Is Caitlyn Viable for ranked? [Rate My Build?]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enemy Syndra GG

11-11-2012

Well, Im about to be level 30 pretty soon and I have been pretty steady with Caitlyn as My main champ. I love Being ADC as her because of her outrageous range and she is just overall fun for me to play. She Scales extremely well early game and has a great poke with a ulti to ensure any kill that would have otherwise escaped. While People argue that their are better carries then Caitlyn like Ashe, Corki or Ezreal, i think she is just as effective even though she has no stun/slow and her snares are easily avoidable. But I find she has a great kit, and excells at pretty much everything.She is versatile and can dominate any lane if played correctly.Top and bot due to her passive makes farming a breeze, and mid is easy if you know how to lay you're traps. Let me go in depth about how I play caitlyn .

She has the slowest Attack Speed then that of any other ADC, Has no stuns or slows, and no Steroid. Some people think that this handicaps her but i feel she is still a great champion for those who know how to play her .

Lets start off with runes.
so far i have 2x Greater quintenese of alacrity and run 9/9/9/ greater alacrity on glyph/seals/marks. I do this due to her low AS and with the items she will be built with will more then make up for her "handicaps" .
For Masteries I like to go 23/7/o Again going for attack speed and damage plus armor pen. and vampirism for lifesteal.
This Gives her 0.9 AS at level 1 and allows great farm for your lane.
Summoner Spells I like to take are Flash and ghost , Because if your being chased just simply use your e to slow the enemy or get over a wall in the jungle (can also vbe done with flash) and ghost away .
Other spells that are good are ignite for before she gets her ult, and heal.

Early Game I start off boots 2 health pots and a mana pot (just so i can spam my q and dont have to run to base)
Boots are the first thing i Build on caitlyn . I usually go For Berserker's Greaves, but if enemy team has heavy mage or AP or lots of CC i go merc treads simply for survivabilty

First you're going to want to build Infinity edge. It will give you that heavy damage and it goes great with you're passive ! Then you want to go for phantom Dancer, for the speed and critical combined with passive and infinity edge is a dealdy mix. Next you want to go for blood thirster. People tell me i should buy this early game instead of PD or IE but i see it as pretty pointless because Early game anything can happen and you will lose the stacks. Why have the lifesteal if you dont have the brute force to back it up ? After this I have one of two options. YouMou's Or Another IE. I usually go YouMou since its cheaper and it has a active, plus still gives crit bonus plus CDR overall a great item on cait if you can play her well. Finally I like to go for Gaurdian angel. Even though People tell me its a "troll pick" it has saved my teams ass PLENTY of times. They kill squishy caitlyn and triple kill my team, then when i revive i Ks only other alive champ and scare enemies to basee or in one case i got a penta. The MR and armor is nice But i really love the revive.
Usually I never build up to the GA, but its only an Alternative to last whisper. I will ONLY buy if enemy team is not stacking any armor at all.

These are her stats with this build at 18
183o HP
14.9 HP regen/5 sec
Mana 985
Attack Speed 2.2
ATK Damage 545
Armor Pen 36 percent
Critical 7o percent
Critical damage 22o percent
armor 202
MR 148
Movement 426
and a whopping grand total of 1.1 k damage per sec.
5.7k/5 sec

People say I "troll" as caitlyn but i fail to see it if i am effictivly playing good and helping the team. I see caitlyn as a fun champion and people need to realize she is not handicapped, but she is a glass cannon, and as such she must not be played aggressivly ( agressive is nice though, Iv'e killed a Khazix and yi at the same time before with this build and then am shut down by someone in jungle barely escaping the last fight leaving me 3o health.) She must be play strategically. She has no stun or slow so you must set up traps strategically and ultimately can seperate the good caitlyns from the bad. You must know how to flash or 9o caliber net through walls in the jungle and place traps in bushes and other common heavy traffic areas. last week i went 31/8/16 which shows this build actually works . But i Like your opinions on this please. I often end up carrying the entire team, since i can clear out enemy in 2-3 shots. any tips or feedback would be appreciated (:

Gambler Lulu

11-11-2012

Well, I stopped reading when you started talking about runes but I have a friend who has recently fallen in love with Caitlyn and he just started out playing ADC and yeah overall it seems she is viable in ranked but takes a lot of skills to play.
His match history.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/21367281#history

Enemy Syndra GG

11-11-2012

Sorry i wrote so much lol i just wanted to go in depth about how i play her and why i like her so much i must have bored you to death xD

You're friends scores are impressive !

JJ Unbreakable

11-11-2012

Should probably put this in the Guides & Strategy section to find the people who like this kind of conversation.
Is Caitlyn viable in ranked? Yes.

Were you asking a question? I don't know. Your title is misleading.

