Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tristana vs Swain at mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fratley

10-05-2010

I had my first battle against Swain at middle I can say it was... well... interesting.

It was a league of legends tug-of-war because when either of us harassed each other we both took an equal damage. If he went at me with a Laser-Bird+Torment combo I would pop Rapid fire and spam some auto attacks (while keeping an eye out for Nevermore). Likewise when either of us went for the kill I would kill him and then Torment + Ignite would kill me.

Reasonably sure that if someone zoned him out (mebbe a few lucky crits) at level 1 and got the level advantage could probably stomp him.

Although it is rather early, OK maybe extremely early, just curious if any other Trists had fought one at mid yet.

End of unimportant thread.

Leirkov

10-05-2010

EWEWER 1-6.

Poke him with auto attacks and E, run in odd directions so you don't get rooted, you'll be fine. When you do it enough you can burst him down. Especially at 6. As long as you don't get hit by the root, laning against him isn't a problem.

Warrrax

10-06-2010

I really don't agree with your use of Rapid Shot. Its a +30% attack speed boost only, and your auto-attack certainly wont be sustained for any significant lenght of time. Hence, you probably won't even get but maybe 1 extra auto-atack out of it.

Instead you should take Explosive shot (E) at 1 and use its active as a 100 damage DoT. Then 1 level of rocket jump.

Leveling Explosive shot at 3,5,7,9 seems to be the best way to go. It only increases your DOT by 25 dmg per level and increases mana usage, but it's better than nothing. It also helps you farm and damage the baddie by last-hitting minions that are close to him.

Leveling rocket jump(W) past 1 doesnt have much benefit except for more damage but its largely a chase or escape tool. The lowered cooldown doesnt help much either.

Leveling Rapid Shot(Q) past 1 only gives marginal benefits which wont see typical use until past level 10. At level 18 Rapid is awesome in team fights, but under level 6 it is almost useless. Hence I only take 1 point early as it can rarely be useful if you can siege a tower. I dont want to ignore it TOO long though because at mid-game you want it leveled up.

Hence I'd level: E,W,E,Q,E,R,E,Q,E,Q,R,Q,Q ...

Rezo

11-28-2010

I did yesterday, it went pretty much how you described but I could tell the dot damage would finish me off if I went for the kill so I didn't. As far as killing him at lvl6 I think that would be pretty difficult. I would have to keep knock him away from my minions and hold explosive shot for his ultimate wouldnt i? I am not sure that would work out to well. Hopefully i'll get another chance to face swain in the middle.

GreyGriffin

11-28-2010

As a Swain player, Trist becomes increasingly more difficult to lane against as she levels up because she begins to outrange Swain. While I play an incredibly tanky Swain, and thus lack in massive damage, Swain's need to duck into range and the short range of his laser bird's dot work against him in this pairing.

Smellis

11-28-2010

All I got to say is if the swain is good AND going pure AP, you got till lvl 6 to kill him. After that he isn't leaving the lane unless you somehow can get him below half THEN pop your healing debuff and try and burst him down.

Avoid roots at all costs, you'll eat everything he can throw at you.

Most swains lvl up E first, straight forward dot but dont let him auto attack you after he gets it on you, 20% extra damage is extra damage you dont need to take in the laning phase. Laser bird does the most damage but its leashed to where ever he uses it so run away. Most swain players are pretty good at leading their root skill, but if you randomly go off in different directions you make it VERY hard for him to land it on you much like karthus' Q.

hmmm... what else... Eh i got nothing

Rezo

11-28-2010

thanks for the advice perhaps I will try to start with boots instead of dorens when I encounter him the next time. Maybe with boots ill be able to take even less dmg from laser bird.

Saraphic

11-28-2010

I've been playing Swain quite a bit. In general, he is good at mid, but a pretty bad character to have there, because later in the game he just really doesn't have the carry potential you do as trist.

I think your best bet is to simply out farm him. Against early trist, I play very aggressive because most trist players have a tendency to fight, which is not a good idea against swain. If the trist gets early boots and jukes me a lot while last hitting, later in the game she will start to dominate. The worst thing you can do is fight and feed him, because then he gets his ult at 6 while you're 4 or 5, you're done. He can and will dive you for kills with ult turned on, especially if he has flash/ignite.

Rezo

11-28-2010

hmm so I guess ill go with early boots and put more points in explosive shot earlier. I think ill need that extra damage on minions to prevent from being pushed back to the turret and having it take damage.

Saraphic

11-28-2010

Swain has a short range on his auto attack. He is dependent on the auto-attack last hit to maintain his mana early on, until his mana regen/level runes come in to play later on.

He can't farm with spells since most Swains take Torment, their DoT first.

This means that many times, he will be close to the melee minions trying to last-hit the ranged minions.

This means that you can:

A: Use your superior speed and put a DoT on him with E
and
B: Hit him with some incidental damage from explosive shot when you last-hit the melee creeps. Again your goal here is not to kill him, but keep him harassed low so he is scared of cross-lane ganks and can't dive you with a Nevermove.

I would level EWEEQR. Don't bother with the lock and load until you're higher, realistically you're not doing any ganking until level 7-9 anyway.