Need some advice on ADC

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RushTFG

11-11-2012

Hello all.

I recently switched from maining support to practicing ADC after a few games made me realize that it might be a better fit for me. After having several 34-2-16 games with Ezreal, several 20-6-10 games with Urgot, and a few other decent scoring games with other ADCs I've run into a problem.

I can't seem to recreate any of the early success I had and it makes me question my switch to ADC. I had a few games last night where all 3 of my teams (mostly friends in a group I wasn't a part of) were telling me I should probably never play ADC again. I know people will do this but 3 groups in a row is pretty demoralizing.

I do have flaws which I recognize and am trying to fix:

1. I know I am greedy for kills in lane, especially early. I feel like it's a holdover from playing aggressive supports like Taric and Alistar. At the same time I feel like if I don't play greedy then I am way too passive and the other team just has their way with the lane. Also it feels like if my support plays too passively I always lose that lane.

2: I know map awareness counts for a lot and I will go out of my way to get wards for my support to make sure we have it, but at the same time I do facecheck bushes occasionally when I have defensive options to check instead.

3: I can't play an ADC without mobility. I tried Kogmaw and went 0/6/4. It was miserable.

I guess what I am coming here for is any advice or insight anyone who plays ADC can pass on that might make my learning process smoother. Right now it feels like a roller coaster from the aforementioned 34-3/20-0 games to the 0/5/0/9. I watch what helpful videos I can but am always looking for new resources.

Rezo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

how often do you play and what days/times? and what time zone

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

your elo went up, is the thing.

RushTFG

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezo View Post
how often do you play and what days/times? and what time zone
I usually play a few times a week ~8:30 PST till midnight or so.

RushTFG

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by doombotMECHA View Post
your elo went up, is the thing.
I don't have an official Elo as I haven't played a ranked game ever. Though I know there's an unlisted Elo for just random matches I just didn't think I'd be thrown so far ahead of my own curve so quickly.

solcroft

11-11-2012

Playing like Alistar and Taric is going to feed your lane opponents for sure unless they're brain dead. ADCs are champs with highly offensive stats, but the tradeoff is that they're generally fragile, and you need to play defensively in order to be successful (the reverse is true for tanks and bruisers, where you supplement your defensive stats with offensive tactics). When you play ADC bot lane, you win by outcs-ing the enemy ADC. Kills are nice, but they're strictly a bonus. Stay safe, do not die, ward the lane, stock on pots if your support doesn't have sustain, and farm farm farm farm. If you can rush that IE in 18mins or less, you have a pretty good chance of dominating the game.

Also, as a general rule of thumb - if you can't play a 0-mobility ADC, you can't play ADC. There are exceptions (like if the enemy team all have gap closers and yours have no tanks and CC), but positioning and kiting are key skills for playing ADC well. Don't be afraid of running and learn how to do it well, because you'll be doing it a LOT. Stay behind tanks. If you can't engage safely, always assume you won't make it out alive because 98% of the time that will be the case. (so decide whether it's worth engaging or you should just back off and not fight). Learn to kite, abuse bushes and fog, and learn to watch for assassins/burst AP.

The thing about playing ADC is that a lot of people do it expecting to get all the cs and all the kills in the game, and when they don't they start raging. Yes, you should get cs and kills, especially in lane, but during early and mid game you're hardly as important as the jungler, bruiser, and/or AP carry. You'll be weak, slow, and fragile. Your power comes in late game, and even then that's if and only if you don't get shut down, have farmed properly, and have a good team to act as meat shields and peelers. There'll be plenty of factors outside of your control, and the things you CAN control are often monotonous and "boring" (cs, kite, map awareness, positioning). The two biggest pieces of advice I would give you would be to learn how to cs, and to always have this mindset that you're a walking sack of free 300gold who generally has a hard time fighting 1v1 or running away from just about every other champion class in the game. If you cs well and don't get caught, then you MIGHT dominate the game - it's not a given just because you're ADC.

RushTFG

11-11-2012

Thanks for the response Solcroft. Another problem I run into is when I'm just trying to farm to stay ahead or catch up my support keeps picking fights that I can't properly engage in, be it behind the enemy creep wave when I'm ezreal or at a long distance when I'm urgot. They die and I'm then left to hug the tower. I can CS under the tower decently. My 15 minute goal is 150 minions which I usually hit or at least get close unless I'm getting shut down hard..

Also the it's usually not so much cockiness with the early aggression and kills but more of "the opportunity is there and I'm not going to pass it up because I'm sure I can land all of this".

solcroft

11-11-2012

If you really have 150cs in 15mins (which I doubt), then I have no idea why you'd need help with ADC.

Crazy Crann

11-11-2012

Rush, my advice?

Find yourself a partner to duo with who is at least decent at support but who has chemistry with your play style.

Chemistry in bottom lane is more vital than anything else. Without chemistry you can't survive enemy poke. Without chemistry your support won't know when to go in, because they won't know if you're going to ante up with them or just hang back and let them die. Without chemistry, you'll never get CS because your support will accidentally prevent you from getting last hits or throw in at an enemy when you should just be farming gold. Without chemistry your support won't know when or how to position to peel enemies off your ass when they seem stuck like glue to it, and you will get shredded like a brick of marble.

It comes down to things as simple as pathing -- a support that doesn't know you, the way to move, etc, might stand in your way and get you hit by poke you'd otherwise dodge.

Bot lane has the potential to control the game's mid-to-late phase, but only if they can play well together.

I'm not saying your only problem is a weak support -- you probably have played with several fantastic supports in your games. Everyone has ups and downs, but quality of game notwithstanding, if your support doesn't trust that you know what you're doing, you're in for a very rough game.

RushTFG

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcroft View Post
If you really have 150cs in 15mins (which I doubt), then I have no idea why you'd need help with ADC.
Ah sorry, didnt see the typo. 100 CS by 15m. Sorry ^^;