Item Preview – Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Titan Tactics

11-10-2012

Xypherous on the topic of Shoe Variety, should LoL not offer more variety to each class?
Reasoning is there are 2 boot types for extra speed, 2 boot types for extra defense, 1 for cdr, 1 for ap, 1 for ad

Example : If you want any type of damage increase for AD you have to go with Attack speed boots.
Example : If you want any type of magical damage increase for AP you have to go Magic Pen boots.

Should LoL not offer two types to these for each route?

Example : Movement Speed 2, Increase Auto-Attack Range by 25.
Example : Movement Speed 2, 25% less casting time of abilities.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Not quite.

Heart of Gold wouldn't be that bad if it was a Support only item. It provides decent health and GP/10 for them in a very vicious lane.

However, Heart of Gold warps the laning phase in a pretty toxic way because it provides ubiquitous gold gain and health. By giving you raw gold generation and also making you harder to burst - it lets you incur advantage by taking zero action and also discourages action from the opponent due to how much harder it is.

This echoes both in bot lane, top lane and jungle. Since inactivity is pushing you ahead, you actually want to starve and stall for as long as possible. You don't actually want anything to happen since inaction will put you farther and farther ahead.
Don't you think that some of what you're saying about heart of gold can also be applied to philospher's stone? It does sort of increase passivity in lane, doesn't it?

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Xyph, since my mentioned Lich Bane, in passing, are there any changes to this? Different build path? No more MS? Magic damage instead of physical?

Love this item, but nerfing it could have a huge impact on TF (who, sadly, is the only champion this item is core on).

Néphistalia

11-10-2012

I see what you try to do, I mean removing trap item to help noob which are unable to do correct math (something every player SHOULD do because playing a game is not just being dumb behind your computer). When you play MMORPG in arene (WoW as example) you have to know what item take and what's the best for your class... so I don't understand why you say you don't want people to have to think about their build lol

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-10-2012
48 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Don't you think that some of what you're saying about heart of gold can also be applied to philospher's stone? It does sort of increase passivity in lane, doesn't it?
Definitely. There's two major things that fight this on Philosopher's stone though.

1. Regeneration can be countered by burst. You are basically fragile if you chose to go the Philosopher's stone route - and so you encourage the opponent to aggressively make plays on you.

2. Mana Regeneration is good when you spend it. You have more resources to harass so Philosopher's stone also encourages you to make use of it by giving you lots of mana to cast spells with. Most of our spells are inherently aggressive actions so the item kind of pulls you into it, otherwise, you're wasting a lot of stats.

Quote:
I see what you try to do, I mean removing trap item to help noob which are unable to do correct math (something every player SHOULD do because playing a game is not just being dumb behind your computer). When you play MMORPG in arene (WoW as example) you have to know what item take and what's the best for your class... so I don't understand why you say you don't want people to have to think about their build lol
If we wanted to make Math Wars, we'd make Math Wars. It would be epic. INTEGRATE THIS CALCULATION TO DEAL MASSIVE DAMAGE.

However, we want to test other skills than how much reading you've done on the math that someone else did for you. We want to test how well you can fight your opponent - not how many math calculation guides you've read beforehand.

Izzabelle

11-10-2012

Quote:
This definitely came up more than once during development - but we essentially weighed how evil pigeonholing supports into this item versus pigeonholing them into buying a stack of wards and decided that Sightstone was the lesser of the two evils.

I suspect that an aggressive counter-jungler might actually get huge mileage out of the item - but I can't be sure. In short, it's probably likely that your support gets forced into buying this 100% of the time - but at least it's an item - rather than a stack of wards.
Are there any alternatives to this item that I as a support would want to build?

For example; this is a great health + ward item.
But what if health is a non-issue for my champ/lane/game
Instead of building this, is there another ward item that offers another beneficial stat other than health, with a different build path? Like a mana regen + ward item? or a CDR + ward item?

ImYurpian

11-10-2012

Im kind of worried about the changes you are making. It seems like you are making items weaker and introducing items that dont seem as strong as the ones they are competing with or the ones they seem to be replacing.

If you keep doing this, it might make it harder to "snowball" since the strength you gain from gold will be less, so this might be the reason you are doing it. On the other hand it puts more value on the strength champions get from their kit and it will be harder to balance the champions. For instance sona has been a problem for you guys, you have nerfed her health, resistances, heal and her damage. The real problem is in her kit, especially the AOE stun ult. Cant nerf that without making the champion unplayably bad on other fronts. For other champions it might be a jump, steroid, etc.

I honestly dont like the way you keep nerfing items and champions because they are too strong, then something else is too strong and you nerf that, etc. How about buffing things that are too weak in stead of dragging everything else down to that level. You have been nerfing tank items for a while now, now you complain that ad carries are too strong and it seems you are nerfing the damage from PD this time. Oh how i'd love to be 2010 udyr in a game today :P

Opreich

11-10-2012

Quote:

2. Mana Regeneration is good when you spend it. You have more resources to harass so Philosopher's stone also encourages you to make use of it by giving you lots of mana to cast spells with. Most of our spells are inherently aggressive actions so the item kind of pulls you into it, otherwise, you're wasting a lot of stats.
Suddenly a Soraka.

Oberic

11-10-2012

Ionic Spark is my second favorite item, Nashor's Tooth being #1.
My other two favorite items were Innervating Locket (pre-buff version), and SotD.

Am I doomed to lose my lovely items forever? Why Riot? Why do you defy my love?

I have only one item left to me once this patch happens.
Will I lose Hexdrinker and Chalice of Harmony next?

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-10-2012
49 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Are there any alternatives to this item that I as a support would want to build?

For example; this is a great health + ward item.
But what if health is a non-issue for my champ/lane/game
Instead of building this, is there another ward item that offers another beneficial stat other than health, with a different build path? Like a mana regen + ward item? or a CDR + ward item?
In the current environment - health would override all other statistics in terms of what you would want, due to the nature of bottom lane.

While the items you've described would be cool - first I'd want to make sure Sightstone takes the game in a direction that we like first and then branch out from there.