A open discussion on Elo Hell (Experienced players requested)

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrEvilJanitor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

BIG EDIT
So, i have been convinced that i was wrong. Elo hell is just a concept that was made up to make bad players feel better. I'm just bad. The stream is still up if you want to watch a bad player getting better.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Hello and, welcome to what i hope will end the question of, "Does elo hell exist?" First, i am going to have to define what i have found elo hell to be and, iron out a few simple rules.
-Elo hell is the idea that someone above the skill level of the elo they are currently at is unable to carry to a higher elo. That said player no matter what he does will be unable to carry to the elo his skill level is equal to.

In this discussion, i will not allow the "Well if you would play AP mid 100% of the time" argument as, this entirely supports the argument in favor of elo hell. It claims that a 2k elo top player could not carry out of 1400 elo because he is not a AP mid player.

- TIPS ARE WELCOME
- GUIDES TO PLAY THE GAME BETTER ARE WELCOME
- POSTING IN THE THREAD OR, ASKING QUESTIONS ON THE LIVE STREAM ARE WELCOME AND, WILL BE ANSWERED
- THE LIVE STREAM CHAT WILL GET A FASTER RESPONSE
-ASK ME TO CHANGE MY MUSIC

I will be starting a live stream to supply something as a base for the discussion. The purpose of the live stream will be so that a player that has reached a higher elo can point out how he or, she would in the situation of the people on the live stream would have handled it. This will also provide evidence to those that claim certain games are un-winable and, because i will endeavor to stream every game i and, the co-streamers are playing it will allow for a base of how the average game goes down at 1200 elo.
-ASK ABOUT BECOMING A CO-STREAMER
`````````````````````````````````
http://www.twitch.tv/exterrex
`````````````````````````````````
TL;DR : I am streaming elo hell matches, tell me if you would be able to win them and, how.
ITT- Does Elo hell exist
---------------------------------------------------------
THE DISCUSSION SO FAR
While some have tried to make the counter argument that they reached a high elo from a low elo None of them have provided any evidence as to how they did it and, could not point out any mistakes made on the live stream. This makes them only support the argument that elo is random and, is not based on skill.

--------------------------------------------------------
Elo hell is not legit

DrEvilJanitor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

The stream is currently online and, i am taking questions.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-10-2012

was at 900 elo
played Annie mid in 75% of my games
now at 1200 elo

(Rumble top and Taric support being my back ups)

And it was K

11-10-2012

Just for starters, how do you define "carrying"?

DrEvilJanitor

11-10-2012

I define carrying as simply winning a game where if you had been doing as well as your team that, you would be losing the game rather than winning.

Megaflare

11-10-2012

Not really a topic of discussion. Elo hell is a mentality, it's an excuse to not remove the glass ceiling above your head.

I started out 3 wins, ended up going 8-20 win/loss. 800 elo, I thought everyone I played with was terrible.

Did some LOL soul searching, improved my gameplay, and carried myself out.

Now I'm 1850 elo give or take. This isn't my final step, just for this season. I truly believe at this very moment I'm about a 1950 player maybe even 2k, not diamond though.

Elo hell exists for those who create it. Remove the glass ceiling.

DrEvilJanitor

11-10-2012

Please then Tyyt6, take a look at the stream and explain to us how you would win these games. Disprove it to all those people and, remove the glass ceiling.

WalkingParadox

11-10-2012

started 1100 elo, now 1500 because Cho gath top, lee sin and amumu jungle, and kat mid =p

RogueVarus

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyyt6 View Post
Not really a topic of discussion. Elo hell is a mentality, it's an excuse to not remove the glass ceiling above your head.

I started out 3 wins, ended up going 8-20 win/loss. 800 elo, I thought everyone I played with was terrible.

Did some LOL soul searching, improved my gameplay, and carried myself out.

Now I'm 1850 elo give or take. This isn't my final step, just for this season. I truly believe at this very moment I'm about a 1950 player maybe even 2k, not diamond though.

Elo hell exists for those who create it. Remove the glass ceiling.
I somewhat agree with you, i started really badly fell to like 700, then stopped playing fell even more with elo decay. I have been slowly getting myself up now at 900. So it can be done if you try to talk to your teammates.

But the thing is a lot of the times there are trolls in champ select or afks ingame. you get frustrated you when you win 2 or 3 games but then loose 2-3 games because of trolls/afks. And it is near to impossible to get out of "elo hell" if that keeps happening. So a tip is to dodge games where you know there is a definte troll since it is better worth to not play than loose elo which 60% probably will happen because of the troll.

My 2 cents :P as a current 900 elo player :P

Demon Slayer

11-10-2012

I'm currently 1400ish, and let me say with absolute certainty that there are some people who just want to ruin the game for others.

My very first placement game of season two included a duo queue, who, after picking champs and starting the game, said "We're AFK", resulting in a loss. My next game included the same two individuals on my team.
I think the placement system is a little iffy, and the resulting placements don't give people a good "mirror" to improve their playing. It can take quite a while and a lot of effort to move up a small amount, and only then can you really start to see a difference in game concept comprehension. You can't expect 900 players with no prior experience with MOBAs to rise above other 900 players without playing with higher Elo players at some point. It's like sticking someone on a football team and never allowing them to play with anyone better than them after they finish tryouts, and only letting them learn from players of their respective skill level.

12345 ... 7