A Suggestion: More Boots

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uberpuma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I have been thinking about this sort of thing for about a year now and never made a topic post because I was sure it would get buried, heck this still might. However, I noticed that if a thread gets enough attention it can eventually make it's way to the people that can make these ideas happen. The lack of boots often results in many cookie cutter type builds, I'd like to see more effects on boots to create a better build variety, which is something that Riot has been trying to do for a while now and I would imagine is what they are focusing on for season 3. Here are some ideas for balanced boot effects:

TL;DR: More boots are good, read below.

Lifesteal Boots: Give Ad carries more variety, help them break the cookie cutter mold. You don't see people build black cleaver much anymore, give them a reason to! Instead of going with a bloodthirster and berserker's greaves let them build a black cleaver with lifesteal boots. They can sacrifice varying levels of attack speed, lifesteal, and attack damage, but they can also get the effect from black cleaver if that is what they need in that situation.

Spell Vamp Boots: If you need more raw damage from your spells you can go with sorcerer's boots, if you notice the enemy team isn't building much magic resistance or you want to build a void staff to take care of your needs you can go with spell vamp boots for a small self-sustain boost to your spells.

Armor Penetration Boots: We have magic penetration boots, why not show ad carries some love. It would provide another boot option or ad casters like renekton or riven instead of having to build tabis/mercs/lucidities.

Gold/10second Boots: Gives support players more options. You'd hold onto them the entire game and maybe profit like 600 gold or w/e, I don't know the exact end game profits/rates for gp/10s. You may be in favor of having a little bit of a gold boost like that, but you would sacrifice being able to have boots that boost your attack speed, cooldown reduction, etc. A pretty fair trade off in my opinion.

Jungle/Bush Boots: Gives 2 movement bonus, and an additional 2 movement bonus when in brush, when leaving brush it can last for 1-2 seconds more or something.

Those are the primary ones I'd like to see. Other ideas that popped into my head while writing this would be Attack Damage and Ability Power boots, and/or Hp and Mana boots. I don't know how those would be balanced, but the 4 primary ones above would be fine I'd think.

I think these would be great additions to the item lineup for season 3, it would encourage people to change up their builds because they wont be tied down to just a few items for lifesteal or attack speed, etc.

I don't make topics often at all, if ever, so please let me know if this is in the wrong place or if you have tips and/or suggestions, thank you.

Sunny D Lo

11-08-2012

I like the ideas keep up the good work!

I have been telling my friends for a while now that I wish there were gold/10 boots available just to get a little extra income when I jungle or play support (the two main roles expected to buy wards).

Life Steal and Spell Vamp might be asking too much, the designers seem to want to keep those stats away from players (balancing issues) and putting them on boots would make them too available early on in the match.

Another idea might be boots that have an active, something like a dash that could be used as a gap closer or to escape, but can't go through walls, similar to Graves or Gragas

ThorsDragon

11-08-2012

I agree. They need more boot options. I also think that it would b ridiculously hard to balance boots with spell vamp or life steal without making them late or mid game items- which is fine with me, but kind of defeats the point of boots- merc treads are the most expensive at 1200 gold, and that's already putting in the lowest range of non-boot, complete items. (i.e. moonflair spellblade) granted, not a lot of people use these low tier items.... but anyway, I would love to see and expanded selection of boots.

Uberpuma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny D Lo View Post
I like the ideas keep up the good work!

I have been telling my friends for a while now that I wish there were gold/10 boots available just to get a little extra income when I jungle or play support (the two main roles expected to buy wards).

Life Steal and Spell Vamp might be asking too much, the designers seem to want to keep those stats away from players (balancing issues) and putting them on boots would make them too available early on in the match.

Another idea might be boots that have an active, something like a dash that could be used as a gap closer or to escape, but can't go through walls, similar to Graves or Gragas
Thank you for your input! Graves dash can go through walls and so can gragas's, gragas can go through a larger variety of walls, but not all I'm pretty sure. But yes I get what you are saying, an activatable dash would be interesting.

incoming900elo

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberpuma View Post
Thank you for your input! Graves dash can go through walls and so can gragas's, gragas can go through a larger variety of walls, but not all I'm pretty sure. But yes I get what you are saying, an activatable dash would be interesting.
shutup hoe

ChampStat

11-08-2012

Subbing in for Exdeadman as the cold voice of reality(without Ex's permission XD):
Some of these I think are good ideas, however there are a few that won't work.
-getting Spell Vamp in large amounts is problematic, and adding SV shoes could make that problem bigger.
-GP10 boots have been suggested and shot down before, on the basis that it's a bad idea to have a GP10 item that does upgrade and doesn't waste item slots since you'd have boots anyway.
-Armpen boots have also been shot down before, for an explanation go see Exdeadman's "Item Concept Trash Bin."

Vuther

11-08-2012

What are you, a woman?

Ok, I'm done, carry on.

JustMyBassCannon

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampStat View Post
Subbing in for Exdeadman as the cold voice of reality(without Ex's permission XD):
Some of these I think are good ideas, however there are a few that won't work.
-getting Spell Vamp in large amounts is problematic, and adding SV shoes could make that problem bigger.
-GP10 boots have been suggested and shot down before, on the basis that it's a bad idea to have a GP10 item that does upgrade and doesn't waste item slots since you'd have boots anyway.
-Armpen boots have also been shot down before, for an explanation go see Exdeadman's "Item Concept Trash Bin."
Huh, maybe Sonic Nova was right about me having a following.

Anyway, thanks for saying what I was already going to say. And here's the thread he's referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberpuma View Post
Jungle/Bush Boots: Gives 2 movement bonus, and an additional 2 movement bonus when in brush, when leaving brush it can last for 1-2 seconds more or something.
Interesting concept, but you do realize that it would be really powerful on champions with move speed synergy effects, right? Rengar, Garen, Nidalee (whose passive is this except %, so it would stack hugely), a laundry list of junglers...It would be a lot more powerful than you think on several champions.

Vuther

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
Interesting concept, but you do realize that it would be really powerful on champions with move speed synergy effects, right? Rengar, Garen, Nidalee (whose passive is this except %, so it would stack hugely), a laundry list of junglers...It would be a lot more powerful than you think on several champions.
Xypherous specifically mentioned the new passive of Seraph's Embrace is OK to have despite blatantly taking from Blitzcrank's passive concept because Blitz's passive is very useful, but not dramatically character-defining... unlike Nidalee's passive.

Uberpuma

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
Huh, maybe Sonic Nova was right about me having a following.

Anyway, thanks for saying what I was already going to say. And here's the thread he's referring to.

I read your thread, and it explained a little bit about why a lot of these types of ideas wouldn't work, thank you. Out of curiosity, could the jungle boots bonus movement speed be calculated differently than regular movement speed? Have it add the flat 40 or so movement speed at the end of all flat and percentage calculations? That way people with percentage boosts wouldn't be able to abuse the boost so heavily.

As for Nidalee, her passive already permits her to move quickly, one could almost accomplish the same speed issue with boots of swiftness, but she would have constant speed 3 across the map with the additional speed from her passive in bushes. With the bush boots she would get an additional 20 movement speed, but only in bushes and only for 1-2 seconds upon exiting them. The rest of the time outside of bushes the boots are only speed 2s, it honestly doesn't seem to be too bad to me. Speed but with a drawback, just as mobility boots give you the highest form of speed but it is taken away if you take damage. Please let me know if I am missing something crucial in this thought process, just wanna learn.