Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Item Preview – Dust Sweeping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS11d6327cb35cafc124891

11-09-2012

Can anyone explain me how blade king is supposed to be a better option than madred ?

mathematically 4%current health is equivalent to 2%max health.

so
4% vs 2%
40% AS vs 0%
25armor vs sustain.

while i think the sustain is better than the 25armor, all the others stats are heavily nerfed. and even for 1000gold cheaper, no-one is gonna buy ruined blade king. That is my prediction. no point to buy a on-hit item with 1.0attack speed, poor warwick and teemo. also the blade is totally useless on ranged since the active range is so short, so kog maw madred is definitivly dead.

I totally don't understand why you say on-hit will be viable while you nerf into the ground on-hit item.

on-hit item was the only counter to thornmail.

So, it sound so obvious that thornmail will be an instabuy item for everyone in s3 since there will be no counter.

Vencu

11-09-2012

Quote:
Kraemer:
You're smarter than that negative nancy who wants Sightstone to remain unimplemented/gold per 5 removed.

that's because i don't like to make full judgements on lack of information, I judge on what i can (ie it's a good laning item but outside of lane it becomes sort of a hindrance) but with the knowledge that it upgrades i'm curious and hopeful it will be useful

Fox P McCloud

11-09-2012

Quote:
3rdMarquis:
@Xypherous- Can we get Blade of the Ruined King to do Max HP instead of Current? Up the price to 3k total or something

The only thing I can think of is why it's current HP instead of max (I agree with you for the record on it being max) is to prevent it from outclassing blood-thirster---end game, if it was max health, Blade would result in minimal DPS loss over a fully stacked thirster, while giving you a huge burst of survivability and super kiting via the active.

Of course, Xyph has yet to talk about IE, PD, and BT yet (or other relevant ADC items), so we really don't know what ADCs itemization path is going to end up being---crit chance and damage hugely impact the items you end up buying (ie: if crit chance wasn't stackable, it would drastically alter ADC item builds).

I'm personally hoping for an illusion item, but I'm not going to hold my breath (ie: make duplicates of yourself that do a % of your damage and take % extra damage...like Shaco's clone).

Surakai

11-09-2012

when i first read about the sightstone, I could only think about top lane and how this could be too strong, that is, depending on what it builds into. Now that I am thinking about supports, it makes a whole lot more sense. I already feel like being a support won't be nearly as annoying as it used to be. 650g is less than a gp/10 item and you'll already have enough wards to keep your lane safe instead of feeling like you are desperate for gold all of early game, trying to build philo stone and HoG as fast as possible, which isn't very fast at all.

KevinDelMarr

11-09-2012

Quote:
Wyl:
Kindlegem + Warden's Mail + Cloth Armor. Here you go.

So Randuin's CDR is getting buffed? (5% to 10%)

I'm interested in seeing a Randuin/Spirit Visage2.0 combo on Mundo. Armor, health, MR, CDR, Healing buff, all in two items

Felaedor

11-09-2012

Quote:
Eruka Frog:
holy moly someone else knows what the problem is. a rare find.

crit scaling makes it so there's no other build paths for your ranged AD carry. you MUST stack crit or the enemy will and proceed to obliterate you.

it's the most grievous limitation in the game but everyone ignores it

Eh...it's the combination of AS, AD, and Crit, especially after CritDamage increases, but if you just want to call it crit, that's fine too.

Fallenour

11-09-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
Hey guys. Continuing from my initial discussion of preseason itemization changes, which you can read here, I wanted to talk about new alternatives to items that are getting removed as part of the overall rework.

As you know we have a lot of old items that exist in a weird twilight space between useful and confusing, and it’s traditionally been very hard to find a place for these items to exist and be satisfying to use in the current environment. In a lot of cases, we’ve decide to remove items that were either identified as having pretty negative consequences for the game or warped freedom of itemization around themselves. While making these items better or more satisfying to use might have been an option, if the core purpose of the item seemed flawed it was targeted for removal.

I’ll walk through some of the more sweeping changes and try to explain our thoughts behind them as well as what replacements achieve a similar functionality.

Meki Pendant & Rejuvenation Bead – Removed

These items have been removed because they were mostly superfluous item paths that constrained early game purchases and mid-game upgrades. Everything that builds out of Meki Pendant and Rejuvenation Bead has been modified to build out of Regrowth Pendant and Faerie Charm.

Alternative: Regrowth Pendant and Faerie Charm

These items will sit at a much smaller price-point but build into many more items overall, allowing players to have much greater flexibility when building items out of regeneration items.

Madred’s Bloodrazor - Removed

Madred’s Bloodrazor has traditionally been a weak pick overall. On the surface, it appears to counter high health targets. However, its odd build path and the fact that it does magical damage make the Bloodrazor awkward in many situations. It doesn’t do as much damage as other alternatives to high hit point targets, nor is the build path something lenient enough to let you quickly build it to counter high health targets. As a jungle control item it is surpassed by Wriggle’s Lantern in many ways, especially for sustains, invades and jungle vision.

Alternative: Blade of the Ruined King

This item first debuted in Twisted Treeline, and was meant to be the ‘high health counter’ for ranged attackers. Against moderate DPS / high health targets, Blade of the Ruined King attacks these characters where it hurts the most – the fact that their DPS is consistent over time. By draining a percentage of their current health on every strike, Blade of the Ruined King seeks to burn down high health targets by both outlasting and kiting them.

