Statikk Discusses Preseason Jungle Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Derivator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Hi Statikk! Do you think Shyvana will stay competitive in the new jungle? Her main strength was her clear time, but that's probably going to change. She does scale fairly well with items tough, so I'm not sure what to think.

A Giant Boulder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Well jungle pressure is a double-edged sword.

Sure junglers can create action by ganking, but overbearing gank presence in and of itself causes lane passivity. Why would you ever risk harassing or going for a kill on your lane opponent if you know their jungler is just going to pop out and take you down?
This pretty much sums up why I'm excited. Sometimes top lanes you feel like you can't harass or attempt to deny the enemy at all without a lee sin with red buff popping out and dominating you. You can't just start with wards all the time either. I'm also hoping the general low hp of early gankers may result in more cases of outplaying the enemy and possibly earning kills off the jungler.

If I could ask another question about Fiddlesticks though, from what I've read here, don't the changes seem to simply imply that the jungle is getting stronger, and his "buffs" are more of a result of other junglers becoming weaker, and his strength coming from his ability to stay at a high hp? I can't really comment about it until I see it on live, but I'm hoping that my favorite champion becomes more of a viable jungler now. I miss the good old days of clearing to level 5 and then taking dragon solo all within 5 minutes.

BadgerDrool

11-09-2012

Quote:
You'd be surprised because Karthus does an insanely high amount of single target damage once he isolates the big monster (after the small ones die to the AoE).

He also benefits heavily from the addition of a few new jungle items that are aimed towards AP.
....how's Jungle Karma?

Gentoon

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivator View Post
Hi Statikk! Do you think Shyvana will stay competitive in the new jungle? Her main strength was her clear time, but that's probably going to change. She does scale fairly well with items tough, so I'm not sure what to think.
shyvana will be better. E is actually fantastic for single targets.

DragonsEyeG

11-09-2012

wow riot you really suck at this.. not leashing, no ganking till later, no point.. just have two top instead, will get more out of it. You suck at this "balancing" thing.. Keep things as they are and stop changing things.

Olek Skilgannon

11-09-2012

Glad to see leashing is over and done with.

CBL HisMajesty

11-09-2012

Quote:
Well jungle pressure is a double-edged sword.

Sure junglers can create action by ganking, but overbearing gank presence in and of itself causes lane passivity. Why would you ever risk harassing or going for a kill on your lane opponent if you know their jungler is just going to pop out and take you down?
I thought that we learned last season that passivity isn't due to jungle pressure, but farming creeps more cost effective then killing champs.

Not even counting how near improbable it is seeing top tier players dying 1vs1 in lane, I could easily see this leading back to the first 20min farm-fests of old.

Boyahda

11-09-2012

How does this affect newer players looking to try jungling? It's brutal enough without runes and masteries, seems like we're heading back to the season 1 jungle.

solidfake

11-09-2012

Quote:
Definitely keeping my eye on several cases like Nautilus. Because his utility and ganks are top of the line, his clears should certainly still be somewhat painful compared to junglers who don't bring those strengths.

We'll be taking a look at junglers across the board and making champion specific changes where necessary. Slightly buffing up the early game of tank junglers such as Rammus and Nautilus (who were in some ways overnerfed due to the current jungle meta) is certainly not out of the question.
Could you please remove Renektons fury decay?
It stops him from being a viable jungler, because his strength shifts so heavily between ganks and walking between camps.
It also makes no real sense whatsoever that Rengar can keep his fury all the time and Renekton can't.

ungfh

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManInc View Post
Would Nasus work / be viable in the current jungle?
The last time he was changed, it was give folks an option to jungle with them, since he was so massively outclassed in top lane.
I think the constant threat of being ganked is part of the reason Nasus is outclassed in top lane. Nasus wants to AFK farm for 30 mins then hypercarry his team to victory. His Wither makes him safe in a 1v1 situation because if things are looking dicey he can just disengage. Since it's only single target, he's a sitting duck for ganking junglers, and if an early gank is successful, most of the current popular top picks will just snowball and steamroll over him. Less threat of an early gank means a safer and more rewarding laning phase for Nasus. I think the changes to the jungle will make him more competetive and safe in top.