[Champion Concept] Jasper, the Bannerguard

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mathyous

02-20-2013

Jasper, The Bannerguard

Combat Role: Tank, Support, Pusher
Tags: Melee, Tank, Pusher
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics:

---Defensive
Health: 425 (+90/lvl)
Armor: 20 (+3/lvl)
Magic Resist: 35 (+1/lvl)

---Offensive
Attack Damage: 55 (+5/lvl)
Attack Speed: .625 (+.3/lvl)
Attack Range: 125 (melee)

---Utility
Mana: 275 (+50/lvl)
Hp Regeneration: 5 (+.7/lvl)
Mana Regeneration:
Movement Speed: 345

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abilities:

Mustering Horn (Passive): Jasper summons a powerful ally fights alongside him on the Fields of Justice!
-----------
Jasper’s ally has his own independent stats and receives 50% of Jasper’s bonuses from items; additionally all of Jasper’s abilities grant his ally a temporary bonus effect.

Taking the first slot of Jasper’s inventory is The Flag of the Bannerguard, which enables the basic ally to be called into battle (Bannerguard). This unique item can be built into 1 of 3 different paths (1500 cost conversion), the Ranger (Greenrider’s Bow) the Magus (Orb of the Magus), or a Knight (Shield of the Resolute). This purchase is non-refundable and disappears after purchasing the upgrade (icon will then be visible in buffs bar above the health/mana bars)

* Notes*
Only one ally may be out at a time, if either Jasper or the ally is slain, a 60 (120 seconds if upgraded) second timer is activated. When reaching 0, a new ally is summoned automatically by Jasper’s side based on the item purchased. (Referenced above)

Bannerguard Statistics:

---Defensive
Health: 350
Armor:15
Magic Resistance: 20

---Offensive
Attack Damage: 35
Attack Speed: .525
Range: 125 (melee)

---Utility
Move Speed: 325
Health Regeneration: 5hp/5 sec
Mana Regeneration: This unit has no mana
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knight Statistics (receives 75% of bonus for defensive stats, no other bonuses gained):

---Defensive
Health: 1000
Armor: 55
Magic Resistance: 55

---Offensive
Attack Damage: 85
Attack Speed: .525
Range: 125 (melee)

---Utility
Move Speed: 375
Health Regeneration: 10hp/5 sec
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magus Statistics (receives 75% of bonus for offensive stats, no other bonuses granted):

---Defensive
Health: 650
Armor: 35
Magic Resistance: 35

---Offensive
Attack Damage: 115 (as magic damage)
Attack Speed: 1.0
Range: 525 (ranged)

---Utility
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranger Statistics (receives 75% of bonus for offensive stats, no other bonuses granted):

---Defensive
Health: 650
Armor: 35
Magic Resistance: 35

---Offensive
Attack Damage: 115
Attack Speed: 1.2
Range: 600 (ranged)

---Utility
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities
[Note]: Jasper’s Q, W, and E will set off a .5 second cool-down for the other two abilities. E.g. Jasper cast’s Q so his W and E are offset by .5 seconds. Upon casting the W, his Q will still have 6.5 seconds left, but his E now has a .5 before casting.

War Cry (Q): Jasper lets out a resounding battle cry slowing the attack speed of surrounding enemies, and increasing that of himself and his allies.
----------------
Jasper lets out a shout granting his allies a (25%/30%/35%/40%/50%) attack speed buff. At the same time, enemy champions caught in the cast range will have their attack speed reduced by the same amount. This ability lasts for 5 seconds and whose effectiveness decays rapidly. Additionally, activating this skill causes Jasper’s ally to slow the movement speed of enemies he attacks by 25%.

Decay rate: (5%), (6%), (7%), (8%), (10%) per second.

Mana Cost: 50/55/65/70/75
Cooldown: 7 seconds
Range: 650
Cast Time: .3

Emboldened Resolve (W): Jasper rallies the allies around him recovering a small portion of their health.
----------------
Jasper’s rallying cry will heal all allied units around him discriminating for minions and champions. (This ability does NOT heal Jasper) Additionally activating this skill will heal Jasper’s ally for 50/70/90/110/130 (+25% AP).

Health gained by minions: 25/35/45/55/65 hp (+25% AP)
Health gained by allied champions (shared equally based on the number of champions present): 80/160/200/280/320 (+25% AP)

Mana Cost: 50/60/70/80/95
Range: 650

Resolute Strikes (E): Jasper’s indomitable strength of will enables him to fight on when others would fall, granting him additional attack damage and inspires nearby allies to acts of valor.
---------------------------

Drawing on his strength Jasper’s base attack damage is increased by (20/30/40/50/60). Champions in the cast radius receive this buff at 50% effectiveness. This ability lasts for 5 seconds. Additionally, activating this skill causes Jasper’s ally to return a portion of their damage dealt to opponents back to Jasper and lasts until the ability wears off.

Mana Cost: 65/75/85/95/105
Range: 450

Inviolable Ground (R): Jasper heroically places his standard and faces off his foes with steeled determination.
--------------------

Upon placing the flag, Jasper and his ally are unable to leave the effective radius. For the next 10 seconds Jasper benefits from rapidly reduced cool-downs (+10/20/30%) and his abilities are (25/35/50%) stronger. Any allied champions fighting within inviolable ground’s radius receive additional armor (+25/35/45) and magic resist (+25/35/45). Lastly, while inviolable ground is active, Jasper’s ally receives all passive bonuses granted by his other abilities.

Mana Cost: 100/200/300
Cooldown: 160/120/90 seconds
Range: 700
Cast Time: 1s

Speech upon cast:
A: Stand steady my fellow warriors!
B: We fight together!

