Cosplay Theorycrafting week 5: Xerath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

britthebadger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Hey everyone!

I'm Britthebadger, the Sejuani and Orianna cosplayer. I'm just letting people know that I've been making weekly posts on my website about how I would go about making a cosplay of a particular character/skin.

I'm up to week 5 now and I'm looking at Xerath this week. He has a really cool design, but I have yet to see anyone make a cosplay of him, so I thought I'd share some of my ideas, so here is the blog post!

How would you go about making a Xerath cosplay? ^_^

For those who are interested, I have looked at Volibear, Nocturne, Fiora, and Foxfire Ahri in previous weeks!

Feel free to share your comments/ideas! Also, let me know if you have any character requests for future weeks! ^_^ I love hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas!

Posted week 7 for cosplay theorycrafting! This week (as per RiotPenguin's request) is Headless Hecarim!
For those of you who missed week 6, I took a look at Rumble. ^_^

RiotPenguin

Concept Artist

Follow RiotPenguin on Twitter

11-11-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

It's great that you're sharing your mad sk1llz with the community!

Now, how would you do Headless Hecarim? :3

Love your stuff!

Zerglinator

11-11-2012

Well, first you sacrifice your soul and body to magic...

britthebadger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPenguin View Post
It's great that you're sharing your mad sk1llz with the community!

Now, how would you do Headless Hecarim? :3

Love your stuff!
Thank you, Riot Penguin! I'm really happy to be able to share and I love learning new methods to tackle a problem though hearing other peoples' ideas! I hope that this blog series adds to people's excitement of LoL and cosplay in general ^_^.

I'll keep Headless Hecarim in mind for future weeks. ^_^

Also, I'm planning on making Elise next with robotics incorporated into the spider arms so they can move! I have all of my theorycrafting plans set out in my head...just need to be able to get the materials! Get excited for the spider queen! ^_^

FlySkyHigh777

11-11-2012

Awesome stuff! Xerath is by far my favorite character (thematically speaking) and have been considering cosplaying him for a while, but didn't really know what to do. If you wouldn't mind terribly, I might be ripping off your ideas and going whole hog on a Xerath Cosplay. If/When I do, I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures and send them along to you!

britthebadger

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySkyHigh777 View Post
Awesome stuff! Xerath is by far my favorite character (thematically speaking) and have been considering cosplaying him for a while, but didn't really know what to do. If you wouldn't mind terribly, I might be ripping off your ideas and going whole hog on a Xerath Cosplay. If/When I do, I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures and send them along to you!
Yay! I'd love to see it! I was hoping that this series would help inspire people! ^_^ Glad I could help!

FlySkyHigh777

11-11-2012

Although, I'm going to admit being a 6'4" man on platform shoes is goin to make me hella tall, and probably freak the hell out of some people. What are your thoughts on doing the pointy fingers? I was thinking of just molding some craft foam against my fingertips to make the appropriate points and then using a skin-friendly glue to get hem to stay in place and then just wearing the suit over it.

britthebadger

11-11-2012

Quote:
Although, I'm going to admit being a 6'4" man on platform shoes is goin to make me hella tall, and probably freak the hell out of some people. What are your thoughts on doing the pointy fingers? I was thinking of just molding some craft foam against my fingertips to make the appropriate points and then using a skin-friendly glue to get hem to stay in place and then just wearing the suit over it.
I think if I could, I would try and build the fingers into the suit...Ideally, I would go for a plastic (like friendly plastic or wonderflex) molded around your fingers and then build the gloves and lights around them so that you don't have to glue them on and they form fit your fingers. I, personally, would shy away from craft foam since I've found that it breaks too easily and with the amount of stress your fingers can take, I would move towards durability.

I think I would prefer friendly plastic because you can mold it easily to custom shapes. The added durability will also make for wonderful nose-scratching! (at least, that's what I found with my Orianna ^_^)

FlySkyHigh777

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by britthebadger View Post
I think if I could, I would try and build the fingers into the suit...Ideally, I would go for a plastic (like friendly plastic or wonderflex) molded around your fingers and then build the gloves and lights around them so that you don't have to glue them on and they form fit your fingers. I, personally, would shy away from craft foam since I've found that it breaks too easily and with the amount of stress your fingers can take, I would move towards durability.

I think I would prefer friendly plastic because you can mold it easily to custom shapes. The added durability will also make for wonderful nose-scratching! (at least, that's what I found with my Orianna ^_^)
That's a good point. I wouldn't want the tips of my fingers flexing out on me. As an aside: I have several friends who are particularly good at electronic stuff, so I was thinking of hosting the primary controls inside his central chest icon. Then I was essentially going to add an on-off switch to one part of it so that I can conserve power, because if I get it to work correctly, this is probably going to kill whatever batteries I put in it like nobody's business.

britthebadger

11-11-2012

Quote:
That's a good point. I wouldn't want the tips of my fingers flexing out on me. As an aside: I have several friends who are particularly good at electronic stuff, so I was thinking of hosting the primary controls inside his central chest icon. Then I was essentially going to add an on-off switch to one part of it so that I can conserve power, because if I get it to work correctly, this is probably going to kill whatever batteries I put in it like nobody's business.
That sounds like an excellent idea!