@Xypherous: Need some opinions on a "Souls" resource mechanic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Robolewa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youso1337 View Post
Hmm, that sounds better. Bonus AD each time you use a Soul-Empowered ability for, say, 6 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.
6 seconds is way too long, unless you want to have extremely long cooldowns or an extremely small bonus. If it is, say, a 10% ad boost that lasts for 1.5-2.5 seconds, you can generally make use of it and stack it, but you don't permanently have 30% bonus. It also means the choice of skill order would matter. That said, it may instead be a good idea to have the souls magnify the effect of spells instead of just AD, since that is easier to balance (I'd say), but that said it could also make it harder to explain. For instance, of the passive is an ad bonus, why would you ever use skills in any order but e->w->q for maximum damage, but If it "amplifies spell effects", does that mean when I gain 16% ls and sv that it increases that effect by 10%? How do i communicate that to players easily? Food for thought. But I also feel like if the passive affects skill order (and if she has any ad ratios, a passive buffing ad certainly does), it should enrich it, not force it into one path for maximum damage.

Also, she should generate a maximum of one soul after 7 seconds of not being in combat, but she does not lose any over time. Maybe have the item for her adjust this to stack up to 2. Also, I'm not sure why she should only stack 3, except for flavor - I think having 5 would allow for conscious choice of how best to use them in combat, without making it too powerful. Like, always go for the E W Q Q Q? Or other things?

Youso1337

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robolewa View Post
6 seconds is way too long, unless you want to have extremely long cooldowns or an extremely small bonus. If it is, say, a 10% ad boost that lasts for 1.5-2.5 seconds, you can generally make use of it and stack it, but you don't permanently have 30% bonus. It also means the choice of skill order would matter. That said, it may instead be a good idea to have the souls magnify the effect of spells instead of just AD, since that is easier to balance (I'd say), but that said it could also make it harder to explain. For instance, of the passive is an ad bonus, why would you ever use skills in any order but e->w->q for maximum damage, but If it "amplifies spell effects", does that mean when I gain 16% ls and sv that it increases that effect by 10%? How do i communicate that to players easily? Food for thought. But I also feel like if the passive affects skill order (and if she has any ad ratios, a passive buffing ad certainly does), it should enrich it, not force it into one path for maximum damage.

Also, she should generate a maximum of one soul after 7 seconds of not being in combat, but she does not lose any over time. Maybe have the item for her adjust this to stack up to 2. Also, I'm not sure why she should only stack 3, except for flavor - I think having 5 would allow for conscious choice of how best to use them in combat, without making it too powerful. Like, always go for the E W Q Q Q? Or other things?
Good points to take into consideration. Thanks.

5 Souls has always seemed like a bit of a large number to me, but you're probably right about how it would let Grolla stay in larger fights for longer. I'll need to rescale a few things, but it should be for the best.

I'm actually thinking now to make her passive more like this: Every time Grolla lands a basic attack, she gains +X bonus AD for 3-4 seconds, stacking up to 4 times if Grolla strikes Champions (ala Fiora's passive). This would make it great when she wants to fight someone, but won't make it broken for last-hitting or jungling.

Tying the passive into Grolla's Souls, now that I think about it, would've been a poor design choice, as it would make her far too reliant on her gimmick. In this form, the passive would at least give her something she can depend on if her Soul count runs dry. Plus, it would make it so that skill order is now less relevant to the passive.

I am also planning to change the passive up so that Grolla will regenerate Souls if she does not attack for a bit, not if she takes damage. This should prevent her from being too easy to shut down by harassers/zoners like Teemo. She'll only stop her auto-regen of Souls if she's trying to kill things.

TtS GreatBlckJew

11-12-2012

Frostmourne hungers

TtS GreatBlckJew

11-12-2012

Akujiki is this sword.

Youso1337

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtS GreatBlckJew View Post
Frostmourne hungers

AnimusvsAnima

01-08-2013

This is interesting..

The Urban1

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimusvsAnima View Post
This is interesting..
10/10 bumb