Lore:
Jasper, though not born of noble blood, quickly distinguished himself as a capable fighter on the battlefield. Serving under the banner of Jarvan IV during the outbreak of the Kalamandan war, Jasper grabbed the royal standard and rushed out to aid his commander. Taking charge of a small group of soldiers, Jasper punched a hole in the Noxian forces capturing a critical point. Unfortunately, a daring strategy by Swain, the Noxian commander, cut off Jasper’s forces from the rest of the Demacian army. Unwilling to let the flag be desecrated, Jasper and his soldiers mounted a final stand around it. Seemingly against all odds, his forces held until Garen’s detachment could re-establish a foothold. Recognized for his bravery in battle, Jasper was granted the rank of Captain and asked to serve as the bannerguard for the Demacian flag in the League of Legends. Additionally those who had served with him during Kalamanda followed their new commander to the fields.

Mathyous

02-21-2013

So far 2 thumbs...but no comments? Let me know what you guys think. Give critiques and your opinions!

ploki122

02-23-2013

I think this is an interesting take on the Pet-champion trope. Basically, you gave him a supportive kit, that his pet benefits of, and gave the opportunity to evolve his pet in a Viktor-esque way.

Here are a few "conceptual balance" that I'm not sure how you could handle with the current design however.
First of all, I don't think that the "permanent pet with fixed cooldown" mechanism is well balanced... Basically, if you start to pull ahead, even so slightly, you can rush a ranger upgrade and poke the hell out of your opponent. You could probably manage to outpoke Elise if you get an early kill on her, and she's known to be one of the best harasser... You would basically have a 600 range AA that doesn't trigger minion aggro, and doesn't really suffer from counter-trades. Your ally roughly turns every trades into pokes.
But then, that is only if you are ahead... If you fall behind, nothing prevents the exact opposite to happen... They will simply kill your ally and you will have 2 abilities to manage to CS (since your heal has no effect in a solo lane without ally).

Otherwise, I'm curious about why you chose to make the heal split between each champions within an AoE... In my mind it really only serves to create misplays. Basically, you will try to save someone from their ignite, but since your support didn't gtfo far enough, he steal part of the heal and that guy's dead.

All that aside, I do like how the champion works, but I could see a little more damaging abilities on his kit. Right now, you are a stat-on-a-stick champion, and those are either unfun or OP... Taric suffers from the same problem, he has too little abilities, making him unfun, but his auras just make him plain broken.

EDIT: Oh and I wonder how your allies would interact with on-hits, auras, and other items passives. Is it case by case like "nothing except BC"?

The only thing I ask for when I give feedback is that you vote in my VPVD poll

Mathyous

02-24-2013

Holy cow! someone actually looked at this! XD. And i totally get where you're coming from with all of those points. i actually hadn't thought of the "if he gets ahead" part before and that's a really really good point. The minions still need a lot of work to make sure they'd be able to be balanced, but I still think I like the option to upgrade them in a "viktor-esk" fashion. I did a little digging through the minion AI rules and they're pretty simplistic, I must say.

The reason why I went with a "split amongst champions" was really on the premise that I wanted a heal that wasn't quite designed like the other heals we have in the game. We mostly have "point-click" heals or in sona's case, an auto targeting priority heal. I'm pretty sure alistar is the only one with an AOE heal from his roar. With your example there though i could see where the shared split could be a problem. Perhaps setting a proximity prioritization where the heal works from the center outwards?

I thought of some damaging abilities but none really seemed to fit well for me. The best I could think of that still worked within his design was a natural attack steroid, but then again it still didnt settle too well with me in the end. Any suggestions on how I could maybe tweak that? I've considered him maybe attacking with the flag in some manner...

Anyway thank you so very much for taking the time to honestly read this and give it ur 2 cents. I've got a few other's that I've posted that I'm much more happy with and have a full blown lore and everything to them. (part of a 5 man team I'm designing). If you wanted to also give them ur 2 cents ill be sure to share the love around. ^_^

And for on-hit items, I think that they would lbe affected just like everyone else. If they targeted someone with randy's they'd be slowed. But i think that any of my own on hits (like BC) would not transfer over. I think that the ally should only take from jasper's stat augments. So while they'd get the health boost (if he was the knight upgrade) from the BC, his attacks would not then start doing armor shredding. Hope that makes sense.

Wrench, The Technician: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3158503
Rex, The Shock Trooper: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3160980

Once again, thanks for taking the time to check him out. I'll definately check out the poll. ^_^

ploki122

02-24-2013

So here my 2cents about your 2cents bout my 2cents about your concept...

1. Viktor-esque evolution IS nice. I didn't properly say it in my review, but I love that.

2. In my mind, if you go with a heal similar to Tiamat's effect, you'd have to have a dash or at least a MS boost in your kit. Otherwise, my guess is that most heals will feel weak. Worst case, you can even pair the dash and the heal. Another way would be able to target your ally so it's centered on him.

3. For damaging abilities, anything goes... I don't have any tangible ideas, since I never really commited on this champ, but I think you'll find some pretty easily.

4. I saw 1 or 2, they didn't really got me in, so I skipped over ><. I'm a pretty eclectic reviewer...

5. It does.

Mathyous

02-24-2013

Quote:
So here my 2cents about your 2cents bout my 2cents about your concept...
and here's my 2 cents to that in return XD. lol

1: Thanks. ^_^
2: I rather like the method of having it eminate out from a targeted champion I'll probably kit-flesh that one out and see how i feel.
3: I'm sure I will XD
4: thats totally ok. Im sure as i get better at these forums i can make it so it catches and grabs the eyes better.
5: also voted on the poll. Cheers.