Item Preview – Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-09-2012
25 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Phantom Dancer being a good item isn't a bad thing (after all, why would I want a bad item?). But I think Phantom Dancer is too good of an item. It provides the most attack speed and crit chance in the game. It's also incredibly cheap for what it does.
Yeah, Phantom Dancer has had its' statistics extensively readjusted. It lost a *lot* of movement speed and a little bit of attack speed. It's also slightly cheaper and thus less slot-efficient.

It's been known for a while that Phantom Dancer was just too good but nerfing it would've caused a drastic effect on AD carry mobility / balance for a while. We've shifted some statistics around into other items that AD carries can easily fit into their builds and now PD doesn't have to be the king of both AS, Crit and MS.

On the plus side, it now has Ignore Unit Collision on it though. How useful that passive is, I'm not sure - but it is something that people have been asking for quite a while on their carries.

Quote:
If Ionic Spark and MBR were so bad, why not just buff them?
Not a dumb question at all. It's actually a tricky answer.

Ionic Spark is bad because it has a large set of conditions attached to it, some of which you can't control (whether you are doing well in the game or not, whether or not you can get 4 attacks in or not.)

However, if you fulfilled these conditions, the effect is worth the cost. Shen, for example, can force a situation where Ionic Spark is good for him... most of the time.

However, the problem in raw numerical buffs to an item is that it isn't the effect or the net result that is bad - it's that the conditionals are too harsh. For Ionic Spark specifically - Health is an odd conditional statistic that is great early game and terrible late game. The grouping and 4-hit conditional are really hard to resolve in most cases without the item simply tipping from conditionally good to always overpowered.

You also run into the problem where buffing an item so that more champions can use it well necessitates nerfs to the champion that uses it best. Let's say we buffed Ionic Spark so that everyone else can use it better. Where does this leave Shen, if he's balanced? Shen can buy other items and be good, so he's not completely reliant on Ionic Spark but he can use Ionic Spark awfully well (and in a balanced way.) However, raw buffing Ionic Spark in this context makes Shen a monster - which then necessitates Shen nerfs - which pretty much locks Shen to only buying Ionic Spark to stay relevant - which is kind of a terrible thing.

Teraxe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
On the topic of noob traps what about recurve bow and how it can't builds into any viable items for ad carries, is that going to change?

recurve bow builds into 3 items, they are removing 2 of them.

Lostshard

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Yeah, Phantom Dancer has had its' statistics extensively readjusted. It lost a *lot* of movement speed and a little bit of attack speed. It's also slightly cheaper and thus less slot-efficient.

It's been known for a while that Phantom Dancer was just too good but nerfing it would've caused a drastic effect on AD carry mobility / balance for a while. We've shifted some statistics around into other items that AD carries can easily fit into their builds and now PD doesn't have to be the king of both AS, Crit and MS.

On the plus side, it now has Ignore Unit Collision on it though. How useful that passive is, I'm not sure - but it is something that people have been asking for quite a while on their carries.
Sweet new passive ... something for the list

ShadowNinetails

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
If Ghostblade was good, roughly half of the champions on that list would have a GP/5 option - minus Shen/Riven/Shyvana/Zed who have absolutely no need of it.

Let's just make Ghostblade good and then worry about the 4 outliers - none of whom are particularly weak at the moment (and barring Shen, none of whom actually want Heart of Gold to begin with.)
I mainly play Shyv as a jungle tank and have been pressed into tank duty as Riven in multiple occasions (either by my team's picks, the enemy's picks, or a mixture of both). In both cases, HoG/Omen are crucial buys for me. Omen has swung a lot of fights in my favor because they're both adept at getting into the fray on a moment's notice.

On another note, I'm all for making Ghostblade "good", but I'm a little scared because I know that Talon, Wukong, Yi, and Tryndamere will be seriously licking their chops at the thought of it getting buffed (particularly it's active).

EDIT: Btw FoN is also one of my favorite mr items for any tank (esp Garen, Shyv, Riv, Voli and Singed) because all of the stats and the passive really synergized well with them. But then again being a one-stop shop kinda item like that is probably a little over doing it.

Tetramaster

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teraxe View Post
recurve bow builds into 3 items, they are removing 2 of them.
Probably going to build into other stuff that we don't know about yet though, so -2, +x.

StrictLand

11-09-2012

Will mana burn make a return season 3 Xypherous?
I remember Wits end having it, and I'm curious if we'll ever see something like that again.
Thanks.

NotBuzzJack

11-09-2012

So if we could talk a little bit about Tiamat here, what is the new radius of the splash, and how amazing is it on Shyvana?

Ghostface Killah

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar Αang View Post
You should have scrapped spirit visage and kept FoN.

FoN was one of my favorite items actually.

Stacking crit with a Last Whisper is the only way to kill tanks and tanky dps. Without a fed ranged carry, tanks and tanky dps are unstoppable and rule the game. Removing elixer of agility is a mistake imo. The damage boost might be all the adc can afford if he is behind and the adc is the only hope for his team against those unkillable champs.
lets be honest here, my main floats at about 17-2k and even at that elo i rarely see people use elixers of agility unless they have their 3 items (ie/bt, lw, pd, and ga/qss), but even then its rare. People don't buy this elixir most of the time till they are capped. This changes nothing really lol

Danage

11-09-2012

Xypherous, Can you take a look at Quicksilver Sash?? It's great because it can remove stuns and CC (taunts, slows, etc), but it shouldn't remove suppression.

EDIT: If you want stats and other info, you can check out my thread here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2383978

Gespens

11-09-2012

Quote:
AS/Armor benefits such a small subset of characters that I'm kind of hesitant on this. A truly decent AS/Armor item might necessitate the nerfs of already existing balanced characters and bind those characters to that item.

That's my main worry - as AS/Armor/Proc doesn't open up new gameplay for these characters - it just means that they just get more powerful with the item - which is an item that directly affects balance. Unless the main focus of the item wasn't the AS/Armor part - it might be feasible to dance around the niche problem.
Perhaps making it have a sort of defense steal, but deal no damage? Applies a debuff that stacks that reduces armor by a small amount and each time you auto, you gain a buff to a cap? Maybe 15 armor?