League of Legends lag problem.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sevro

11-09-2012

My games often lag when action starts up. Either team-fights or small skirmishes.
Today I lost a game because when my team went to hit the nexus in TT, I DCed. DCing also happens.

We've tried changing routers. I bought a network adapter. Cleansed netsh. LoL is an exception on my firewall. It's wireless, so I tried a wired connection and it was fine. The router is in the room right beside mine. I've tried pretty much every test.

The lag and disconnections only happen when action starts up. If I'm just walking to lane, then it's fine. This also happens in GW2 and Dota 2.

I just don't understand what the heck is going on.

Sevro

11-11-2012

bump

BioKast

11-11-2012

It'd either be your bandwidth, or your networking card. One or the other isn't allowing you to send/receive packets freely.

Dduukkhhaa

01-20-2013

I was having random lag spike problems and I made two changes that completely fixed the problem.
#1. My bandwidth was 2Mbps down and .5Mbps up. I found that anytime I was running Pandora in the background, I'd get a ping spike when it switched songs, or buffered. After upgrading to 15Mbps/2Mbps I no longer have this issue.
#2. I forwarded my router ports for League of Legends using http://portforward.com/ -- it's free. Just go to their site, select your router, model, and the game. They give you a step by step guide on how to forward your ports. (Note: If you are having problems forwarding your ports, it may be because your router requires a specific ip address such as 192.168.1.109 instead of 192.168.1.0 which is the default for single port forwarding)

If this does not work, I have heard that calling your ISP and asking them to disable IP Flood Detection can help. IP Flood Detection is used to prevent DDoS attacks by denying multiple pings from the same IP address. When in a game, sometimes your ISP will detect other players as IP addresses that are constantly pinging you, and attempt to filter them creating lag. I did not need to apply this fix, so I have no experience with it, but it was recommended to me by the same friend that helped me with the port forwarding.

Something that helped me narrow down the issue during the process. I downloaded a program called Performance Pinging http://www.snapfiles.com/get/perfping.html
I ran this program in the background while playing, having it ping Google.com every 5 seconds non-stop. You could also do this in your cmd prompt if you don't want to download a program. Anyway, the second I was lagging in game, I would tab out to check if my ping to Google had spiked. Since it wasn't spiking, I knew it was directly related to LoL and not just a general internet issue. (Also indicates the need for port forwarding). You can also run this program to servers like Google for 30 minutes or so without any programs running to see if your ping is spiking consistently. A few rare ping spikes I don't think is uncommon, but if you're getting a lot of ping variations like 20ms, 20ms, 60ms, 45ms, 20ms, 20ms, 100ms, etc. There is definitely a problem with your internet, which may not be related to LoL.

I did also apply QoS (Quality of Service) ports to my router. You can look up guides on how to use QoS for LoL. This is supposed to help stabilize your program's connection, but it didn't help for me. I did this before all the other steps, and didn't notice any change. It might work for you if nothing else does.

Aulė of Valinor

01-31-2013

fd