What ever happen to Draven ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Defendi

08-22-2012

I have not seen him played since his release. What is going on, is he really that UP ?
Or is he a champ that works its best in Sr but simply out classed in Dom ?

HaIfhearted

08-22-2012

Draven has a few things in his kit which kinda screw him over in Dom.

First is his short range.
550 range means he has to be in what is essentially gap-closer range to attack stuff.
Pretty much every bruiser in the game, and *every* NEW bruiser has a gap-closer of some sort which they will gladly use on him if he gives them the chance.

A lack of a reliable escape mechanism also means that once a bruiser gets in his face, they stay there.
Yes, I'm aware he has a slow and a speed boost.
Problem is a lot of bruisers have slows/stuns to counteract it. Also exhaust.

He also has very low poke, and no burst damage.

The axe catching-mechanic also tends to force him to choose between maximizing his DPS, and getting too close to the enemy team for comfort.

Grantson

08-22-2012

I'll make story.

Once upon a time (like 2 months ago) Draven had an inferiority complex from his elder brother Darius. Not only was Darius considered among the top tier in Dominion, he also looks 20 year younger then Draven who was suppose to be the younger one.

To boost Draven's own self esteem, he practiced his axe catching skill by a turret where Teemo laid half of a dozen mushrooms. Draven accidentally threw his axe too close near the turret, so he ran blindly to catch it, only to find him self bombarded by exploding mushroom. Thus he died under the turret and Katerina laughed at him. Poor Draven was so ashamed he got killed by Teemo he ran back to Noxus and was never seen in Dominion land ever again.

The End.

Sauron

08-22-2012

He lacks the abilities that allow most of the other AD carries to contribute well (disengage, cc, good steroid, pushing power). Too bad, really, because I like his concept a lot.

Also his W sucks because it doesn't change the speed of his Q, making it proc even less should you manage to keep it going.

Phourc

08-22-2012

I think halfhearted pretty much nailed it, but he's in the same situation as Varus: Interesting kit, but almost unplayable on Dominion due to his lack of escapes.

Look at the top AD carries - Ezreal, Vayne, Corki... they all have an ability that lets them get the hell away from a bruiser out for their blood.

jremmons

08-23-2012

I would disagree with you on Varus, Phourc. ZaberZ and Onisnake are two high elo players who do well with Varus, because unlike Draven, Varus has exceptional range and pushing power as well as a steroid, and his ultimate can act as a pseudo escape or powerful CC.

Redenbacher

08-23-2012

Varus and Ashe are on the same level with one another. They can do very well if they have a front line to support them, but if their team lacks that ingredient, they do very poorly.

Draven isn't played because he has short range in combination with no escape. His global ultimate is nice for defending, but Ezreal does it all better.

Graves also has short range, but he also has a short dash/AS steroid and a huge front-end burst that punishes melee bruisers more than any other... and all that AoE... and a means to shut down an enemy ranged AD carry for a moment or two.

TCWA Tigerbite

08-23-2012

Ummm, whenever my team needs an AD Ranged, I always pick Draven. I love Draven. Dude is a beast. A little flimsy in the early game but does nothing but destroy the further into the game you go. His big down fall is that his ult is fairly weak opposed to other ult's in the game, but still wreaks havoc if used correctly in team fights and can be a game saver when disrupting a tower capture.

I also enjoy Varus and he's usually my 2nd goto whenever I'm bored with Draven. Only dislike I have with Varus is the fact no one knows how to fight whenever I use my ult! So now I just use it in the middle of team fights for some extra damage and hope it helps my team out ;D

MyDeadGrandma

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWA Tigerbite View Post
Ummm, whenever my team needs an AD Ranged, I always pick Draven. I love Draven. Dude is a beast. A little flimsy in the early game but does nothing but destroy the further into the game you go. His big down fall is that his ult is fairly weak opposed to other ult's in the game, but still wreaks havoc if used correctly in team fights and can be a game saver when disrupting a tower capture.

I also enjoy Varus and he's usually my 2nd goto whenever I'm bored with Draven. Only dislike I have with Varus is the fact no one knows how to fight whenever I use my ult! So now I just use it in the middle of team fights for some extra damage and hope it helps my team out ;D
You have Draven's skin, right? I'm pretty sure you're the 1 Draven that appears in every 50th game who kicks the absolute piss out of me.

HaIfhearted

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
~ lacks..... good steroid~
A 0.85 AD auto booster that can be continually refreshed and a 40% AS boost are fairly good steroids.
In terms of damage output, I'm fairly certain Draven out-does stuff like end-game Kog'maw and Tristana.

His problem is getting jumped and dying, as well as not being able to kill minion waves quickly.