Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Please GOD can we be original.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valor Shincie

11-11-2012

This is more of a personal request on behalf of people who think like me. Im tired of the META its silly that people honestly believe there is ONE way to play, ONE way to build. And they will ***** and moan even if you own people with your OWN play style. Ya know, as if the meta itself wasnt made by people trying to figure the game out who came up with original ideas and builds. No thats not it, OH MY META IS LAW.

Please dont get me misunderstood i appreciate meta when it was created it helped with getting new players in to a decent flow. And i appreciate it now cause i know what people are going to do before they even do it cause no one can play different.

For example: the other day my friend picked Jax and i picked Brand(cause thats who i wanted to play) and we went bot lane cause the others were called already (i do respsect that). We owned our lane we forced the Vayne to go 0/7 in 20 and under 50 cs. And she tower sat with her Allistar we dove her and just pretty much dominated. And im not the best player i just have good days and matches and i try to do well. BUT i looked at her build she was still trying to get an infinity edge 20 MINUTES IN with no kills or farm. -.-
Wouldnt it have been more useful in this case to do use Vaynes natural damage her true damage W and get some cheap AS opposed to sitting there trying to get one of the most expensive items. And besides you get infin edge any person with logic with get a thornmail and laugh at you.

Any who im a radical thinker when it comes to gaming, i play tf (hybrid), i play Ez (hybrid) and i play Vayne (attack speed). And most games i do fine with them but im still called a noob or a troll "you would do better going this build" or "this would be more viable." Or my personal favorite conversations "thats stupid" Me: "why?" Them: "cause etc" this normaly ends with "so you say its stupid cause you would build something els or play another way."

Idk im just saying there are other ways to play the game rather than just do what is expected of you, acting like sheep. Any who comment your view points if you agree or disagree or if you want me to help you with a :"crazy build" i will try haha.

I Love Slurpees

11-11-2012

Complains about lack of originality... Posts one of the most common threads. But anyways people are closed minded and if someone doesn't tell them what to do they dont do it. People cry about uncommon champs in positions only because it's unknown and it can go either way and they don't want a loss.

youmadbroimnasty

11-11-2012

It's the safest thing to do but the meta does keep changing slightly if you haven't noticed ^_^ People would also need to learn different playing styles if they changed the meta so they're probably trying to stay in their comfort zone.

laxjoh

11-11-2012

I'll agree to a point. You haven't really ranked yet so you technically can't truly say "screw the meta" yet. If you're really good with said character at said match-up at said lane, by all means go for it.

To play devil's advocate, there's one reason why I will tell you also that you are partially wrong. Once you start ranked game, assuming you don't get stuck with trolls, you should have a very intense and competitive game. At this point, meta is not "suggested" but sometimes required depending on which roles you take. If you can steamroll Karma mid, go for it. But if you are versing top lane Yorick and you decide to choose Darius AND go unconventional build, then it will be you that is at fault.

Don't worry about the meta though. Build your own way but if it negatively affects your teammates, avoid doing so (or try to). You been reading those little footnotes before every match? I think it said people who communicate with teammates win 33% more games.

Clitoryx

11-11-2012

I usually play support blitz or soraka,and sometimes we see non-meta people bot and we always dominate the lane. The hardest one was olaf and annie,they were pushing us dirrectly under our turret, i healed for almost 6 minutes under the turret,and when my adc got apropriate gear,with the help of our jungler we ganked, pushed the lane and with soraka and (i think it was ez) lvl 6 they were just stuck. Impossible to harass cause my heal were to high,and my adc was too ''fed''. Long story short, just saying that sometime the meta is just ''the best way to play''. You can do whatever you want,its a game,don't care about close-mind people. And for the vayne,she was just stupid IMO

KnightxSScarlett

11-11-2012

The meta is never required, not even for ranked games. Anyone who tells you that you have to play by the meta in ranked queues is fool; and you're a fool if you believe them. Let people rage all they want for you playing something different. Put them on ignore. Because at the end of the day, they can report you for trolling (or refusing to communicate with team, or something like that) but Tribunal won't touch you. How do I know? I have faith in the Tribunal working as it should to weed out toxic players, NOT to enforce the meta.

