Struggling as ADC in ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TKiWhiskie

11-10-2012

Hi everyone. I'm a 1000 elo player who mains AD Carry and I'm really struggling in ranked. There's a lot of things that give me a hard time. I play Vayne and Caitlyn in order of preference. Here's some questions:

1) What's the proper response to having an enemy support camp out in the bush closest to my turret while threatening to poke/attack me every time I try to farm? Sona is the worst for this, but Alistar, Zyra, Lux, Blitzcrank and Janna all do it too. I feel like I'm always behind in CS because of this. This happens even when the bush is warded. Am I supposed to just go all-in on them with my support?

2) With Vayne I feel as if I can do enough damage to make a difference during engagements that happen in the laning phase even pre-level 6. With Caitlyn it feels like I'm only tickling people with my auto attacks until I pick up Infinity Edge. Should I be buying 2 Doran's Blades before BF Sword to help with my overall damage? Also, should I run damage or armor pen reds for Caitlyn to help with her seemingly low DPS?

3) What are the best supports to run with Vayne and Cait? I often lane with a Nunu when I play Vayne or a Lux/Sona when I play Cait. Are there better choices?

Thanks for your time.

Spooky Bongy

11-10-2012

Hi Whiskie. I hope I can help you with the strategies I use.
1. If the enemy support is camping your lane, PLAY SAFE. Hug the turret and try to get cs. While doing that, be aware of the enemies movements and try to catch them off guard. Everyone is bound to make some mistake and you need to react as quickly as possible when they do.
2. When I play as ADC, I buy boots first. Then I go directly to 2 Doran's blade for that extra damage and life steal. Trust me, they help A LOT. As the role of ADC you need to outdamage their teams adc, especially during laning phase and Doran's will do that job. As for runes, I use red attack damage for obvious reasons.
3. As supports, I prefer soraka or sona. Sona has wonderful harass, a heal, movement speed boost, and a cc ultimate that is game changing. Her q's passive gives extra ad too. Soraka has a decent harass, a heal, silence, and can give you mana. She has a global heal that benefits the team and can save you from bad situations.
Thanks for reading this

adc

11-10-2012

So, to answer your second question, it's because of Vayne's silver bolts and the Q proc she gets. She's not doing any more damage attack wise, but she gets those two things to make her do more early on than a Caitlyn would without her passive.

My next suggestion would be this: Don't play Vayne. Caitlyn is an iffy pick. Vayne is really hit or miss at lower levels. If your support isn't good, and theirs is, you're going to have a really hard time farming. Vayne carries really, really, really hard late game, but she has some of the worst laning in the entire League. She needs a competent team to get her to the point where she can carry, or you have to be playing against really bad players (which is possible, mind you).

Caitlyn is a strong early game pick, but she doesn't scale late game very hard. If you're up against an opponent who is playing Vayne, you can punish them hard early on. But if you're picking Caitlyn against Graves, they're simply going to outscale you. Not to say Caitlyn is a bad pick by any means, but she doesn't have as much potential late game as most of the other carries do.

Start learning other heroes, like Ezreal and Graves. I know, I know - they're the FOTM "best AD" champions, but honestly, they're strong. They're good in nearly every situation, and they don't have a ridiculously weak early game like Vayne does (though that's balanced by not having a crushing late game like Vayne does).

futuresight23

11-10-2012

1. As Caitlyn, you could probably make camping out that bush a risky proposition with your traps and poke assuming you have it warded. As Vayne, probably CS at your turret as best you can and wait for jungler support to break the enemy team or for the enemy lane to get careless.
2. Probably 2 Doran's unless you have a ridiculously good lane phase. Damage for reds to aid with last hitting.
3. Nunu is very good with Vayne, and alright with Caitlyn. Taric fits well with any AD carry. Soraka would be of assistance in a Caitlyn poke lane but not sure she is the best fit for Vayne in keeping the enemy lane off of her.

Might be a good idea to learn other AD carries as someone else mentioned. Caitlyn with the buffs she has gotten over the last few months may be approaching generally good pick, but not certain if she is there yet. Tristana, Corki and Sivir/Ashe would be pretty affordable options. Think Tristana is free for something related to Riot and Facebook.

TKiWhiskie

11-11-2012

Well guys, thanks a lot for the advice so far. Last night I ended up buying Ezreal as AD Bottom suggested and I'm already noticing a difference. I won my first ever game with Ezreal against a Caitlyn/Sona lane and it wasn't even hard. The difference that playing Ezreal makes is unreal and I'm not even good at him yet. O_o

Thanks for the advice with the Doran's as well everybody. I tend to find myself trying to "skip" them since they don't build into anything else late game so I'll usually get just one and then try to get BF Sword, but I can see now how important they are for keeping me alive.

If anybody else has any other suggestions please feel free to leave them here.

Exprima

11-11-2012

Hey.
1. That's good, that means they're pushing your lane and it would make it easier for your jungler to gank and for you to farm. Just place a ward at that brush and play it safe until help comes. Try to poke at the brush camper when you can (would probably be harder for Vayne, but should be easy with Cait).
2. Most ADCs tend to get 2 Doran's Blades before getting a BF Sword, I myself get a Vampiric Scepter instead of a 2nd Doran's Blade.
3. Sorry, can't help ya there. I don't play Vayne or Cait when I do ADC.

JJ Unbreakable

11-11-2012

1: Rule 1 - Don't die. Stay safe. If they're that far out, consider calling in for reinforcements from jungle/mid.

2: As said, most people get Doran's Blades first. I run armor pen. Flat damage is good really early but it drops off.

3: Vayne likes Nunu. Everyone likes Blitzcrank, Ali and Sona. Cait likes babysitters > tanky, CC champs, Leona included.