Blade of the Ruined King also works well for on-hit ranged attackers, providing them a form of combat sustain that is independent of the amount of damage done by their main attack. On-hit Teemo or On-hit Kog’maws have traditionally fared poorly in being able to output sustained damage in a fight because life steal was so anti-synergistic with their builds. Blade of the Ruined King not only fits the % damage profile that Madred’s Bloodrazor once occupied but also supplies life steal for these character builds.

Force of Nature - Removed

Force of Nature has been the go-to high MR item for tanks who want to counter magic damage. The item, however, is kind of confusing. Is it a movement speed option for fighters and tanks? Or is it meant to be a regeneration item in sieges? Force of Nature’s odd stat combination made it particularly difficult to make it feel like a quality purchase. One of its attributes was probably redundant or unnecessary on your character.

Alternative: Spirit Visage

Spirit Visage is getting a slight touch up for the preseason. It will now build out of Negatron Cloak instead of Null Magic Mantle, and Spirit Visage’s passive is getting a bump in power. Additionally, there are a lot more Tier 2.5 items that offer Magic Resistance, allowing you to more easily spec into Magic Resistance without wasting slot efficiency.

Ionic Spark – Removed

Ionic Spark is a bit of a confusing item right now. Ionic Spark only fully synergizes with one or two champions (Shen, Gangplank), but it’s good to have an effective wave clearing option for characters that lack an innate ability to quickly deal with waves of minions. For a proc-build, Ionic Spark is awkward because it grants a very inconsistent proc that does some damage but is inferior to Wit’s End in a lot of cases.

Alternative: Statikk Shiv, Tiamat, Wit’s End

Tiamat has been vastly upgraded as a passive wave clearing item, while Wit’s End has always been the traditionally stronger option for Attack Speed / On-hit builds.

Elixir of Agility – Removed

Right now Elixir of Agility serves a single purpose in the game – to make the winning hyper-carry exponentially more powerful than the losing one. This has some general negative effects: Due to the multiplicative factor of attack speed and critical strike, the raw DPS increase is always better for the winner than the loser in this case. It also strongly pigeonholes viable end-game carry builds to take advantage of critical strike, as it is the cheapest and most powerful form of DPS boost.

Alternative: None

We don’t want an item in the game whose sole purpose is to pigeonhole end-game carry builds and provide exponential damage increase to a single class. While there should be purchasable buffs that help close out the game, a 250 Gold item that typically only benefits a single player on the winning team seemed a bit superfluous.

Heart of Gold – Removed

Heart of Gold is a deeply conflicted item. Gold over Time items are designed to be a tradeoff of early game power versus reliable scaling further on in the game. However, Heart of Gold is a Health item, a statistic that is primarily dominant early game rather than late game. It helps create a lot to passivity, but worst of all it contributes to passive snowballing. While the intent of the item was to help out gold-starved characters that were traditionally weak, there are much better ways to solve this than an item that also makes their direct competitors stronger.

Alternative: The other Gold per 10 items

We don’t want to see an item in the game that lets you passively win your lane and close off options for your opponent. The other 3 Gold per 10 items have all been upgraded with either much more flexible build paths in terms of what they can build into or additional ways to generate real and imagined incomes. From Gold per 10 upgrades that let you keep the Gold per 10 when fully upgraded to alternate gold gain passives, the other 3 Gold per 10 items have become much more flexible in their final builds.

-Xypherous

Your absolutely wrong here with heart of gold. I used it to allow my weaker, softer support champs to be MORE aggressive, not LESS.

now that this is gone, unless you can give me something to counter compensate, Ill have to adjust my entire play schema for lvl 4 up to lvl 12.

chumbler

11-09-2012

Quote:
Eruka Frog:
holy moly someone else knows what the problem is. a rare find.

crit scaling makes it so there's no other build paths for your ranged AD carry. you MUST stack crit or the enemy will and proceed to obliterate you.

it's the most grievous limitation in the game but everyone ignores it

That's not why it's a problem. It's an inherently impossible to balance mechanic and is responsible for physical defensive scaling going out of control (rendering AD casters useless) and funneling all money in a duo lane to one character, and that being far and away the best option for a duo lane (causing the 0 cs support meta).

Despite the signs being blatantly obvious, Riot refuses to see them, presumably out of fear that people will whine about BIG NUMBERS disappearing.

Vencu

11-09-2012

Quote:
Asuramaki:
when i first read about the sightstone, I could only think about top lane and how this could be too strong, that is, depending on what it builds into. Now that I am thinking about supports, it makes a whole lot more sense. I already feel like being a support won't be nearly as annoying as it used to be. 650g is less than a gp/10 item and you'll already have enough wards to keep your lane safe instead of feeling like you are desperate for gold all of early game, trying to build philo stone and HoG as fast as possible, which isn't very fast at all.

this exactly, it's an amazing laning item for supports

gives health, costs less then GP10's, and provides 300g worth of wards each back.

The upgrade path will be interesting to see

ry2k00

11-09-2012

Quote:
xypherous:
just going to leave this here.. Sneakily.. :3

sightstone (650 gold)
+125 health
unique passive - refresh (ward) : Starts with 4 charges and refills each time you stop by your shop.
Unique active - ghost ward: Consumes a charge to place an invisible ward that reveals the surrounding area for 3 minutes. You may have a maximum of 2 wards from this item at once.

Upgrades to...

*is dragged away by internal riot teams*

nooo!! Come back!! What about wriggler's!!