Item Preview – Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LittleDi

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Alternative: The other Gold per 10 items

We don’t want to see an item in the game that lets you passively win your lane and close off options for your opponent. The other 3 Gold per 10 items have all been upgraded with either much more flexible build paths in terms of what they can build into or additional ways to generate real and imagined incomes. From Gold per 10 upgrades that let you keep the Gold per 10 when fully upgraded to alternate gold gain passives, the other 3 Gold per 10 items have become much more flexible in their final builds.

-Xypherous
Query: Does this mean youmuu's is becoming a gp10? If yes does it share it's gp10 status with avarice?

Same for Kage's lucky pick and Philosopher's Stone items in questioning.

Soa Teh Ent

11-10-2012

Without my Ionic spark, how will I ever jungle with TF again? D: Thanks Riot.. =/

xStarburstsx

11-10-2012

Quote:
Yeah, Phantom Dancer has had its' statistics extensively readjusted. It lost a *lot* of movement speed and a little bit of attack speed. It's also slightly cheaper and thus less slot-efficient.

It's been known for a while that Phantom Dancer was just too good but nerfing it would've caused a drastic effect on AD carry mobility / balance for a while. We've shifted some statistics around into other items that AD carries can easily fit into their builds and now PD doesn't have to be the king of both AS, Crit and MS.

On the plus side, it now has Ignore Unit Collision on it though. How useful that passive is, I'm not sure - but it is something that people have been asking for quite a while on their carries.

Not a dumb question at all. It's actually a tricky answer.

Ionic Spark is bad because it has a large set of conditions attached to it, some of which you can't control (whether you are doing well in the game or not, whether or not you can get 4 attacks in or not.)

However, if you fulfilled these conditions, the effect is worth the cost. Shen, for example, can force a situation where Ionic Spark is good for him... most of the time.

However, the problem in raw numerical buffs to an item is that it isn't the effect or the net result that is bad - it's that the conditionals are too harsh. For Ionic Spark specifically - Health is an odd conditional statistic that is great early game and terrible late game. The grouping and 4-hit conditional are really hard to resolve in most cases without the item simply tipping from conditionally good to always overpowered.

You also run into the problem where buffing an item so that more champions can use it well necessitates nerfs to the champion that uses it best. Let's say we buffed Ionic Spark so that everyone else can use it better. Where does this leave Shen, if he's balanced? Shen can buy other items and be good, so he's not completely reliant on Ionic Spark but he can use Ionic Spark awfully well (and in a balanced way.) However, raw buffing Ionic Spark in this context makes Shen a monster - which then necessitates Shen nerfs - which pretty much locks Shen to only buying Ionic Spark to stay relevant - which is kind of a terrible thing.
Sorry for a delayed response on this post but. If everyone has the possibility to have no unit collision then J4's ult needs to be looked at because anyone with this item will just walk through his ult which will be very frustrating to any J4 players.

Kraemer

11-10-2012

Quote:

I tried really hard to make one - but it kept fighting with Manamune for dominance.

So instead I just tried to focus on making Manamune better.
Manamune, the Item that if you ever built, you could physically hear the entire gaming population of south Korea laugh at your misfortune. That Manamune? What praytell did you do to make it not a mockery of every player over summoner level 10?

Aacey

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyBACON View Post
Is there any chance that you would consider changing thornemail so its return damage doesn't scale off the attacker's damage but how much armor you have? And while were granting my wishes, can it please be built out of chainmail and negatron cloak and return damage to attack damage to both magic and attack damage scaling off your resistances?
@Xypherous

Ignore this at your leisure

i had a similar idea but i feel like a but i feel like an actual thornmail for mages would be unfair to the mage due to their burstly nature.

so i came up with the idea that have an item that increased your MR for a few seconds based on how much magic damage you take (X% of mdmg becomes Y MR, or X amount of mdmg, or Xmdmg spells you are hit with). this would be less unfair to the mage as it lets him get his combo off b4 you have the massive amounts of mr but for shorter cd mages and other sources of mdmg, it provides safety from. just a thought and hoping to give you ideas.

InfiniteVoid316

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-10-2012

Just wondering here, Xyph, whether you even know about the idea to remove the CDR cap and implement diminishing returns on CDR such that its effectiveness scales linearly. The new system would work something like this:

Introduce a new stat that is similar to armor, but instead of reducing damage you take, reduces the cooldowns on your spells. In the tooltip, it can say that the stat increases the amount of spells you cast by the percentage of the value of the stat. It can literally function with the same exact formula as armor reduction and work linearly in terms of DPS increase from spell casting. For example, having 100 of the new CDR stat would increase your spellcasts by 100%, which is effectively 50% CDR, which is what you get if you plug 100 into the armor reduction formula.

I say this because you mentioned earlier that you had to be careful in putting CDR on items because of the CDR cap. In this new system, CDR would be able to be more widespread on items, and then having weird percentages on runes and masteries would not lead to wasted CDR. Currently, CDR runes are somewhat useless because the way CDR scales, any amount of CDR you have makes any CDR you get in the future more effective. I know you understand the math behind this because I saw you post about what would happen if percentage armor penetration/reduction stacked additively rather than multiplicatively, and the way you described it is EXACTLY what happens with CDR. It may be too late, but while you are doing a massive overhaul of the item system, why not implement this rework to the CDR system such that it is more standardized and balancable? Of course the values of CDR given on every item would have to be changed, but it would definitely be possible to do and keep the game balanced.

Dremiist

11-10-2012

Tiamat has been vastly upgraded as a passive wave clearing item

can you give us an idea on the new stats?

Aacey

11-10-2012

Quote:
If people really want it in Dominion, maybe? It'd be up to Nome in the end I think.

This definitely came up more than once during development - but we essentially weighed how evil pigeonholing supports into this item versus pigeonholing them into buying a stack of wards and decided that Sightstone was the lesser of the two evils.

I suspect that an aggressive counter-jungler might actually get huge mileage out of the item - but I can't be sure. In short, it's probably likely that your support gets forced into buying this 100% of the time - but at least it's an item - rather than a stack of wards.

I tried really hard to make one - but it kept fighting with Manamune for dominance.

So instead I just tried to focus on making Manamune better.
i think my question falls more into the UI but will there be an option to set our own recomended items to save navigation time in the shop?

Worldmaster66

11-10-2012

I'd like to ask, if madred's was a trap, does that mean kog's W is effectively useless too?

serratedblade

11-10-2012

So, are you guys ever going to make ON-hit/ AS build viable in season three. you said you would because its an alternative way of build constant magic dmg from Auto ATtacks