Tank build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eliwood5837

10-05-2010

I want to start using a tank and I was thinking about cho gath, I've played him and I like him, so what do I build? I usually play ryze,yi,shaco,akali, and sivir. Also in order please

fooolishfool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2010

As a tank, you tend to build based on what type of team you are facing (in general, you want to do this a bit anyway on any character). If the enemy team deals mostly magical damage, you build magic resist - Banshee's Veil is a very strong item for this, others include Force of Nature, that staff that gives AP/MR, and a few other things (just look up Magic Resist in the shop). Likewise if you are against mainly physical dudes, you build armour. Radunni's Omen could be considered the prototypical armour tank item, others include Sunfire Cape, Thornmail and Frozen Heart. You choose boots in similar ways (though you are probably already doing this on dps characters) - ninja tabi or merc treads depending on the enemy team. There are also a few items that give both armour and MR, including Ageis of the Legion and Guardian Angel.

If their team is relatively balanced, something like Banshees, Radunni's Omen, Merc Treads, and Guardian Angel is a pretty solid basis. In some (ok, many) situations, sunfire cape stacking can be a pretty effective solution also, since it nicely increases damage output in aoe situations.

Since you are considering Cho'gath, I think you are pretty well served by AP, in which case you can also consider Ryali's Scepter, having a slow on your spells is also pretty handy as a tank.

iP1ayJarvan

10-05-2010

tank cho's are kinda old i think. they're very good and definitely viable, but i think for the best potential, ap cho is the best, he gets enough tankiness with his ulti already, get rod of ages, rylai's, a void staff if heavy MR, and zhonya's. shoes go for sorcerer's. well that's my view anyway, he got quite a huge burst which prolly would kill anything if all of em hit, especially with ap.

edit: btw, if u goin for tank lemme tell u my opinion of an item: WARMOG'S ON CHO GATH IS STUPID!!! think bout it, his ulti provides 750 hp bonus, get all max hp/lvl runes and u can start off with a force of nature for magic resist instead and next go for frozen heart/guardian angel, then thornmail, then banshee's veil etc etc.... well, dont forget shoes too, decide between mercury or tabi (i think merc is the best ever). with all that natural bonus in hp, all u'd need right now would just be armor and magic resist. and hp stacking is also dangerous since madred's would then rape u.so best doin armor and magic resist, 4.5k hp isnt intimidating, its 450 armor and magic resist that's scary. build based on their team too, if they physical heavy stack armor , spell heavy stack magic resist

KoreanRacials

10-05-2010

I would like to agree with the above post: though Warmog's Armor is a popular choice, it isn't very good

There are far too many counters to mass HP nowadays, especially with all these Kog'Maws roaming around

I'd start with the Doran's Shield - you won't need the mana regen from the ring if you last hit properly
Then maybe get Aegis (if no one else has it on the team).

Randuin is great against physical heavy team, Shurelya's Reverie is great if your team needs that extra oomph towards survival, and mass Sunfire Cloak is great if you're the off tank, not main tank

Force of Nature is costly but amazing against casters. So is Banshee's veil (which is also great for using in laning phase, as it is made with Catalyst).

Standard build:

I'd start with doran's shield -> boots -> Catalyst (built with mana+ ruby crystals) -> Aegis Legion

Eliwood5837

10-07-2010

Bump

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2010

Cho'gath is a bad character to use for suggesting tank builds, he's better off as a caster than a tank.

Tank build are a bit trickier than DPS and Caster builds, you have to grab items based on who on the other team is hitting the hardest and what kind of damage the other team does in general.

Firstly, as a tank, the two boots you will ever buy are Ninja Tabi and Mercury Treads. Don't ever get boots other than those as a tank. Mercury treads will help you out against heavy CC and magic damage. Ninja Tabi is better for if the other team has a ton of Physical damage, or really fast attack speed. When picking boots, try to use this guide.

In order of importance:

Do they have good CC? (stuns, slows, fears, etc) If yes, then grab mercury treads. If no, then.......

Do they have a ton of magic damage? If yes, then grab mercury treads, if no, then grab ninja tabi.

As far as actual items go, you can never got wrong rushing a catalyst of the protecter, for two good reasons. 1. You can stay in your lane longer to farm, and 2.It builds into Banshee Veil, one of the best Magic Resist items in the game. If they have a lot of Magic, go for banshee, if they have a lot of physical damage, however, you have two choices, if your character has no mana or if the other team is pretty fast, make Randuin's Omen. If your character desperately needs mana, build Frozen Heart.

Lastly, and item I think is integral to every tank in the game, do your team a favor and build an Aegis of the Legion. It gives you a small boost to health, armor, and MR(Magic Resist), but also gives a boost to armor, mr, and damage to all nearby allies, it will basically give your team the edge in a teamfight. Some other nice items also include Force of Nature (move speed, MR, and HP regen), Guardian Angel (MR, Armor, and Revival on death), Quicksilver Sash (MR and you can use it to instantly remove all CC on your character), and Thornmail (Massive armor boost, reflects some of the damage from auto attacks back to the person attacking)

TL;DR: Tanks have to adapt to their enemy in their item builds; Ninja Tabi, Mercury Treads, Catalyst the Protector, Randuin's Omen, Frozen Heart, Banshee Veil, Aegis of the Legion, Force of Nature, Guardian Angel, and Thornmail are some great tank items.

Terchio

10-08-2010

It's a bit of an old guide, but this one is pretty much a must-read. At very least you should laugh a ton running through it. Very well made.

http://leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=28942

As far as tanking goes, you need synergize his natural abilities with those he already has. He already has an easy HP boost from the beginning, so armor/MR that up a ton. You mix HP with Armor/MR, you get much more protection than concentrating on just one of the two.

The big thing to keep in mind with Cho is that he doesn't have a surefire way of chasing down enemies. Most heroes can run circles around Cho, and all he can do to catch them is attempt to land spikes on him, and await a large cooldown. Get items with effects that will enhance your chasing ability like Randuin's Omen and Merc Boots/Boots of Swiftness, and get items to reduce cooldowns on his moves a great deal, like Randuin's or Frozen Heart. You could also make him basically indestructible with Randuins/Force Of Nature/Warmog's/Spirit Visage, but that requires a lot of money and isn't good without the whole package. Finally, one last thing that works well is Magic Pen Cho, as his abilities are magical (with the exception of feast), and you can also put on a Thornmail and improve the damage you reflect back at enemies. Just be sure that you find a way to make the opposing team not be able to completely run around you and you should be fine.