Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Managing Graves

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe10112

11-10-2012

Hi guys.

I bought Graves with IP for a few reasons: I need an ADC to play, he looks fun and not-extremely-hard to play, and Mafia Graves is on sale. (So if I like Graves, I’ll pick up the skin. Even if I don’t like/play Graves often, I’ll still probably pick up the skin, as it’s best Graves skin IMO, and RP is for purchasing Skins of course!)

So knowing this, I know I’ll most likely be playing Graves my next few matches. I know I should max Buckshot first, Smokescreen last, and Quickdraw second, with Collateral Damage whenever possible. I find that early game however, Graves gets REALLY mana-dependent, as Buckshot does take quite a decent amount of mana. Knowing this, how should I build and play Graves? Of course, he is an ADC, Bot Lane with a Support Champion, I know I should keep auto-attacking whenever possible to keep my passive up, and use E + Q combo to engage at close range (when Buckshot does TONS OF DAMAGE!), and aim Collateral Damage well. (Note: First game I played, I didn’t know that it was a Skillshot, so I missed all my shots T_T we still won though!).

I’ve only had him for a day and played only one game with him, but I do intend to play him for at least my next few games. How should I approach him? How to conserve mana? How to poke effectively? When to use Buckshot/Smokescreen/Quickdraw? Team fights? Overall, the big question is: How do I Graves?

Note that I am Summoner Level 16, so (as my Level 30 friends say), this is still "Noob Elo", so keeping that in mind would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Notorious P I P

11-10-2012

Dont buck shot to clear the minion waves. Just get your farm in and use buckshot after you dash in for a kill. He is mana starved early because he would be grossly op if he wasnt.

Amatzikahni

11-10-2012

You should never use any abilities while farming. If your support lands a CC on the enemy or if your support gets CC'ed by the enemy and it's time to put out some burst, E in and Q W -> autos/orbwalk. You should save E whenever possible in case you get ganked. Only Q to clear waves if you're trying to push hard for a good reason (team's ready to drag, both you and support need to b, enemies missing from lane and you're making them miss gold/xp to tower, your team is grouped and you're pushing a lane really fast, etc.). W should never be used outside of some sort of fighting with other champions (kiting, juking, slowing, etc.).

Magus Crow

11-10-2012

Graves is an ADC who wants to translate his early game dominance into late game power. Let's take a look at his kit and break it down:

Passive: True Grit - Graves gains 1/2/3/4 armor and magic resist per stack upto ten stacks for every second he remains in combat. Graves is considered in combat if he has taken or dealt damage in the last 3 seconds.

This is what makes Graves so strong early. Keeping stacks is crucial as a stacked Graves wins almost any trade in lane. For teamfights however you cannot rely on this to keep you alive if you blindly run in. Yes, it'll probably be good for an extra hit or two... maybe even three but as the priority target in every teamfight you'll still blow up and you'll still do it fast.

Buckshot (q) - Graves shoots 3 bullets in a cone out to 750 units. Each bullet deals 60/95/130/165/200 (+80% of bonus AD) physical damage to all enemies in their path. Enemies hit with multiple bullets take 35% damage from each additional bullet (81/128.25/175.5/222.75/270 (+108%) for 2 bullets, 102/161.5/221/280.5/340 +(136%) for 3).

Buckshot has 3 real uses. First is for burst. Blow this thing off in someone's face and the damage on it is incredible... not quite another ultimate but its up there. Burst is not what you'll be using Buckshot for most of the time however. The second use - harass / poke is. With a 750 range buckshot is better than your auto and will hit anyone who attempts to flee from you after you auto them (save for a reposition spell or flash anyway). Most of the time you'll use this when you see the opposing ADC go in for a last hit, you'll aa and buckshot for some decent damage and call it a day. Lastly buckshot is used in conjuction with smokescreen to quickly farm lanes at level 8 or so. With smoke at 2 and buckshot at 4 you can hit both abilities in quick sucession and burn through the entire wave. This isnt really a recommended use for the ability unless you've got a huge wave pushing to tower however.