Also, consider reading a guide on formatting. Walls of text are unattractive.

NHapollo

11-11-2012

Yes, caitlyn is viable in ranked play. Her primary purpose is to outfarm and zone the enemy adc (which she does extremely well). Many people consider her not viable because her late-game can be a little lacking compared to other ad carries. She excels in single-target elimination, but her ultimate can be easily blocked, especially in late game (in most cases). Otherwise, she is a very effective (and mana-hungry) adc that can carry as well as many others. As for your build, I find myself following your build up until PD. After that, I find that the enemy team stacks lots of armor so I build LW. Your builds should be situational, although IE, PD, and BD are all standard picks for an ad carry. Never tried Youmou's on Caitlyn, although I might after looking at your post. At the end of the day, however, Caitlyn is a viable pick for ranked if you're skilled with her, same with about any other champion. Right now, many people are focused on the "holy trinity" of ad carries (corki, graves and ezreal), and regard the others as lower tier, so it's normal for people to jump and assume that caitlyn is a "bad" adc because higher elo players don't use her. I wish you luck.

deirin

11-11-2012

Is Caitlyn Viable for ranked?
u kidding me? she has burst and longuest auto attack range
it's 1 of the best adc for laning and harassing....

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

Caitlyn's good. But she's a different kind of cookie. You need to be scoring kills, and putting your enemy behind if you want to win with her. Can't just expect to CS, then get free quadras, like Tristana, Corki, or Ezreal do.

I like to run crit runes on her during the laning phase. If I manage to get a crit during harassment, just line up a Q, animation cancel into an E, pop Ignite + Ghost, and then chase for the kill.

Personally, I find LW to be more useful than PD, after finishing your BF Sword upgrade of choice. Considering she has 2 physical damage spells that scale extraordinarily highly with AD.

Styra

11-11-2012

Never ever ever ever buy two Infinity Edges and don't build Ghostblade.
Here's your build:
Boots + 3 health pots --> (first back) 1 or two dorans blades (depending on how many you can buy) --> (second back) Bereserker Greaves and a vamp scepter --> BF sword --> pickaxe --> infinity edge --> Phantom Dancer --> Last whisper --> GUARDIAN ANGEL --> Bloodthirster --> pots pots pots pots potsp ots potsp ots pots pot sptso pots.

Never ever build two Infinity Edges.

Runes
Flat AD reds
Armor yellows
Scaling MR blues
AD quints

That's how I play every adc.

Enemy Syndra GG

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Unbreakable View Post
Should probably put this in the Guides & Strategy section to find the people who like this kind of conversation.
Is Caitlyn viable in ranked? Yes.

Were you asking a question? I don't know. Your title is misleading.

Also, consider reading a guide on formatting. Walls of text are unattractive.
Sorry I'll post it there now . and sorry for blocking everything up ill try to make the next one more pretty (:

Enemy Syndra GG

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHapollo View Post
Yes, caitlyn is viable in ranked play. Her primary purpose is to outfarm and zone the enemy adc (which she does extremely well). Many people consider her not viable because her late-game can be a little lacking compared to other ad carries. She excels in single-target elimination, but her ultimate can be easily blocked, especially in late game (in most cases). Otherwise, she is a very effective (and mana-hungry) adc that can carry as well as many others. As for your build, I find myself following your build up until PD. After that, I find that the enemy team stacks lots of armor so I build LW. Your builds should be situational, although IE, PD, and BD are all standard picks for an ad carry. Never tried Youmou's on Caitlyn, although I might after looking at your post. At the end of the day, however, Caitlyn is a viable pick for ranked if you're skilled with her, same with about any other champion. Right now, many people are focused on the "holy trinity" of ad carries (corki, graves and ezreal), and regard the others as lower tier, so it's normal for people to jump and assume that caitlyn is a "bad" adc because higher elo players don't use her. I wish you luck.
She does, and she also excells at pushing lanes. Rather quickly i might add. I know all those items are stanard on ADC But the other ones Such as Youmou's or witts end(which i forgot to mention is great for tenacity and the bonus magic damage to your AA's) often go underlooked and do not get buil very often. I tend to break away from the meta as it isnt always as effective as it should be . I also forgot to mention that with Weapon Expertise and Sunder giving you 16 armor pen at the beginning i really often dont see a need to build a last whisper when the youmou's give you an additional 20 Armor pen totaling at 36 armor pen which isnt that much enough to make a difference from last whisper.

The 30% AD 15% crit and 20 %armor pen and 15% CDR is great on her because her cooldowns are insanely long. The passive also grants 50% attack speed and 20% movement which can help escape ganks or chase down enemies . Its also good that its cheaper than IE and heavily choose it over LW because of all the advantages it grants.

Thanks for your comments ! You helped me notice some things i forgot to mention lol