Statikk Discusses Preseason Jungle Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

esNadie

11-11-2012

I dont know what ure gonna do, but pls dont screw it like in the new 3vs3. I dont say the map is bad, but in i think that the last one was beter and u created a new gamemode, so, why did u deleted the last one? i think that if ure gonna change all the map, i shoud, at least, give us the chanse to vote
PDT:Im sorry if my english is bad, im from argentina

Talamare

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Talon were intended and designed to have roles elsewhere in the game. This is why for example Talon's Q bleed does not work on jungle monsters.
Really?

Pray tell, What role is that?

I haven't seen Talon being played in the last 4 months, and even then it was only in Dominion games

He seems to do fairly mediocre in top, mid, bot and jungle

HagenEx

11-11-2012

Quote:
Hunter's Machete's % damage increase affects all physical and magic damage done to monsters, so yes it includes most spells (unless they deal true damage).

The Spirit Stone itself provides Mana Regen and the upgrade focused more towards casters provides even more Mana Regen if you are looking for more of it.

I agree that Skarner's jungle clears may be a bit too mana hungry along with other champions such as Hecarim. If we need to reduce early mana costs for these champions to keep them viable, then we'll do it.
Awesome then, I might switch permanently to jungler now Thanks for the reply, that clarified the couple issues I had with Skarner's viability. Can't wait to try the new jungle, keep up the good work.

HagenEx

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
Really?

Pray tell, What role is that?

I haven't seen Talon being played in the last 4 months, and even then it was only in Dominion games

He seems to do fairly mediocre in top, mid, bot and jungle
He gets bullied by some top champs, but he absolutely devastates mid and can beat almost any AP mid in the game, there are a couple exceptions though. I don't think Talon is a mediocre champion.

Kelvsir

11-11-2012

Hey Statikk, I'll be honest, I'll be surprised if you manage to get around to my reply (I'm sure you are busy as it is). You likely feel like at this point you would be better off making a spreadsheet of where every character that is typically jungled is in terms of how good they are in all categories. My main question pertains to Kha'Zix, I've recently taken a liking to him and I feel he has great potential and am wondering how he is doing in the new jungle at the moment? He seems to have no real place in lane in the current meta (top and mid lane can be painful sometimes depending on the match up) and I typically don't run kill lanes bot. So that leaves jungling for him. How has he been doing?

For what it is worth also, appreciate what you guys are doing to the jungle or at least your intentions. I went from jungling 4-5 champs in Season 1 up to around 30 or so in Season 2, I enjoy the variety, but I also feel like I shouldn't be capable of jungling champions such as Orianna, or Sona (before her most recent nerf). I've taken on jungling somewhat as my "main role" and I find I enjoy it much more than laning typically.

Also something I was curious about, have you considered putting the jungle buffs in the shop in the form of potions similar to how you put blue buff there for Twisted Treeline? I typically have no problem giving blue away after the first kill on most mana junglers. But on many melee oriented junglers I have difficulty when I am asked to give away red (It feels like it is becoming earlier and earlier) I feel like the experience loss ends up hurting me as well as my ganking potency. I understand you are attempting to reduce the amount that nonjunglers are taking camps by changing aoe on them(Or at least that is my basic understanding). Has this idea been tossed around?

Thanks again for all your work for us. Eager to see how the Season 3 changes play out.

Makkuroi

11-11-2012

I like how noone can say they don't like the changes without getting downvoted lol...
While I don't mind the other changes, I honestly feel negative on the abolishment of leashing and I know i'm not alone. When I jungle, a good leash determines whether I'm able to gank on the first run or not. I see these are to change things up in the meta but I think it was a bad decision.
On another note, since AoE won't be as effective, I wonder about Tiger Udyr jungle.

l
l
v Agreed.

Grigorian Tutor

11-11-2012

Quote:
Statikk- In Season Two, strong junglers were typically characterized by high area-of-effect damage, utility skills, and early ganking presence.
Dont you dare touch my Maokia.

GoodwicK

11-11-2012

Quote:
Not many champions can safely start Boots (nor do they want to). Champions that come to mind that could be added to your above list are Shaco, Cho'Gath, Xin Zhao, and Udyr. I'm sure there's others as well.

Though if you are going for a quick early gank gambit (for example Wraiths -> Red -> Level 2 gank) you can probably open up the list a bit more, but that's certainly very risky.

Hunter's Machete is probably going to be the default start for most junglers.

Spirit Stone is intended be able to be bought on your first back if you've done a full Level 4 clear. It's currently sitting at a price of 800g.
@Statikk

Why do you think that it's necessary to make junglers itemize for farming jungle other than starting boots x3 or building towards gp10?

Currently I think there are 3 methods to itemize in the beginning, to farm jungle, to gank successfully, and to gain gold for late game builds.

Personally I believe in starting boots x3 for junglers. boots x3 is the best starter item for anyone, ever. if you don't start boots x3 like everyone else, you suffer from lack of mobility and get kited out or watch your targets escape from you every time.

What are your thoughts on forcing junglers to itemize for jungle and not mobility or gp10 items?

Junmita

11-11-2012

since jungle camps are a lot harder to kill now, how is this going to broaden the spotlight for new junglers?

only because the jungle creep targets the near champion? , making one tank it will probable force him to go back to base, is it really worth it just to let the jungler get his initial kinda-leash?

Elodin

11-11-2012

Statikk, sorry to bug you on this, but Riven jungle has pretty much been the way I pulled myself from 900 elo to 1100 (Not amazing, I know, but it's something) I focused almost entirely on her strong lvl 2 ganks with red and boots and pretty much spent the entire game pressuring lanes to make up for my teammates. (Didn't always work, but when it does it works well.)

How is this new jungle going to affect Riven? Specifically her early game pressure. Is she one who can still do boots/3 (My guess is no, as even in this jungle boots/3 is risky and you can only really take wraiths/red safely with it.)

Does the extra farm make her less of a gank or die jungler, or is it not as noticeable as I'm hoping it will be?

She is somewhat of an AD caster in a bruiser package, so are these new AD items going to make her really strong?

Thanks in advance if you answer.