Item Preview – Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatalitubby

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Because it's what we refer to as a "noob trap" - an item that seems powerful and looks attractive, but actually gimps your build in almost any situation.

Under your justification, we should just release 100 new items with a random smattering of stats. Meanwhile, someone who hasn't done the math is buying these items and doesn't understand why he can't get the job done.
You're removing an item because noobs don't know how to use it? Well, then. You may as well just remove all items and replace them with fisher price toys. Ionic Spark worked really well for some builds, and could sometimes be used as one of a couple core items. You're essentially ruining the game for people who actually know how to play the game by trying to compensate for stupid people. If they don't know how to build, they will learn. That's how learning how to play a game works. If you make mistakes, you learn from them, whether it be from person observation, or an outside source. Removal of a lot of these items is idiotic. If you're going to try to compensate for people not knowing how to play the game, the removal and replacement of items will be endless, and you'll just end up pissing off more people.

EspeonageTieler

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
On MBR - If you were getting it hoping to counter tanky bruisers - you were doing it wrong. Almost every item combination involving PD / BT / IE would let you deal more damage to high health bruisers.

Why is that? Mostly because Carries aren't expected to have a linear damage curve whereas MBR is a linear effect. Secondly, the primary statistic for determining whether you were tanky or not was resistances not health. The difference between a carry's health and a tanky bruiser's health ranges less than 50% porportionally a lot of the time - thus attacking % health doesn't really help out all that much.

Ionic Spark

Ionic Spark was a niche item made odd by the fact that much better options exist and it seems to fill an odd triple-niche: Survivability, On-hit, Wave clear. Who is this item supposed to be good on? It requires a very specific sub-set of characters (Tanky characters with zero wave clear that scales off attack speed) in order to be good - at which point it really starts to conflict with Wit's End for the same case.

Ionic Spark turns out to be a trap for most characters if you ever picked it up. It requires you to be ahead to be effective as the effect is highly conditional (every 4 hits.) It requires you to pick it up early as there's no scaling effect on the item (fixed magic damage). It requires you to be a specific sub-set of characters in order to be good in the first place.

A niche item with a huge set of conditionals, both champion-specific *and* context specific is an item that will never sit in a good place for very long as the thing that'll make it viable is most likely an abuse case that'll have to be nerfed in the future which makes all the other problems worse.
so why not buff ionic spark?

Alamo90

11-09-2012

So the Ward Solution is to have a must buy item that constantly produces wards, that most champions will probably end up getting. I'm fine with this solution, but at this point I have to wonder why wards aren't just made into a summoner spell like Recall that everyone has. It could keep the same stocking up at the fountain mechanic and such if you want, and it would effectively just give every player an extra item slot and 125 less health each game compared to the Sightstone as stated.

ratcharmer

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadřwyn View Post
i will miss HoG
I really hope they're offering something to replace it . . . that was one of the few items that was actually useful for a support. Some supports really needed that extra hp to survive.

Last I heard we were supposed to be getting more itemization options, not less . . .

Lord Pudding Cup

11-09-2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRING BACK MY IONIC SPARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the only item with an awesome effect and did aoe damage for non aoe champs that was sick ****... hell if ure gonna do that give tiamat the kayle splash effect or something ... but no damn it i want my awesome spark back....

Fiddlebro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Can you please not remove ionic spark from the game? Can't you just tweak it a bit or something? It's my favorite item in the entire game. I love building it on volibear, sometimes I build it on kennen just for fun, so much lightning. I love the effect and the sound it makes.

Aacron

11-09-2012

Quote:
Correct - it's good on Volibear too.

Statikk Shiv's name sure sounds...lightning-y....
it was a very solid item on olaf.. giving him literally everything he needed midgame

KiIIerGecko

11-09-2012

Quote:
Correct - it's good on Volibear too.

Statikk Shiv's name sure sounds...lightning-y....
Ya, I enjoyed ionic spark on volibear. Volibear scales off of 2 things. Attack Speed, and Health. The fact that Ionic Spark also has a lightning effect was just icing on the cake.

Ionic Spark was good on Shen, Kayle, Volibear...Maybe GP and Olaf...I can see why see it was removed. Sad to see it go, but I hope the new item is just as awesom

Burn Hazard

11-09-2012

@Morello and Xyph

You keep saying that Ionic Spark is a "Noob Trap", and that the player should be building wit's end instead- Why? When you have high elo players building BOTH on champions who's damage output scales more with attack speed than AD (of which there are several). I implore you to reconsider- it is after all something that you removed sword of the divine in favor of.

Lysandren

11-09-2012

@Xypherous Don't you think that the ad carry will also pick up a sightstone instead of a dorans or whatnot as the gold price is so low and if both the support and adc have one they can ward both entrances to bot lane and both lane brushes. In addition mid laners can simply ward both sides of the river for free.... I'm not sure that the sightstone will have its intended effect. Instead of reducing the gold burden on supports you are going to force they to constantly buy pink wards to kill the enemy supports wards, or buy an oracles and try not to die with it.

The best ganking junglers in this scenario would be those that can gank down lane with speed (hecarim rammus) or those who can gank globally (karthus/noc). Junglers like Udyr/shyv/mundo etc will simply be forced to farm and camp top more as that's the only lane that wont be able to ward all the lane entrances with this 1 item.

A better solution would be to make the item have an icd of 3 minutes per drop so supports have to buy wards but fewer, and not make it a unique active. This way a support could just buy 4 of them but then they would have no item slots left after boots shurelias, and thus it would defeat the purpose of having saved all that gold in the first place.