Smokescreen (w) - Fires a smoke canister that deals 60/110/160/210/260 (+60% AP) magic damage on impact and creating a 500 unit diameter smoke cloud that lasts for 4 seconds. Enemies inside the cloud have their sight reduced (to anything inside the cloud and anyone attacking them) and are slowed 15/20/25/30/35% while they remain in the cloud.

This skill is huge utility for Graves. Use it to deny vision in teamfights, juke/slow chasers, slow runners (shoot it behind them), possibly cause smite/CS misses (smoke the opposing ADC at his tower if you have excess mana and watch him miss a ton of CS) as well as use in conjunction with buckshot to farm mass waves.

Quickdraw (e) - Graves dashes 425 units forward gaining 30/40/50/60/70% increased attack speed for 4 seconds. Each of Graves basic attacks lowers the cooldown of quickdraw by 1 second.

Mostly repositioning, gap closing and escape. Remember that you can go over some walls with this thing. DO NOT blow this simply as a gap closer for buckshot. Yes, smoke is a decent disengage but this thing can and will get you out of more sticky situations than smoke probably will. Only use it as an engague tool if you've gotten a CC on your opposing laner and are certain that the opposing jungle isnt setting up a gank or after your entire team has gone in on a teamfight. The attack speed steriod is VERY strong, especially late, but this skill is really the biggest trap that Graves has on him.

Collateral Damage (r) - Fires an explosive shell to 1000 units range dealing 250/350/450 (+150% of bonuse AD) of physical damage to the first enemy champion hit. After hitting a champion or reaching the end of its range the shell explodes dealing 140/250/360 (+120% of bonus AD) physical damage in a 800 unit cone.

Gigantic damage. The main thing I see wrong with most Graves players and using this is that they will save it to pick off runners. While this is a fair use for the skill it is better used as a quick follow up to a close range buckshot for a huge burst or firing it into a mass of opposing champions (preferably after said buckshot) for maximum damage output. This can potentially be used to steal a dragon or Baron if the opposing jungle has smite on cooldown for some reason but I rarely see this and its even more rare for someone to actually get a steal with this method. Might be worth a try though.

Graves mana pool isnt actually all that bad unless if you are managing it well. Buckshot costs roughly 1/5 of it at level 1 and slowly ramps up towards roughly 1/4 of it at 9. You'll want to be a bit conservative with it but harass if/when the opportunity presents itself. Keep Quickdraw and smoke in your back pocket until you need a quick escape / good disengage or want to go all in against someone. Once you pick up your ultimate at 6 you can burn through your pool VERY quickly if you arent careful. Again play conservative with you abilities (save buckshot harass) unless you see some reason to use them.

Hope that helps some.

Joe10112

11-10-2012

Thanks guys, I'll keep those thoughts in mind. I think I blow through my Buckshot too much by using it every time someone gets close. I also don't use my E a lot, should I use it for hard engages/pokes? E + Q combo for a poke, then drop a W on top of them and juke a different way to get out of any skillshot that might come around?

Janna F Kennedy

Recruiter

11-10-2012

don't waste your q's. use them with a basic attack every now and then for harras, try to not use it to farm

Magus Crow

11-10-2012

You should typically hold on to your e and w. E should only be used to go in if your support or jungle has hit a stun or root and you are certain that you can pick up the kill otherwise it is to valueable of an escape to burn it for simple harass. W should really only be used to juke an engage or slow runners in lane.

As for mana management I typically try to keep at least enough mana handy to Quickdraw and Buckshot. Having enough to Quickdraw, Buckshot and Collateral Damage is also advised. Graves' full burst does a TON of damage if you blow it off in their face.

TheOneMillion

11-11-2012

It can sometimes be a good idea to level up W second instead of E. Leveling E early doesnt benefit you as much because it is still being used as an escape usually or saved for emergencies. Leveling W gives it 50 (!) magic dmg per rank and also adds 5% to the slow. Dont underestimate the magic damage it does early on.

Yes the full burst is expensive, but use it when its time to rock.