smurf banned? main banned

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mogjin

11-10-2012

I understand your worry about family/friends getting banned on your computer/IP, but in all honesty (this will sound cold) but that's not Riot's problem. If they implamented some universal ban they wouldn't be able to distinguish between separate humans. They can only work by code and numbers.

Though I suppose because of this, is the reason why they don't IP ban or computer ID ban.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-10-2012

There are two major problems with IP bans.

1) College campuses, internet cafes, etc. It would not be fair to John, who owns some small business computer cafe where he makes a profit charging people to use his computers/Internet is some ****** kid got himself perma-banned at John's place of business. Now John loses tons of business on customers that would've come in to play League.

2) Plenty of people have non-static IP addresses. Getting a new IP is as easy as resetting their modem. Even if you do have a static IP address, you can call your ISP and request a new IP address.

So, point one means that IP bans will unjustly ban out a lot of players who've done nothing wrong, while point two means that players who actually deserve permanent bans can still evade them quite easily.

KnightxSScarlett

11-10-2012

If you ban the computer/client and not the IP, you don't have to worry about it. Only the computer is banned. And if you're going into cafes just to play LoL, well that's not the cafe owner's issue. Banning by computer/client doesn't block an entire campus.

KnightxSScarlett

11-10-2012

It'll encourage better behaviour, wouldn't it? You can sort out family issues on your own time.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-10-2012

Banning by computer right now I could see as a possibility. This is something that goes back a LONG time in computer gaming. When PunkBuster was introduced as an anti-cheating measure in FPS games, it had the ability to ban people based on some sort of computer ID, and basically the only way to evade the ban was by changing your video card or processor or something.

It's still slightly problematic when it comes to public access computers in computer labs (there's a local game store where I live where they've got a dozen or so Alienwares for customers to come play games on, etc.), but I think that's a relatively minor issue.

But I'm not up to date with the times on these sort of bans... so I don't know how viable of an option it is.

One thing I know for sure: IP bans are simply not an option.

Soraka Goes Mid

11-10-2012

Banning by computer still bans people unfairly. What if multiple people in a household share one computer? Should they all be banned? What about public gaming labs? My campus has a gaming lab with about 30 computers, all of which have League installed on them. If one person gets banned, should they have to say, "Sorry, nobody can use this computer to play LoL anymore."?

KnightxSScarlett

11-10-2012

It doesn't ban anyone unfairly. It blocks the computer's access to League. People can get new computers (and anyone that doesn't have their own computer to play LoL on, I pity the fool).

Another way is to link accounts through computers, but that would be the same as an IP ban.

Niiko The Goat

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
It doesn't ban anyone unfairly. It blocks the computer's access to League. People can get new computers (and anyone that doesn't have their own computer to play LoL on, I pity the fool).

Another way is to link accounts through computers, but that would be the same as an IP ban.
Yeah, because everybody craps money and they can go get a new computer any time they want...