot of factors.

- Both of his revealing spells are SKILL SHOTS that CAN BE DODGED.
- It is fairly easy to avoid getting ganked as akali as you can simply place a ward on one side of the lane and hug it (only applies to mid lane, which is where I usually go)
- Revealing Akali does just that, reveal her. That doesn't affect your damage, or your ability to instagib someone.
- Personally, I LOVE laning against Lee Sin's with Akali top. Most Lee Sin's (people like you) think they got you beat because of his reveal, but they fail to realize the point that it doesn't effect her massive burst damage.
Merc treads+hex drinker makes your damage null. E is not a skill shot, all I must do is stand near to your invisi pool, and BLAM revealed, then I q to your ass, while you run in fear.