Strat check - Ashe

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AmericanMuscleX

11-11-2012

This for adc's playing Ashe for a while.

I have seen many Ashe being playing very defensive. For some reason I find this...odd. I play her very aggressive. I take a bottom lane with a decent lane partner and my whole strat is to harrass/poke right off the start. My goal is get both opposing laners below 50% at all times so they are very gankable for any jungler or my lane partner. I go full frost/slow right off the bat minus the first skill select which is always volley.

Is their a better more proved method of playing Ashe bottom? Should I only focus on last hitting creeps and quit wasting time harrasing? I am asking because I do not play ranked. I wanted to play a few melee/adc's and get very comfortable first. I have seen a few videos of ranked Ashe play, but in the beginning they seem more defensive than my style, I assume there's a good reason. BTW, I play aggressive but I don't tower dive early levels..I mean I harrass a lot is all.

Let's hear some good thoughts from fellow Ashes....

youmadbroimnasty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

You should play Ashe aggressive at the beginning levels because her starting crit should help you start off strong on harassment. She's a lot stronger at level 6 though because of her ult which is why most people probably play defensive.

iixSILENT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleX View Post
This for adc's playing Ashe for a while.

I have seen many Ashe being playing very defensive. For some reason I find this...odd. I play her very aggressive. I take a bottom lane with a decent lane partner and my whole strat is to harrass/poke right off the start. My goal is get both opposing laners below 50% at all times so they are very gankable for any jungler or my lane partner. I go full frost/slow right off the bat minus the first skill select which is always volley.

Is their a better more proved method of playing Ashe bottom? Should I only focus on last hitting creeps and quit wasting time harrasing? I am asking because I do not play ranked. I wanted to play a few melee/adc's and get very comfortable first. I have seen a few videos of ranked Ashe play, but in the beginning they seem more defensive than my style, I assume there's a good reason. BTW, I play aggressive but I don't tower dive early levels..I mean I harrass a lot is all.

Let's hear some good thoughts from fellow Ashes....
It definitely depends on the lane match up, but I play support Nunu all the time when my ADC is Ashe. The iceball from Nunu and boil on Ashe = perma slow. If people try to chase Nunu/Ashe they get slowed and kited. If they try to run, they get perma slowed and destroyed. Of course it depends on the lane (I believe a hard sustain lane would beat them) but the permaslow is killer especially after 6.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-11-2012

You should always be focused on last-hitting. Harass all you want, but don't miss last hits.

Part of the problem with being aggressive with Ashe is that there's no escape, like other ADCs have (Graves, Ezreal, Corki, Tristana), so if you're pushed too far and the enemy jungler comes down, there may be no escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iixSILENT View Post
It definitely depends on the lane match up, but I play support Nunu all the time when my ADC is Ashe. The iceball from Nunu and boil on Ashe = perma slow. If people try to chase Nunu/Ashe they get slowed and kited. If they try to run, they get perma slowed and destroyed. Of course it depends on the lane (I believe a hard sustain lane would beat them) but the permaslow is killer especially after 6.
As someone who plays a lot of support, I find that Nunu/Ashe is a little bit of a waste as a support/ADC combo. As a support, Nunu already only brings two things. Blood Boil, and Snowball harass/slow. Paired with Ashe, he only brings Blood Boil, as Ashe already has all the slow anyone could ever ask for, and there are other supports with better harass.

Blitzcrank, Alistar, Leona, Taric, and Sona would all be better supports for Ashe, in my opinion.

AmericanMuscleX

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
You should always be focused on last-hitting. Harass all you want, but don't miss last hits.

Part of the problem with being aggressive with Ashe is that there's no escape, like other ADCs have (Graves, Ezreal, Corki, Tristana), so if you're pushed too far and the enemy jungler comes down, there may be no escape.

