30 Minute Penalty

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DroskiDro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

For ****'s sake why?

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

11-20-2012
1 of 4 Riot Posts

it is to balance many factors.. including those who want to dodge, those who abuse dodge, and those who want the game to start...

DroskiDro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

I understand the 5 and 10 minute penalties that were previously there, but half an hour? My goodness, I already lose elo for leaving terrible team comps in Ranked, now I need to wait 30 mins to even get into a que?

It just seems... excessive.

Seyunx

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroskiDro View Post
I understand the 5 and 10 minute penalties that were previously there, but half an hour? My goodness, I already lose elo for leaving terrible team comps in Ranked, now I need to wait 30 mins to even get into a que?

You don't lose ELO anymore from dodging ranked queues, but instead you get 30 min - 1hour+ timers, Is so games can actually start in ranked and you donst just dont because you didnt get the team you wanted.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

11-20-2012
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroskiDro View Post

This discussion could get really complicated and long. We removed the Elo penalty for dodging ranked queues, and increased the queue dodge timer to compensate such shift in penalty adjustment. I think if you check your record, you should have lost no Elo due to your queue dodge. As for the 30 minutes queue dodge penalty, it was just a number that best reflect the cause of various interest groups. We have built models to find the most optimal queue dodge penalty for ranked queue; we have learned experience from Dominion (normal) queue where for a long time there was no queue dodge penalty. We are also committed in improve the queue dodge system, so please have patience.

Dazrix

11-20-2012

Kiddington, is there a way I may be able to get in contact with you directly? I'd like to privately discuss the matchmaking/queue dodge penalty etc... if at all possible. Aswell as provide, what I hope you consider to be, constructive and positive suggestions in this area. (I will try to keep subjects I discuss to a minimum, ie, my issue with matchmaking at low levels, and bot/ai games granting experience. I solely wish to discuss the queue dodge penalty in particular)

My summoner name is the same as my forum name. My email, I hope you can find it via my summoner account. (Not posting on the forums)

USnip

11-20-2012

I wish the ranked dodge penalty were something on the order of three hours.

People dodging can get very frustrating and I don't like that they can just go get a sandwich and come back and play.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

11-20-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post
Kiddington, is there a way I may be able to get in contact with you directly? I'd like to privately discuss the matchmaking/queue dodge penalty etc... if at all possible. Aswell as provide, what I hope you consider to be, constructive and positive suggestions in this area. (I will try to keep subjects I discuss to a minimum, ie, my issue with matchmaking at low levels, and bot/ai games granting experience. I solely wish to discuss the queue dodge penalty in particular)

My summoner name is the same as my forum name. My email, I hope you can find it via my summoner account. (Not posting on the forums)
I would suggest you to post your suggestion on the forums, so everyone can see (including every Rioters).

DreamsOfGrandeur

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post

If your ideas are worth discussing, you should be confident enough to post them out in public.

Riot staff don't do private 1-on-1s with just anybody, otherwise they would be obligated to do it with everybody for the sake of common courtesy and as representatives of RiotGames.

Also, no single Riot staff member has control over what goes on, all development is a collaborative effort. So, a private conversation is absolutely meaningless.

kballin

11-20-2012

I agree that a 30 minute dodge penalty is too long. I don't think the predictions of constant dodging because one team thinks their comp is slightly worse than the other team's are nearly as realistic as the naysayers believe. On the other hand, when someone derps up the team comp through lack of communication or stubbornly demanding "top or feed", or the captain forgets to ban blitzcrank, the options are basically dodge or lose. Although champ select is an important part of draft games, I don't think the game should be entirely decided before it begins in solo queue ranked, and it doesn't seem ideal that one person should have to wait for 30 minutes because the rest of the team screwed up.

I suggested this a while ago: add a vote to dodge option to solo ranked queues that gives everyone a 10 minute timeout.