Item Preview Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-09-2012

Am I the only one who thought they meant something akin to the DotA 'dust' - a consumable that revealed an area? >.>

Steven Mcburn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

So, I've been building ionic spark in ranked to prove that it's not UNDERPOWERED.

Even though that last 4v5 game got tight as hell, still haven't lost with a ionic spark in my inventory.

Tell me more about how bad it is :/

K1eptomaniaK

11-09-2012

Is it going to be limited to 1/2/3 per team? Like the wards in Dota2

Gardonazorph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

I loved force of nature

Burizar

11-09-2012

i loved Ionic Spark

FancifuHarlequin

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct - it's good on Volibear too. :)

Statikk Shiv's name sure sounds...lightning-y....
That's nice and good for Volibear, but- I have a question. Is it on the fourth hit? Because Twisted Fate would be a verrrrry sad panda if it didn't. On each hit is nice, but dat 4th hit burst.

Aradmir

11-09-2012

Quote:
Because it's what we refer to as a "noob trap" - an item that seems powerful and looks attractive, but actually gimps your build in almost any situation.

Under your justification, we should just release 100 new items with a random smattering of stats. Meanwhile, someone who hasn't done the math is buying these items and doesn't understand why he can't get the job done.
In Mark Rosewater's articles on designing Magic: The Gathering he talks about why the game needs bad cards.

He very specifically points out the value of "noob traps" in terms of Magic cards. They're an important teaching tool for new players so that they can learn to compare the quality of cards by having some that are strictly better than others. Then, as they get better at this, they learn to compare the quality of cards which are situationally better than others.

Of course, this is a controversial design philosophy, but I'd be interested to hear your response.

WaveofShadow

11-09-2012

Since we're discussing items, has there been a pass on any of the snowball items yet?
I guess Mejai's and even SotO have their place if you're doign REALLY well....but Leviathan has to be one of the worst items in the game.
Its scaling doesn't even make sense and if you want health you're WAY better off getting Warmog's which you don't have to worry about snowballing.

MandyMemory

11-09-2012

Quote:
Because it's what we refer to as a "noob trap" - an item that seems powerful and looks attractive, but actually gimps your build in almost any situation.

Under your justification, we should just release 100 new items with a random smattering of stats. Meanwhile, someone who hasn't done the math is buying these items and doesn't understand why he can't get the job done.
Ionic was pretty good on almost all split pushers, since it averaged 120 some damage per attack as it would always hit 4 targets.

I don't really see how it was a noob trap item and not a niche splitpush item.

Anarkand

11-09-2012

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that this is exactly how Magic works, and they've done okay for themselves as near as I can tell.

Skill enters the game in a variety of different ways. One of those ways is in me rejoicing when the enemy adc buys a bloodrazer.