Valor Shincie

11-11-2012

I know its not required but see i never get people like you who try and understand. Its like they cant mentally rap their heads around there being more than one way to play. I dont play ranked cause i though normals would keep it simple free and fun. But im starting to find out the exact opposite.

boodypoody

11-11-2012

you fail to realize one thing. the meta is there for a reason

best odds of winning

let me make an example here. in blackjack the idea is to beat the dealer. lets say you get 2 10's or 2 face cards and the dealer has and 8 showing (most likely it will be a face card underneath) now you have the 2nd best hand in the game, a 20. you have the ability to split the 2 10's or 2 face cards and have the potential to win double the money. however it could completely back fire on you and you could get 2 4's to make your winning hand from 20 to 14, you have just completely ****ed yourself in winning that round. however it could go the other way, you could get 2 aces and get 2 21's and win double the money you originally had.

the moral of the story is having the best odds of winning

the reason why bruiser top, ap mid, brusier/assassin/tank jungle then adc/support is the meta. is because AD carrys scale better off money than levels, they are also weak 1v1 and weak to ganks without a babysitter. the only "safe" ad carries would be ez and graves because of their slight mobility. AP carries however scale so much better to levels than gear 1-8. and they are usually safe because most AP carries are either very mobile or have a CC and mid lane is smaller compared to bot or top

now for top lane, bruisers fit into this role because almost all but not all of them must have 2 of 3 things

1. sustain

2. tankiness

3. CC and mobility

the reason behind this is because top lane is isolated and have the same length as bot lane, but you dont have a babysitter so you must fend for yourself against jungle and mid ganks, so you have to be able to survive those, or out right get out of a potential 1v3 gank

you also might ask "WELL BOODY WHY CANT YOU JUST PUT AN AP CARRY TOP, THEY HAVE CC AND MOBILITY" well kind sir, theres a reason to that, ONLY NON-MANA AP CARRYS CAN GO TOP for 1 simple reason, your far as **** from blue which is what most AP carries depend on for farming and harrasment

jungle is self explanatory if i have to explain why junglers need to either be a GP5 tanks or great gap closing bruisers/assasins then you need to play this game more

hope this clears everything up for you

the only way meta would change if the properties of these roles change. IE ad carrys start scaling better off levels than items, then maybe that would change

you could also say "well boody i 5 man queued with my friends and went all 5 tanks and we won"

im not saying other team comps dont win games, im saying the other team sucked and didnt know how to handle 5 tanks or you guys just may of just straight up out played them in everyway and was a close but good fight..

but what im saying is that if the other team was a AD/support bot, AP mid, top bruiser jungle tank/assasin/bruiser then they just straight up didnt do their jobs right or had a poor team comp. most likely the only way to get 5 tanks with a 5 man queue is to go blind pick. in draft pick if i saw the first 3 picks all tanks, id picked my team comp around anti-tanks....

in short non-meta team comps work, but not as often as the meta works

odds of winning friends... learn that

KnightxSScarlett

11-11-2012

Boodypoody is one of those "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" people.

Games aren't about winning. They're about having fun. I'm sorry if my Pikachu is too much fun to compete with your high level Fox play.

boodypoody

11-11-2012

Quote:
Mageinta Warrior:
Boodypoody is one of those "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" people.

Games aren't about winning. They're about having fun. I'm sorry if my Pikachu is too much fun to compete with your high level Fox play.

did i ever say "if you go against the meta you shouldnt play this game" no i did not, i was simply stating why the meta exists, in normal games i go against the meta all the time, **** i went ez jungle a few days ago im not saying dont do it, in ranked however its a different story, ranked is about winning, if you dont wana play the meta, then play normals because thats where it belongs

you dont have to resort to bashing me with sarcasm and implying im the scum of the earth

again i was stating why the meta exists and why people depend on it in games

if a guy was speaking about why terrorist attack people, and stated logical reasons behind it, does that mean he stands up for terrorism? no and your making those assumptions and thats why i have no respect for you at all and you shouldnt be in this thread because your doing nothing but being toxic to this topic