Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

League of Legends.. just a broken game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwistWrist

11-11-2012

Quote:
Rev Jeckel:
Humm.. maybe I should put it another way.. Your right, there is always something that a person does wrong that either cost them the game, or makes it more difficult. The Champ selection, or even original lane decision has an effect, but when it comes down to it, there is usally some kind of mistake that happens. I fully agree, and I am not saying that isn't true. Now the point comes into, that itself.. right there is a part of "Skill Level" a person of higher skill level is less often to miss a skill shot, or know to hide in a bush because they can't be targeted by X Champ. I am not saying I am better then the team that just trashed mine, I am saying that their skill level at the games, at the very things you listed is higher, and because of that it is an "uneven" game. The level thing.. your also right there, I merely mean it as a marker of experience, skill, etc. I don't mean it as it is the important thing, only what it represents.

Finally its an option to get better at the game? There are many other ways of getting better at the game then just going against people who have been playing for longer, or are just always better then where you are currently at. I thought this was the concept behind matchmaking in the first place?

Who cares if they played longer? I've had people with double my wins be completely useless at the game.

So what if they are better than you? If you can see why they are better, then you can learn to be better yourself.

Again, I have no idea why you are so confident that you can clearly see that the other team is more skilled than your team.

How can you be sure? Might it be confirmation bias? Can you see the starting team Elo?

How are you so sure that matchmaking isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing?

Individual skill-level is not consistent. It never is and never will be. At best, Elo is going to be a vague approximation. More so at lower levels.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Just improve yourself first.

You want better teammates? Improve yourself.

You want closer games? Improve yourself.

You want to win more? Improve yourself.

Not saying there is some tragic flaw with you. But self-improvement is pretty much all a player can do.

Saying the game is broken because you don't have close games does nothing. And again, matchmaking isn't here to make close games.

It only tries to make even games at the very start based solely on past games. Everything else after that is in your hands.

Advance 420

11-12-2012

If you are getting owned, then that means that you're hidden ELO is above what it should be. Find players who are equally as "bad" as you, and team with them. Then lose together, and your elo will drop you to a more appropriate level.

Level doesn't really mean much though. I'm in China, and we have a program here that shows the win %, how many total games they have played, which champs they play the most, and a rating. Most games we will have somone with 20 games played, and someone with 100. Sometimes even someone with 600 games played, and someone with 20. Even then, the guy with 600 games played might have 50% win rate, and the guy with 20 games might have 60% win rate. I find that the guy with 600 games is often no better than the guy with 20 games. Obviously the guy with 20 games is a smurf but the point is that level doesn't mean so much. Skill does.

In conclusion. Keep playing, and since you are bad, and drag your team down, you will lose more often than win, and your ELO will drop until you are at an ELO that is more competitive to your current skill level. Or you could just play Garen lol

P.S.

How to get better. Pick a champion and a lane, and play it. Get good at it. I have played lux 120 games in a row, I have a 60% win rate, and I'm still learning so much every day. There is an ideal way to fight each champion. You need to learn how each champion works, and how to most effectivly fight them. Then you need to gain the experiance to be able to predict ganks from enemy positions / enemy behavior. Don't hop around between champions, people think it's a good idea, but it's not. Sure, it's good to understsand that champion, but there is understanding a champions moves, and then understanding how the champion you are playing should react to the enemy's moves.

AlexxShadow

11-12-2012

Personally I love going against people better then me It gives me a chance to analyze their playstyle and item builds ect. You can't learn anything from a game you just went 10/0/30 in

GON the Mage Guy

11-12-2012

Quote:
Rev Jeckel:
First I asked most the people who I know play if they had ever heard of something like this, and although there has been a few that have been around for a while they have not.. But I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, as maybe there was something announced that they just didn't see.

Out of curiosity I ran a test. I talked a friend into making a character, and although I did point out what the buttons do, and generally what categories to look for items I did not tell them anything about the game (I wanted to see what it did when he played it).

Each time he played a game I watched and each time there was one if not more players that were just obviously over skilled to be that level. Now.. I was only able to talk him into 5 games before he just quit all together, and who knows maybe it was just bad luck as that is not a very large sampling, but that is some major bad luck. I am not saying this is "Scientific" but it is not a good trend to have at the very least.

This doesn't work, and although I do agree with your second paragraph about how game play even with the same player varies from game to game. It still shows the matchmaking is broken, and "Smurfs" are not being separated like it says they are.

I think one of the other issues I was running into was with playing with a friend it was counted as a "pre-made" so the difficulty it seen us as was upgraded. Though we were not "Better"since there were two of us it thought we were, and there ya go. So I might have better luck joining by myself... then I wouldn't get to play with my friends... so it is like a catch 22.

No, matchmaking is not broken. You simply don't understand what's going on when matchmaking happens.

Let's take your new friend. He's played only a handful of games (let's go with 5). Let's say Smurf A just created his account and started playing at about the same time your friend does, so he too has a handful of games played, both with similar outcomes because you're playing with new people and the win rate is variable. If your friend is a fast learner and does decently, then he's going to be placed with tougher opponents. The smurf is doing better than your average new player as well, so this will place him in the same bracket.

In short: Play more, and Elo will be more accurate. Elo is based off of a large number of factors depending on how well you do in game, not just win/loss. Elo has to be averaged if you're playing with someone lower/higher than you, so playing with a higher level person will generally put the lower level person at a disadvantage.

Did you tell your friend to just start playing PvP, not bots to get game basics down? He's gonna have a bad time, and also you're pretty cruel starting him off telling him nothing.

Did you or your friend have a mentor or another friend help you along to point out and help you correct your bad habits? If not, you're gonna have a bad time.

From what it sounds like, you're refusing to learn and blaming the matchmaking system. People also learn outside the game and apply what they learned.

This game is not easy. The learning curve is steep, but rewarding.

Tegakari

11-13-2012

"Very odd that you would come here to post this since your match history shows a 50% win / loss ratio in your last 10 games, so the matchmaking is pretty much spot on."

The type of person to say this could only possibly:

1) have at least one smurf account themselves, or;
2) not understand at all what a smurf account is

TwistWrist

11-13-2012

Quote:
Tegakari:
"Very odd that you would come here to post this since your match history shows a 50% win / loss ratio in your last 10 games, so the matchmaking is pretty much spot on."

There is no logic in this post.

Knowing how to check match history doesn't make you a smurf.

If anyone here doesn't understand what a smurf account implies, it might be you.

mambawarrior0

11-13-2012

Quote:
Tegakari:

That's some of the worst logic I've ever seen.

CowMeat

11-14-2012

Keep playing the game. You will be matched with players of equal skill. Don't make smurf accounts. Trust that the matchmaking, as it is fairly good.

NinjaSoxs

11-14-2012

I have had the same experience as the Op, tried making another account but the same thing happened. Either I was carried by smurfs or destroyed by smurfs. This seems to be really common the lower level you are. People make new smurf accounts for all kinds of reasons. The only real thing to do is just plow through it. Take every loss as a lesson and learn from the players that are carrying you. Figure out what they are doing and why they are able to carry the game.

I am close to hitting 30 now and all I can say is it gets better. Also I have found watching players stream on Twitch and Ownedtv helped me a great deal. Especially players who commentate about their decisions.