Remove or Replace thornmail in TT (And Dom)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkomantis

11-10-2012

It's a bit ridiculous how tanky champions and bruisers can just take high health items and then take thornmail to negate all the damage my team's ADC does. All it takes is 2000g to be able to shut them down through out the game. They don't even need to pick a Randuins Omen or Frozen heart to reduce because a cheaper item does all the work for him. Thornmail is way too strong against AA champions and can so much damage on its own without proper magic penetration. It promotes negative itemization and gameplay in Twisted Treeline and Dominion.

In my last game the Master Yi on my team was winning the game until Rumble, Olaf, and Garen all took thornmails making it impossible to kill them without killing himself. No one on the enemy team picked a attack-speed reduction that's suppose to reduce damage taken. This is especially abundant in Dominion where a high damage dealer like Darius, Diana, or Akali takes thornmail to render a carry useless since they can't be focused even though they are major damage dealers. I have even seen a ADC take thornmail against another ADC only to win 1v1's later on in the game when they couldn't outsmart the player before buying the item.

Currently, Thornmail is way too strong for its cost and should either be removed or changed. It's way too easy to win a game just by picking thornmail...

Germanking66

11-10-2012

Seeing how they don't have magic penetration except Rumble, why don't you get some magic resistance? Thornmail is magic damage and seeing how Olaf and Garen don't have magic penetration, you could reduce the damage by about 50% or more by just buying a Banshees mixed with your own base MR. Then you can save Rumble for last in team fights. As to how to actually do damage, once you solve the magic return problem, get a Last whisper, It's about 2290 Gold I think? Now let's look at thornmail in its cost effectiveness. 700=42 armor. with this we could say 1400=84 armor and + 300 from cloth= 18 armor. 1400+300= 1700 gold and equally means you now have 102 armor. Add another cloth armor and you finally reach Thorn's cost at 2000 gold with 120 armor right? but then they shave 1/6 of the armor off, making the armor from it good, but not very efficient towards your gold, meaning that a good part of the cost isn't even fully repaid. The return feature is the only thing that actually makes it worth buying AT ALL. Since I'm going to assume your Yi never bought MR to counter it, that's why you guys lost. That's how I look at it anyway. If you look more under items, you can see some people saying Thorn actually kind of sucks. Those are my ways of understanding the cost of Thorn anyway, hopefully this helped you understand the item more.

XPrimeX

11-10-2012

You're really having a problem with this? You don't even need a banshee's. With the BoTRK(which you want anyway) and a negatron thornmail is as worthless as it's ever been.

FDru

11-10-2012

This thread is pointless. Thornmail is already being removed from TT (and probably Dominion, but I haven't heard anything about that).