caitlyn or kogmaw?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

moeido

11-09-2012

hi guys i just reached 5000 IP and im looking for an AD carry since i only own Vayne <3 . I always see high elo players playing Caitlyn although kogmaw seems like a solid pick. but i read alot that kogmaw needs alot of babysitting when farming and he is risky. whereas caitlyn is good early but fails late game. im really lost. i want an ad carry who will help me raise my elo and help me carry the game even if my team members are dying alot. Any help?

ProPlayerEd

11-09-2012

I would actually like to recommend the Holy Trinity which consists of Graves, Ezreal, and Corki.

These 3 are prolly top ADC's to use in solo que (though i maybe wrong xD)

they also have a solid reposition-er though I would like to really recommend Graves.

Graves overall is just good.

His passive makes him a bit tanky, and not to mention 3 Aoe spells that deal ridiculous damage. He's just a solid pick and i believe he is the ADc for u

Möbîus

11-09-2012

Caitlyn has a very strong lane presence, and can harass the enemy adc heavily with her huge AA range. Her traps also make brush control very easy too, and lining up a stun-trap combo with supports like taric usually means a sure kill, or at least a blown flash. However, her lack of damage steriods means she doesn't scale that well into late game unless fed. Her traps and net however give her two possible peel/escape mechanisms, so she can get out of bad fights if necessary.

Kog is a late game monster. He can tear apart anyone, adc or tank alike, once he hits full build. His W gives him huge range while active, allowing him to farm better if under pressure, or harrass his lane opponents. A fed Kog will rip enemy teams apart. His ult also provides a very strong, long range poke (longest spammable poke in the game). However, he lacks any form of escape, save for the AoE slow from his E, and is very squishy. So unless your team can keep the enemy AP carry and assassins off your arse, you're dead meat. Unfortunately, all too often your team wont realise this in solo queue, and you'll get comboed down before you get to live up to your potential. Duo queueing with a good CC champion is your best bet here. If Kog lives through a fight, the other team usually won't (unless fed).

As Ed said, the 'holy trinity' are often considered the best picks for solo queue, due to their combination of strong damage, high poke potential, high mobility and escapes. They are not as dependent on your teammates, and hence your performance is governed more by your own skill than that of your teammates (though you still need them to not derp around). Of the three, I'd recommend graves or ezreal, since Corki's short attack range can take some getting used to.

rikoLash

11-10-2012

I guess this depends on if you are playing Solo Queue or normals. Out of the Holy Trinity, Graves and Corki are both mana dependant early game. Corki can get harassed early game. With Ezreal you have to actually hit skillshots.

In normals, I definitely recommend Kog'Maw, if you already play Vayne, farming with him (in terms of needing a baby sitter) is similar. His general strengths are the same, and infact he is safer than Vayne.

I think that Caitylnn allows you to be less reliant on teammates due to her early game strenghts in lane with an annoying amount of harass.

Personally, I recommend Graves or Kog'Maw or Brand for the best ADC's.

Rezo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeido View Post
hi guys i just reached 5000 IP and im looking for an AD carry since i only own Vayne <3 . I always see high elo players playing Caitlyn although kogmaw seems like a solid pick. but i read alot that kogmaw needs alot of babysitting when farming and he is risky. whereas caitlyn is good early but fails late game. im really lost. i want an ad carry who will help me raise my elo and help me carry the game even if my team members are dying alot. Any help?
Both of hard to master, kogmaw harder. Would advise against both for you.

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeido View Post
koggy has better harrass range, but has to stay farther back b/c no escape mechanism
of the trinity:
corki, whiel being short-ranged, will deal true damage as of s3 to any1 he can gatling gun, because of the new black cleaver applying on gatling ticks
Graves has the best burst, and can eridicate any1 who gets too close at lvl 6, as long as there is a taric support to help
Ezreal has the highast range in the trinity, and he can alter teamfights with trueshot barrage
just my 2 cents

TehJackAttack

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoLash View Post
I guess this depends on if you are playing Solo Queue or normals. Out of the Holy Trinity, Graves and Corki are both mana dependant early game. Corki can get harassed early game. With Ezreal you have to actually hit skillshots.

In normals, I definitely recommend Kog'Maw, if you already play Vayne, farming with him (in terms of needing a baby sitter) is similar. His general strengths are the same, and infact he is safer than Vayne.

I think that Caitylnn allows you to be less reliant on teammates due to her early game strenghts in lane with an annoying amount of harass.

Personally, I recommend Graves or Kog'Maw or Brand for the best ADC's.
Did you think nobody would notice you put Brand in your list of best ADC's?

Hasuobs

11-11-2012

This really depends on your playstyle, and to an extent, your support/jungler. If you have experience playing Vayne, I would recommend Kog'Maw, since they have similar playstyles (Get to late game).

kmoose

11-11-2012

They are my two favourite ADCs!
I've never really liked the 'trinity' carries much, although I do play some graves/ez if I feel like it.

Kog is a good choice if you want more of the same. He plays similarly to Vayne in lane, and fills relatively the same role (hypercarry/AS-based %health damage). He's a lot of fun, hard to learn, but if you can get good with him you will be a better carry player for it. He also helps you get really, really good at anticipating enemy's movements. I learned to ADC with him and now I can snipe with his living artillery like a boss.

Caitlyn fits a completely different carry role, and would be a good choice if you are looking to flesh out your champs available for select. She is a stupid good poke lane and if you can use her range and poke properly you can crush the opponent's bot lane hard enough that her iffy late game isn't a problem. She is a completely different champ you would use in a completely different situation.

That's my opinion anyway They are both lots of fun and completely viable. Just because you see a lot of Corki/Ez/Graves doesn't mean they are always the best choice. I stomp all over them most of the time with Kog because I know him so well and have improved my positioning skills to compensate for his lack of a dash/blink.
Hope you have fun with whoever you end up buying!