@Statikk: Hunter's Machete - Possible Unintended Repercussions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MG z3rg3m3ow

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
No it currently costs 300g meaning you can start with 5 Health Potions (numbers subject to change before release).

The Hunter's Machete actually has no raw stats but instead increases your damage dealt to jungle monsters by a % and also adds bonus true damage to your basic attacks against jungle monsters.

The item then branches off into 2 upgrade paths one being Madred's Razor and the other being a new item focused more towards non-autoattack based champions called the Spirit Stone.
Checking through your thread, I first of all want to say I am very excited by the jungle changes and I highly value your skills and voice in the community, Statikk.

I simply want to voice a concern that you probably already have considered about Hunter's Machete, since, as you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
We tried to ensure that jungle items were non-optimal to laners.
The main concern I have is that single-target focused toplaners, with high autoattacks and mobility will be able to buy Hunter's Machete (a rather cheap item at 300 gold) for extremely fast counterjungling and dragons/barons. It basically scales multiplicatively on champions with high base AD and kits that promote many autoattacks like Tryndamere.

This is something that is actually extremely appealing to me as a Tryndamere player, who would benefit immensely from it, but I fear it may be rather overpowered and almost abusive.

Just mentioning so that you may keep it on your radar.

Good luck and thanks!

@Everyone: What are your thoughts on the subject? Discuss, bump, and upvote, if you are interested.

Edit: I think the main difference is that wriggles is a rather expensive item to buy.

Madreds itself for the procs is 1000 gold and it works off of procs (% chance to apply) while Hunter's Machete is 300 gold (much, much cheaper); it would add significant % increase to every hit, as well as true damage per hit, making it extremely and overwhelmingly effective on single-target champions like Tryndamere who would scale very well with it because of base damage and kit.

Twizted Leo

11-10-2012

I would be the same thing as buying wriggles...
I mean it builds into Wriggles so I don't see the problem.

MG z3rg3m3ow

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Leo View Post
I would be the same thing as buying wriggles...
I mean it builds into Wriggles so I don't see the problem.
I think the main difference is that wriggles is a rather expensive item to buy.

Madreds itself for the procs is 1000 gold and it works off of procs (% to apply) while Hunter's Machete is 300 gold (much, much cheaper); it would add significant % increase to each hit, as well as true damage per hit, making it extremely and overwhelmingly effective on single-target champions like Tryndamere.

KhaorvaK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

I don't think the item is that powerful.

While I haven't seen stats,

they intend to make the item something to hold over a jungler at low levels until he has more abilities/gear.

I see this being an item that won't do much for you on it's own past lvls 2 or 3.

i mean think about it... almost any champion can go kill any creep camp solo by level 6 or so (if they took the time to do so). I really don't think this item will be affective much past the start phase.

TAKE ME SERIOUS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Yeah this is definitely something that I hope they factor in. I'd hate to see it as a core buy on AD carries so they can farm (promote passive play). Not something I would be happy about as a support/jungler main

Arcus Veles

11-10-2012

It's probably an item that is good early but bad past the first few levels or so. A crutch so you can get in to the beefier and meaner jungle. I'll bet it doesn't do enough damage later on to beat out simply buying a damage item as any other lane or at any other time past the 15 minute mark.

Keep in mind also that the item seems to only have effects vs. jungle monsters.

xephh

11-10-2012

I'd be cool with top doing something else other than snowballing.

C-Jing top lanes sounds pretty cool, actually.

MG z3rg3m3ow

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xepherian View Post
I'd be cool with top doing something else other than snowballing.

C-Jing top lanes sounds pretty cool, actually.
Counterjungling is something many toplaners do already. This would just exponentially make it easier and safer.

Also, counterjungling when your lane is pushed, actually makes you snowball even harder.

:S

Cha0sniper

11-10-2012

The difference is that Hunter's Machete, from the information we have, will grant no stats or anything else that will be useful in lane. I suspect they will be alright with laners sacrificing their performance in-lane in order to be able to counterjungle, it seems like it would be an interesting strategic trade-off, especially if it will be punishable by their opponent.

Ayketh

11-10-2012

If you want to give up boots or cloth armor

go right ahead.