Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Question about FRAME RATE CAP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HotSaWce

11-10-2012

what is an ideal setting to keep my frame set at? sometimes my fps bounces all over the placce other times it stays at 60? can anyone help me please

thanks in adv ance

xThamalx

11-10-2012

From Wikipedia "Frame rate (also known as frame frequency) is the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. The term applies equally well to film and video cameras, computer graphics, and motion capture systems. Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS) and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz)." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate]

Most monitors are at 60hz, so you should try and achieve that.

Amaranty

11-11-2012

From personal experience, I can say that if you don't want to use Vsync, then you should use high or benchmark. Benchmark will simply unlock the framerate cap and high will impose some kind of a framerate cap but it will keep it lower.

Honestly, LoL' framerate cap is the worst I have ever seen in a game. There's something wrong with the game engine and how it deals with the framerate. The framerate locks 30FPS, 60 FPS and 80 FPS don't work as they are supposed to. For some reason, if I choose 60 FPS lock, then the framerate just jumps around 45-60 FPS, even though I can achieve 180 FPS on benchmark.

So my suggestion is to disregard 30, 60 and 80 FPS locks and just try high or benchmark. But if you use Vsync then the fps locks don't mean much since Vsync will lock your framerate to your monitor's refresh rate, either 60 or 120.

Amatzikahni

11-11-2012

I've played all my computer games at 30 FPS for so long that 60 FPS actually messes me up. It's stable even when loading lots of massive effects.

BackStabx

03-25-2013

M3GaL0d0n

03-25-2013

The simply rule of thumb is always use V-sync, unless you computer is incredibly powerful and is several generations ahead of the recommended system requirements, most consumer level computers cannot push out more than 60 FPS with the game at maximum settings. V-sync ties your frame rate to the monitors refresh rate, which means it goes as fast as you monitor can poll your graphics card for new frames. If you aren't getting 60 fps consistently, you need to lower your settings. If you cannot get 60 fps while on minimum settings, you will need to upgrade as there isn't anyway to force the games graphics engine into a lower quality. If cannot get new hardware, you're going to have to suffer with mediocre frame-rates during team fights or skirmishes. Riot's game engine is extremely poor compared to the rest of their work and it isn't very flexible.

This may be completely wrong for you but it's what works best for me and I've done my homework on the subject. Give us some specs to look at and we'll see what else we can come up with.