Statikk Discusses Preseason Jungle Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holycleave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

The machete item sounds like a poor level 1 investment. What is to stop champions from invading early and taking advantage of the fact that junglers are both lower health and lack an item that gives any offensive or defensive stats? I can understand that the goal is to give a trade off when going boots +3pots and early ganking so you can't jungle as fast or are hurt more, but this seems like it will just push out the junglers that lack sustain (shyvana for example) and force junglers to be even stronger level 1 champions in the pro scene. There's no reason to take an item scaling champion into a pro game when he'll probably require the machete and will be even weaker than he is in the current jungle.

On a different note, will monsters grant higher experience at first clear to make up for the obviously slower jungling clears that will result from higher health and higher damaging monsters?

Delnoir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Something that comes to my mind is that now lanes seriously need to keep in mind that we get a lot of XP and gold from the jungle and that means they can't just go around taking it like they do now, especially if the jungler falls behind in a failed gank.

Aacey

11-09-2012

on a side note i feel like the only reason sejuani has not gotten a rework isn't cause she does not need one but more because you guys can not figure out what do do with her that would not make her OP or worse.

but back on topic i was wondering will sion be more viable of a jungle choice?
right now hes not bad but his jungle sustain is terribly item dependend and sliw until lvl 4.

Bad Luck Braum

11-09-2012

yay warwic k

Zeikxx

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
To be completely honest with you, I don't think Volibear is a good jungler both on Live and in the new one currently in iteration. He feels currently much better suited for Top Lane.

Unlike other champions where I feel there are small tweaks we can make to ensure they are viable in the new jungle, Volibear feels fairly off and would need some significant changes (both buffs and nerfs) to switch him more into a jungle role.
Volibear isn't viable for top lane

he's best place is as support bot

Scrulox

11-09-2012

From what I read from the op, I will be liking the jungle changes a lot. It makes clearing the jungle worth it, and it puts less pressure on junglers to gank. Although I do have one question for Statikk, what are the variety of jungler starter items we will be having after the changes? What are their different purposes for making more champions viable in the jungle? I'm sure a lot of junglers including me are super curious about the new items, so please tell us more about them.

Sherrif

Recruiter

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verliswolf View Post
This makes me incredibly happy to hear! I hate how passive players get rewarded and agressive players get punished. if you play strong and push, you put yourself at a disadvantage for playing better. Why try when all you have to do is turtle the tower and receive kills/assists from the jungle?
I don't understand your definition of playing better. Not to say "U bad, lol u mad?" but more of what I'm saying is... Since the proper way to play (meta) is to be cautious of junglers, not push your lane past the river, and only last hitting minions. Harrasing your opponent if he gets too aggressive and set him up to get ganked by your jungler.

What you seem to be saying is that pushing the lane into their turret, and poking him till you're out of mana or HP, and only backing off when you're getting ganked is playing better than your opponent. Can you please redescribe what you mean?

MrHedge64

11-09-2012

I fail to see how this will increase the amount of junglers. Spreading out the HP will make aoe junglers even stronger, and no leashing prevents frailer or slower junglers from being worthwhile.

Looks like supportank jungle is the only viable jungle in League of Exactly The Same Team Comp Every Single Game.

YerAs5

11-09-2012

this will make champions like renekton very weak in the jungle.

EnderForHegemon

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Well jungle pressure is a double-edged sword.

Sure junglers can create action by ganking, but overbearing gank presence in and of itself causes lane passivity. Why would you ever risk harassing or going for a kill on your lane opponent if you know their jungler is just going to pop out and take you down?
So this patch is a buff to Voyboy.