As someone who plays a lot of support, I find that Nunu/Ashe is a little bit of a waste as a support/ADC combo. As a support, Nunu already only brings two things. Blood Boil, and Snowball harass/slow. Paired with Ashe, he only brings Blood Boil, as Ashe already has all the slow anyone could ever ask for, and there are other supports with better harass.

Blitzcrank, Alistar, Leona, Taric, and Sona would all be better supports for Ashe, in my opinion.

Well thought out. I guess I need to find the best laners with Ashe..as each bring pluses and negatives.

TBN Terror

11-11-2012

I mained Ashe for a while and she's still one of my favorite ADCs.

An important part about playing Ashe is understanding the usage of your passive. While you don't want to miss CS, if you have an extra 100% crit chance or another high stack, it can often be a good idea to use that crit on their ADC. A level 1 Volley/AA Crit on the enemy ADC to start out the lane does one of two things; Wastes a health pot, or wins you lane control, as their ADC now is down to half or slightly more than half health.

As for strategy for the rest of the game, play passive-aggressive. The most important thing is getting CS. The extra gold from your Hawkshot starts to add up quickly if you can get 80-100 CS every 10 minutes. Don't waste your passive stacks by autoattacking minions unless it's for the CS. If you notice it getting high, like I said use an AA on the ADC then go back to getting CS. Volley for harass but don't waste too much mana. As for Frost Shot, MAKE SURE IT IS NOT ACTIVE UNLESS TRYING TO GET A KILL. Occasionally you can use it to get a second or two more of harass, but leaving it on permanently is a huge waste of mana.

An early IE/PD works very well with your passive, allowing you to get those big crits with fewer seconds out of combat. As for supports, I find a good Soraka works very well since she should be focusing on restoring your mana and harassing with Starcall when you get a slow. The downside of this is that you don't have as much utility and would have to play more passive. On the other extreme, Leona is very good for an aggressive lane because her stuns combined with your slows and the stun off your ulti can be a great harass tool.

These are all based off personal experience and opinions. Hope this helps!

Also, depending on your team's playstyle, a lot of ADCs play more passively no matter what champion to set up more ganking opportunities for your jungler if your jungler if playing a snowball champion, or to prevent any from the enemy jungler if they are playing a snowball champion. Maybe this is what you're seeing in the ranked videos you have found? (I realize wards prevent ganks but there are certain junglers that do it expectionally well with or without wards.)

iixSILENT

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post

I'd have to disagree, respectfully of course. I don't think Nunu/Ashe is a waste of the slow, because Nunu's advantage over Ashe's slow is that iceball also slows their ADC's attack speed. If you couple that with Ashe's passive crits, volley, iceball, boil, and exhaust...there is almost no way to counter that with just a cleanse. Super high mobility champs like Ezreal may be able to escape with flash/blinks, but they'll be zoned out of lane constantly, making it super easy for Ashe to CS. Not to mention if you have any jungler with CC, you can almost guarantee a kill if the enemy is overextended at all.

Also as far as Ashe having no escape, that was the point I was making with their perma slow. Enemy jungler comes in, you iceball him...Ashe volleys to hit their ADC/support, and if needed you exhaust/flash away. Fairly easy escape. Sure there could be other options that would work, but I honestly would say try out Ashe/Nunu and see how it works. If anything, add me and play some Ashe ADC while I support with Nunu

Mynt

11-11-2012

Ashe is more of a backup choice for me, but it took me a long time to realize that Frost Arrow is more powerful than Volley in lane. I had to see it used against me before I understood. The moment you have HP superiority as Ashe, you can initiate a fight and there is nothing the enemy can do to escape. She's a lot of like Vayne in this respect, who I also play quite aggressively. It's last hitting as usual, but the second the enemy makes a mistake it's free kills. And although I end up last hitting less effectively as these types of carries (compared to say as playing Caitlyn), the kills more than make up for it.

It's the opposite of caster carries such as Graves, Tristana, or Varus, who have their big cooldowns and no follow up. Ashe has the ultimate follow up, but limited up front burst.